Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has been fined $10,000 for wearing Apple's Beats by Dre headphones following a ban on the brand after the NFL signed an exclusive deal with Bose.

Kaepernick opted to wear bright pink Beats by Dre headphones following last Sunday's game against the Chiefs, in order to "pay homage to Breast Cancer Awareness." Kaepernick declined to say whether Beats paid his fine, saying "I'm going to let that be unanswered."

beatsheadphonesfine.jpg
Kaepernick, along with a number of other high-profile NFL players, has an endorsement deal with Beats. Last year, he starred in a popular Beats ad that depicted him tuning out the negative comments and boos of opposing fans by wearing Beats noise-canceling headphones.

Bose and the NFL signed a sponsorship agreement before the season began, but last week the NFL decided to ban players from wearing Beats headphones in front of television cameras to support its sponsor. Players are not allowed to wear them when conducting interviews during training camp, during practice sessions, or on game day, from before the event until 90 minutes after play has ended.

This is the second time Beats headphones have been banned from major sporting events. Earlier this year, World Cup headphone sponsor Sony banned soccer players from wearing Beats headphones within stadiums, and during the London Olympics, the International Olympic Committee ended up banning Beats headphones after a guerrilla marketing campaign because the company was not an official sponsor.

Article Link: San Francisco 49ers Quarterback Fined $10k for Defying No Beats Headphones Rule

lowepg

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2014
Beats might get more play out of this thing that Bose does.... love it.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I hope this whole thing blows up in the NFL's face. I would never buy beats, but to tell people what headphones they can wear is ridiculous.

Akzel

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
LOL, Streisand effect. Now people will pay extra attention to Beats phones, trying to catch the "transgressors" on the field.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
this is idiotic people get fined less for illegal hits... shows how much the league actually cares about their players.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Reminds me of that scene when the baseball player wouldn't sign the kids card (whose father was in the hospital) because it was the wrong brand of baseball card. To quote the kid: **** YOU!

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Did the player sign contracts agreeing to this?

probably not but i'm sure it has something to do with their original contract with the team which has a contract with the NFL. stupid but whatever?

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
These players are dumber than I thought...but it's Sherman and Kaep so not really a surprise.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
These players are dumber than I thought...but it's Sherman and Kaep so not really a surprise.

You really think their specific deals with Beats doesn't pay enough to cover a few fines? They're no smarter or dumber then anyone else, they'll pay the fine until it's no longer in their best interest to do so.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I am surprised they can even do something like this. Seems to be a massive violation of personal freedom.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I agree that if the players feel strongly about a cause, then it definitely is put your money where your mouth is."

Even if Beats paid the fine, big whup!

Go Apple :apple:

Exactly. There's no way of anyone but the player and Beats winning in this particular scenario. If the NFL keeps the money, it'll look like they don't care about breast cancer. If Bose complains as well, they'll look horrible. Either way this guy ends up looking like he cares more about the cause than Bose's marketing ploy. The real question is, how far do the NFL and Bose want to push this issue before people get angry with them. The NFL does NOT need more of the "we hate women" headlines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.