Nexus Prime outed with new Android OS (Ice Cream Sandwich). Lets compare it to iP4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Oct 7, 2011.

1. aohus, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

aohus macrumors 68000

Samsung Galaxy Nexus (GT-i9250 + SCH-i515)
    Contoured 4.65 inch SAMOLED+ @ 1280x720
    1.2GHz TI OMAP 4460 Dual Core SoC
    1GB RAM
    5MP Camera + advanced sensors (1080p recording/playback)
    1.3 MP front facing camera
    MHL (acts as a charging/HDMI port)
    NFC ready (Google Wallet)
    CDMA/GSM/LTE ready (will eventually be available on all 4 U.S carriers)
    Will be ~8.8mm thick (as thick as current AT&T SGS II LTE phone)
    No physical/capacitive buttons except for Power, volume buttons
    YOUTUBE video
    [​IMG][​IMG]

iPhone 4S
    Screen: 3.5 inch Retina Display (960 x 640)
    Processor: A5 Dual Core SoC
    RAM: ?
    Camera: 8MP camera + advanced IR filter + 1080p playback
    Network: GSM/CDMA ready (global phone)
    [​IMG]

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I quit comparing specs with iPhone vs others because when it is all said and done, Apple kils the competition with a very intuitive, highly polished software experience that works well because it was designed for that SPECIFIC hardware. :apple:

3. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

It's still Android no matter what you put inside it. Maybe once I can upgrade again in 2013 if Android fixes its flaws then I'll go back. Looks like they are at least taking a step in the right direction with 4.0 although I think it looks more like what Windows Phone 7 should have looked like.

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Compare it? Why?

If you want an iPhone, get an iPhone.
    If you want an Android, get an Android.

No need to rub numbers together so you get the warm fuzzies. Just go buy what you want.
    Its your money to spend, what does it matter what someone else thinks?

5. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I don't want a device with a screen any bigger than 4".

6. Kflik macrumors member

are those specs the for sure specs? last i read on 9to5google they didn't have the official specs, they actually just had conflicting reports from two different places of what the specs may be.

i did watch the video, however is it just me or for such an extremely fast processor i still see the user lag when he scrolls or even touches apps, also i notice he has a very hard time operating that with one hand...something i do a lot while in the car, walking, etc...im guessing a drawback of such a large screen. very cool curved glass look in the promotion though, just don't like androids interface and os.

7. aztooh macrumors 6502a

That phone does NOT have a 4.65" screen

----------

ATT has a very moving video you should watch.

8. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

yes it does. what makes you say it doesn't? multiple reports have confirmed a 4.65 inch screen.

9. lilo777 macrumors 603

How do you know whether you want Android or iPhone without comparing? That is unless you treat the phone/company/whatever as a religion and thus is somehow obliged to buy specific brand.

10. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying the Prime itself won't, I'm saying the phone pictured does not. Looks to be the same size as the Nexus S or Atrix, both of which are 4" (obviously its not either of those, as there are no capacitive buttons). Unless of course that person has ginormous hands. I suppose since the screen is stretched out a bit having no buttons at the bottom it could be close...but doesn't look it to me.

And btw, multiple reports claimed a lot of stuff about a supposed "iPhone 5". I don't believe anything until Samsung/Google tells us.

11. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

are you serious? thats a 4.65 inch screen. there are no capacitive buttons on it. the three buttons on the bottom are part of the screen. its definitely a 4.65 inch screen.

this is 100% confirmed to be the nexus prime. so much so that the original uploaders were told to remove video and screenshots from their website.

theres a big difference between iPhone hype and Android hype. Most of the time Android leaks come through with accuracy, as they generally leak out specs before release of phone. Android handset makers aren't as tight lipped as Apple's.

12. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I mentioned that there are no capactive buttons on it, in the post you quoted no less...no need to point it out to me :D

There's really no need to get upset and ask me if I'm serious..it just doesn't look like a 4.65" screen to me. Not really that big of a deal. Hopefully they'll announce a new date soon.

