NEXUS 7: Surf the net in Landscape or Portrait most of the time?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Woodcrest64, Nov 30, 2013.

?

NEXUS 7:Do you use Landscape or Portrait mode when surfing the net?

1. Landscape most often

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Portrait most often

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

Just wondering what position most people use their Nexus 7 in when just surfing the net.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I use my browser mostly portrait style on the N7.

I really only use landscape when watching a video, gaming, or remote desktop.

3. itsmeorthedog macrumors member

4. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Portrait. I prefer it. Easier to hold and the screen is so good that you can read small text just fine. I actually like the 7 in 16:10 over 7.9 inch 4:3 ipad mini because of how easy it is to hold in portrait. Also helps that the screen is much better than even the retina mini.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Portrait but the experience is still off compared to the iPad. The aspect ratio makes a huge difference. That's a big part of why I left the Nexus 7 and got an iPad again.

6. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I never browsed the web in Landscape, even on my iPad, the web feels like it was pretty much designed for portrait use so I do that.

7. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Text is too small in portrait. Plus when your lying down portrait is so uncomfortable because its so tall.

Landscape is the only way for me.

8. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Same here. Using my iPad in portrait mode to surf the net AND being able to read everything on screen without zooming in = priceless. I still use my Nexus 7 though for video and gaming purposes though.

Google really, really needs to make a 4:3 ratio Nexus 8! If they do, I'll go back to Google for my tablet needs. If they don't, I'm staying with the iPad.

9. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I no longer have a nexus 7,but when I did I used portrait same as with my current Venue 8 Pro.

10. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

Everyone I know with a Nexus 7 uses it mostly in portrait. Despite Google trying to show it off as a landscape device with the landscape logo and huge bezels.

11. WilliamBateman macrumors regular

Same here. Portrait on a 16x9 7 inch tablet is no good. Android tablet apps are also embarrassingly bad and severely limited compared to iOS tablet apps

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Its true that ios does heave better tablet apps, but there are tradeoffs since Android offers far more functionality. Ios has no file manager which makes it pretty much useless for anything besides light browsing (with no more than 2tabs due to severe lack ram) and Angry Birds.

13. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

Well there's an exaggeration.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Landscape creates a window blind effect to me. It's way narrow and displaying very little actual viewable content.

While N7 portrait was not as good as the iPad, it's vastly better than N7 in landscape mode.

For tablets I think the area of viewable content is key. The 3rd Nexus 7 would be better served with 3:2 or 4:3. 16:10 really detracts from the experience.

15. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I agree that portrait is preferred for web browsing on a tablet but do question your second statement. The web has been around far longer that tablets, at least the recent proliferation and last time I checked, I don't recall seeing anyone use their laptops or desktop monitors sideways. ;)

----------

Completely agree with these sentiments. Truth be told, I don't feel there actually is a better orientation when using the Nexus 7. I generally stick to portrait but find it too narrow and as Lloydbm41 mentioned, have to zoom in/out far too much. Landscape is just far too squashed to be useful for anything other than gaming or video.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

On the contrary the internet was designed with 4:3 800x600 res monitors and landscape orientation.

That being said 4:3 portrait mode feels better than 16:9 portrait mode where for me it's too narrow and elongated.

17. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Yes pages would have been designed for that spec originally but modern websites won't.

The reason I feel like that about websites is because the majority I see, websites seem to hardly ever take advantage of horizontal screen space, sites so often have the content in a narrow band dead in the centre of the page, with huge blank spaces either side, it annoys me seeing them.