NFC technology is coming..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Jul 10, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Only rumours on here but looks like Apple will indeed go with this and integrate it with IOS6.

I think it will be a game changer and make the Iphone 5 another massive success.

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

3. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

In time, I agree. But it will take a few years before retailers incorporate it into their POS systems.

4. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

But Apple will really set it off. If it just remained on other phones it would be a niche but The Iphone 5 will be the phone known for paying by card..posters will all have the Iphone shape I bet. :cool:

5. Phokus macrumors regular

Good job catching up to android 2 years ago, if true :p

6. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

That's all great and stuff, but it will be useless until others start implementing it - and thus it will only be when the seventh or eight generation comes out (mind you, this so-called "iPhone 5" IS the sixth generation iPhone).

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Nokia was first ;)

8. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

It's going to revolutionize the way we use smartphones :eek:

btw, Japanese phones (dumb phones and smartphones) have had NFC for years.

9. R1PPER macrumors 6502

As far as NFC are concerned they are in iphone 5. This doesn't necessarily mean that NFC is in iphone 5. Apple reserve the right to postpone until iphone 6...if they deem NFC to be abit of a hot potato.

10. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Apple holds 27 NFC patents. I suspect they will start using them soon.

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

So what you're saying is that Android users have been paying extra since 2010 for technology to be incorporated into their phone that is not widely used? So the initial R&D cost and whatever space that has been sacrificed to incorporate this has been in place since 2010 and there has yet to be a mainstream use for it? Glad I'm not an android user anymore...

12. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

13. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Same when Microsoft released tablets years ago.

Ipad reinvented it. Nobody is interested in Samsungs NFC efforts it will really take off when Apple do it. :cool:

14. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Wishful thinking on your part, nothing more. Before you start a rumor like this you might want to have a little understanding of how NFC works. If you had researched the topic a bit, you would know that NFC chips can not transmit through any sort of metal, regardless of thickness. So, until the iphone implements a back plate with a non-metallic substance, NFC will not be in the iPhone. Sorry.

----------

While I agree that it will take Apple to really mainstream NFC, to make a comment like no one is intrested in Samsung's NFC efforts is nothing but bias on your part. You know those athletes that are coming to your country to do a bunch of running and jumping and throwing... Samsung is a major sponsor and there are apparently a bunch of NFC pay points around London specifically for NfC users. I think this is a great start to get people talking about the tech, which most people still don't know about.

----------

Has little to do with Android and the phones using NFC and more to do with banks and shops retrofitting existing credit card machines to accept pay pass. For those in theUK, what do you think chip and pin cards are? A form of NFC. This is just an evolution of that.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Fact: 2006 Nokia 6131 was the first NFC phone.

It's as simple as that... :)

16. cynics, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

cynics macrumors G4

Paying extra for unused technology > paying extra for profit margin

Besides how much more mainstream does it need to be?

Mcdonalds
    Sunoco
    Sports Authority
    Best Buy
    CVS
    Radio shack
    Jack in the box
    Einstein brothers
    Office Max
    Macy's
    Old Navy
    Toys r us
    Walgreens
    Pink berry
    Jumba juice
    Footlocker
    GAP
    Duanereade
    Guess
    American Eagle
    Champs
    Banana republic
    Any gas station that takes pay pass (a lot)
    Certain vending machines
    7-11
    WaWa
    Etc etc I probably left out a dozen or so.
    Coming soon to Subway I believe

Other places I wouldn't use it anyway, like a restaurant I wouldn't want someone taking my phone in the back. I wouldn't mind to have been using it for quite sometime now, just never had a device with it integrated.

17. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Game Changer? No for two reasons:

1. If anyone changed the game, it would be the Galaxy Nexus for bringing it first

2. The Galaxy Nexus did almost nothing to the market in terms of NFC. Only a small percentage of owners use it, and those that have (including myself) only tried it for the free money Google Wallet gave you to try it.

18. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

We must be reading different threads. I thought we were DIRECTLY talking abuot smartphones and NFC technology...

So you don't think things will change if/when Apple integrates this into the iPhone? As in, you feel it's as adopted by consumers as it will ever be? It's officially "mainstream"?