13. macbd macrumors regular

Let's compare OS names...

Apple: iOS 5 :apple:

Google: Android Ice Cream Sandwich :rolleyes:

14. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

i would have liked it if they didn't make it too big. i was expecting a more compact phone @ 4.65 inches.

this looks the same size as the droidx, maybe even bigger. kind of on the fence with this one. if only Apple came out with their iPhone 5 this year... argh

15. LostTitan macrumors newbie

Is that the battery level after 9 minutes of use?

16. Rhonen macrumors member

Rhonen

That's interesting, like how iOS4 was designed specifically for the 3G? Boy, it sure ran great on that specific piece of hardware it was designed for.

So which specific hardware is iOS5 designed for? The 3GS? 4? 4S? Ipad? Ipad2? iPod touch 3rd gen? 4th gen? That's 7 different pieces of hardware, 3 phones, 2 tablets, 2 ipods, which one is iOS5 specifically designed for again?

17. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Call me whatever, but the UI doesn't look anything amazing to me. More like a customized gingerbread themed launcher. With similar base functionality. Just don't like that android still focuses on customization instead of function.

HTC Titan and Nokia N9 > Nexus Prrime.

Let the flaming begin.

18. Rhonen macrumors member

Rhonen

As much as I think a 3.5" screen is too small, yea, 4.65" is too big.

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

Thank you, Matias Duarte (webOS fame), for making Android finally look decent in stock. I can always customize it to make it look the way I want it, but stock ICS looks pretty nice to start with. If the Galaxy Note doesn't come to the U.S., then I hope Prime comes to AT&T and not become a long Verizon exclusive.

The "plastic casing" doesn't bother me as long as I don't feel any creaks and the battery cover is easy to remove. I've owned other phones where it seemed like hell just to take it out. This makes it easy to do battery pulls or replacement and do SIM swaps. When a phone becomes like glass like the iP4/4s, I can become more paranoid with it when it drops. It is like it can be so beautiful and be such a fingerprint magnet on both sides that I don't want to give it a rugged treatment. I become more OCD that way. With plastic, I can throw it around and not seem to care. I like that it gets 320ppi at that screen size. By the time we get over 300ppi, our eyes can't tell the difference anymore. "More than meets the eye."

If no Note for U.S. users, than either Prime or the HTC Sensation XE or XL.

Interesting to see that HTC Sensation XL is promoted as a white phone similar to Apple now pushing the WHITE 4S in their ad. White gadgets can be the new thing again just like white iPods from 6-10 years ago.

20. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I've said this before, people have their own taste and preferences, and will use whatever platform they want. That's true for all things in life; it's all relative.

Having said that, I don't think people realize how stable the Android platform has become. I'm speaking solely about stock Android on the Nexus phones. There is little to no lag (to be perfectly honest, the iPh4 lags when using folders...) and there is virtually no need to ever reboot (this is true for my iPhone experience as well before I switched). Yet the customization that Android allows gives a more fun and personal experience. iOS is pages of icons.

Again, if you love iOS, more power to you. Just want to point out, Android's come a long way and people shouldn't bash it unless they've used it recently. Times have changed.

21. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

i know. a lot of complaints i hear are from folks that used Android from pre Android 2.2 days. Thats an eternity in my opinion. A lot of positive changes have happened on the platform since.

I do prefer Android OS as I am sick and tired of the grid of icons of iOS as it lacks some important features, most notably LED notification light and in-house navigation application.

22. Skaterbasist macrumors member

What's to compare? The iPhone 4 hasn't even been thoroughly tested. And the Nexus Prime hasn't even been released. :confused:

The specs are not verified specs. You know, like how every article prior to the iP4S launch claimed a redesign and 4" screen?

23. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

THIS people

wait until the specs are out