NFL considering 15 yard penalty for kneeling during national anthem

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 22, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

This is so ridiculous. Why does the anthem even need to be played before every game? Save it for the Super Bowl and maybe playoff games. Or just keep the teams off the field until the game starts. I love my country and consider myself a patriotic person but I don’t get why the anthem has to be sung before sporting events. And how many people who are watching on TV at home or at a bar are paying attention to the singing of the anthem except maybe for the Super Bowl? I guarantee you they’re not standing with hand over their chest while it’s being sung. And what about the people in the stadium using the bathroom or getting food/drinks? Are they not patriotic? Do they need to be shamed too? It’s the biggest bunch of nonsense all started by someone who’s still PO’d that he was never able to join the club of NFL owners.

2. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

3. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

How about we get rid of a song honoring an inanimate object?

Or how about we only do it during the superbowl and we make the anthem less about the country itself and more about only those who honorably served or something?

It's routine, mundane, boring, takes up too much time, etc.

I'm all for paying respect to servicemen and women, I love the country we live in even with an orange plague blanketing it, etc. But really, it means nothing. Standing up and putting your hand over your heart while staring at a flag is no more patriotic than kneeling or any other activity. What about people who stand and don't remove their hat? Or put their hand on their heart? Or duck out real quick to use the restroom? Or pretend to be paying attention but are thinking about getting to homeplate with their date for the first time?

Just like marriage, just like choosing which restroom to use, etc. Kneel or stand, sit or pick your nose, I don't care... to each their own.

*I should have read the original post in full before parroting the same things, lol. Trigger-topic.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The owners and the league are free to do whatever they want, if a player doesn't like it then they don't have to play. They aren't entitled to play football for a living. My guess is the league and their owners are tired of politics creeping into their business and they want to clean it up. A player can be an activist and a football player, they're just tired of them doing it on company time.

5. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

This would be ridiculously cowardly on the NFL’s part.

If you don’t want kneeling then just fricking ban it. You kneel, automatic 4 game suspension and a $50,000 fine. Boom. No more kneeling.

Assessing a 15 yard penalty does absolutely nothing except pushes it down to the individual teams as a disciplinary issue to handle. If the league doesn’t like it the league should do something about it.

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Here’s the deal: the week before Donald Trump decided to make this an issue all of 6 players across the NFL knelt during the anthem. It wasn’t an issue anymore and nobody was even talking about it until Trump decided to make it an issue for political purposes. And then players knelt because he called them SOBs. It was Trump that decided to politicize it. The best the NFL could do is stop playing it other than the Super Bowl or not have the teams come on the field until the game is to start.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Pretty sure Kraperpick was kneeling/sitting due to what he felt were racial injustices. Regardless of what Trump says, the NFL and the owners are the ones who handle it. If they want to squash political demonstrations during working hours they're free as an organization to do so, if the players don't like it then during the next round of collective bargaining they are free to bring it up.

8. BeeGood, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I agree that it would have likely died off on its own, but it was definitely political (well, social I guess) before Trump took notice and decided to escalate the issue.

I’m kind of agnostic towards whether the anthem should be played, and the kneeling itself doesn’t bother me. I don’t agree with it but it’s their right. However, their right to kneel ends where the employer’s time begins and the NFL could do a heck of a lot more than just duck and dodge the issue by not playing the anthem or keeping the teams off the field during.

Like I said above, man up and ban it if you don’t like it. There’s a reason we don’t see this in the NBA. Their commissioner isn’t having it and he has stated so.

9. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

What if players on both teams kneel? You can't very well penalize both sides 15 yards; that'd be stupid. HMMMM... ;)

Oh no, not this s--- again... The league and team owners aren't entitled to having players run around making vast amounts of money for them without them not even lifting as much as a finger to earn it. This dumb door swings both ways, you know.

Streisand Effect. Smart people know how to avoid it; President Dunning Kruger does not.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

How much do some of these guys make? Wasn’t Kap’s contract north of $100 million? There’s about 2 owners who make what they make because they own a team or are part of an ownership stake. The rest their money was made beforehand.

Yeah shut it down, I’ll put my money on the owners doing fine without the team as opposed to the swathes of players who managed to make it to half their college classes for their cultural studies degree.

11. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I agree. It's like any other business. The players feel entitled and the kneeling is only one of the many problem the NFL faces.

Putting in the penalty will not solve the kneeling problem and it should really be the teams and their collective bargaining where any problems should be discussed.

Anyways, how can the fans take football seriously when the teams decided to keep Roger Goodell ?

12. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

LOL, no it doesn’t.

They own the league. They call the shots. They make the rules. That’s how every sports organization on the planet works, from the NFL to FIFA to the Premier League to the NBA.
    --- Post Merged, May 22, 2018 ---
    Yup, and Matt Ryan makes almost as much as Commisioner Godell.

It’s terrible how badly the league is exploiting these guys with their collectively bargained compensation system.

13. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

They're still "entitled" to sweet fanny adams though. Players join their league because they desire it; not because they're obligated to. If the players bail their precious league will crash and burn, as is the way of things in a capitalist economy.

14. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It’s not an “entitlement” if you earn it. And by owning the revenue-generating asset (the teams), they are, in fact, earning what they get. Just because you don’t like it or think it’s “unfair” doesn’t mean they’re not earning it.

And players play pro ball because they want to get rich and they love the game. Do you honestly believe that players feel like they’re doing the league a favor when literally millions of kids fantasize about playing in the NFL?

Each year 250ish players get drafted out of thousands of draft-eligible collegiate players. If every single player in the league decided to quit (they won’t..see above) there will literally be 10 guys for every one that left trying to get that spot.

15. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Standing up for the national anthem is about as patriotic as burping or farting America The Beautiful.

Kneel, stand, sit, cry, take your hat off, leave it on... who cares.

If it was part of a funeral or some sort of actual ceremony, I get it. Doing it before two NFL teams compete or John Cena battles whoever the hell else still wrestles these days? Who gives a flying ****?

16. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I agree that the players must follow what the league or individual teams decide. I think the NFL should make the decision and get rid of the anthem except during the playoffs and Super Bowl. Let sporting events be sporting events not a test of ones patriotism.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This will only end poorly. Let people kneel it doesn't make a difference anyway.

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I guess my question to that would be, why should the league do away with something that it values? Just to appease a couple of malcontents? There was nothing problematic about the anthem before this kneeling business started.

19. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Has zilch to do with National Anthem. I haven’t been to a football game in my entire life where the anthem wasn’t played, or any sport for that matter. Your articles are about military members being at games.
    --- Post Merged, May 22, 2018 ---
    It’s always been there. You hate it so much, don’t go.

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I like the song in conjunction with the kneeling.

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

This might actually work... shows how selfish they are when the whole team has to pay.

Really though, who would get away with protesting at work on company time?

The NFL should have stopped this before they lost billions that are never coming back

22. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

The same ones who get paid to stand still while a boring song plays.

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I see ... not everyone has respect for the Anthem and what it stands for.

24. AsherN macrumors 6502

When the anthem is played at every possible occasion, it loses a lot of gravitas and respect.

25. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It would have been so easy to do. Heck, it’s still easy, and the league, for whatever reason, won’t do anything about it.

They clearly don’t want players kneeling. Kaep is good enough to be a backup, but he’s not on a roster. Neither is Eric Reid, and he made the pro bowl a few years ago. Their stance on kneeling is making them unemployable.

It’s like the league prefers to make these little passive-aggressive statements as opposed to saying “no more of this”. I really don’t understand it.