NFC for other things too?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RobbySkateboard, Sep 9, 2014.

1. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

Do you think apple has put a block on the NFC chip so it can't be accessed by third party apps or will it be free to use? I know apple has a habit of including cool tech but not letting people access it right away. I want to be able to not just use the NFC for payments, but also to set up a car mode if I put it in a certain spot of my car, a night mode for when I put it on my night stand, and many other things too that android users have been able to do for years. Will iphone 6/6+ have that ability too?

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

It wouldn't be so much a block on the chip rather than iOS (and relative APIs) not supporting it.

3. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

NFC has a universal protocol. Whether or not iOS allows the phone to read those certain NFC stickers, transmit data to other phones or alter UI settings is the question. I don't think we will know for sure until we get our hands on the phone.
    I personally have NFC tags and Lumia and Android phones that are NFC capable, so I will be trying it out as soon as I get my iPhone 6.

4. RobbySkateboard thread starter macrumors regular

this is pretty much the only reason I've wanted NFC for as long as it's been available. I mean, mobile payments is cool and all, but really I haven't found grabbing my card to be that big of an issue, especially considering that I try to use cash more often than not.

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Possibly in the future, maybe.

But Apple isn't really talking about 'NFC', it's talking about 'Apple Pay'.

NFC means nothing to a lot of users, but Apple is hoping 'Apple Pay' will.

Apple limits bluetooth, it can't send music, videos or photos to friends (Not without 3rd party apps) so I can see Apple limiting NFC in the same way.