You may feel that paying more for unused technology is better than simply paying a premium for something that works but that's YOUR opinion. Considering something like a cell phone that I use EVERY day multiple times per day and I see as a safety tool for someone like my wife who may get stranded in a not-so-good neighborhood, I'll gladly pay the premium to apple for a device that works versus a device that has half-cooked hardware/software features that could impede the ability to perform main functions. I'm not saying NFC technology is such a thing... I'm just saying that I don't want to PAY to be the guinea pig for a technology that I won't use until it *truely* becomes mainstream.

What?! The Galaxy nexus is the game changer for bringing it first? The iPhone wasn't a game changer because it wasn't the first smartphone was it? The iPad wasn't a game changer because it wasn't the first tablet? Apple has proved time and time again that you don't have to be FIRST to be a "game changer". Aside from apple even -- google wasn't the first search engine by any means so I'm assuming it did NOTHING to revolutionize the way we search the web... Amazon wasn't the first e-tailor so let's forget everything they've done for the industry... the list goes on.

As you've summarized in your contradictory numbered points, "first mover" does NOT equate to "game changer"... the Galaxy nexus incorporating NFC technology is a prime example of this.

I don't even know why I keep going on and on about this... I honestly care more about what I'm going to listen to on the raido on my drive home from work than I care about NFC technology, who had it first, who's going to have it next, and how widely adapted it will become...

19. cynics macrumors G4

No, your confused. I said >profit margin. I did the samething when I did sales. I'd give the high price, simply saying "can you do any better" would be all it takes to get a lower price. Still get the same quality (just works) product. I understand the reasoning, charge as much as you can get...nothing wrong with that especially for a product a person doesn't NEED.

Sure, mainstream is relative in this circumstance depending on whether you have an NFC device. Regardless MasterCard and Visa support the technology so the biggest credit card companies on the planet. I do agree and think Apple will really push the envelope with NFC but can things get "more" mainstream? Since more people will become iPhone users when the 5/6 comes out does that mean the iPhone isn't mainstream now? Of course not....

The companies with half cooked hardware are the companies that supply hardware to Apple for the iPhone. NFC has been used for a long time, it was passed the guinea pig stage before it was in a phone.

What version of the iPhone do you and your wife own/use? I have a 4S 16gb.......

20. McCaffers macrumors member

I embrace this future with open arms.

Killer feature? It can also sync with your car to unlock and start the engine.

That's my prediction. Maybe iPhone 7.

No more keys or money, just a phone.

21. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I kept reading in here that it isnt anything special when others who have Androids with it were talking about it :D

----------

You mean...like plastic? :eek: Oh that would just feel "cheap" :rolleyes:

----------

I agree. Facetime still isnt real popular

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Who brought NFC to the mobile phone first is irrelevant. Who makes NFC a standard payment method throughout the world is what matters. Will Apple be the one to do this? They could be. I know there are plenty of places locally (and I don't currently reside in a big city) that allow NFC payments. Seeing it everywhere would certainly be convenient.

23. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Who is paying extra for these phones? Certainly isnt us but i see you have no problem paying Apple extra. My GS3 is still cheaper than a iP4S off contract.

24. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Consider how Apple thinks on matters like this:

According to Tim Cook: “Can we control the key technology? Can we make a significant contribution far beyond what others have done in this area?”

If Apple can't answer yes to these two questions, then there will be no NFC in iPhones. If all one can envision is walking to Jamba Juice and swiping their phone to pay for something, then I don't think NFC is bound for Apple.

Start thinking like Apple. How can Apple add NFC in a way that no other device can, and how can it be added in a way that only benefits iOS users and Apple.

Bank on the Apple store experience changing. Plan on iTunes integration. Figure you'll be able to walk into Best Buy with your wifi only iPad or iPod Touch and be able to buy content via NFC that goes directly on to your device.

It could be huge.

25. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

You wanna know how? Here's,a scenario.

Apple integrates itunes with NFC. Apple then gets certain banks and retail outlets to work in conjunction with them at a cost of 3 cents to the dollar for a specified number of years. Apple makes NFC popular, and every retail outlet and bank will then work with Apple after the specified contract period ends with those exclusive partners. By 2015 Apple stock is north of $1000 a share and Apple has 1 trillion dollars cash on hand. Apple then buys the Bahama's, opens their own banking system and moves their HQ offshore, no longer paying US taxes. By 2020, Apple creates the first sentient AI and the robot industry is born. By 2035, there is an iRobot in every home. By 2050, humanity has been assimilated by cybernetics in the pursuit of perfection. Humanity no longer exists. And it all started with the NFC chip.