NFL Rejects Gun Company's Super Bowl Commercial

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
In case you missed it...

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2013/12/01/nfl-bans-super-bowl-gun-commercial-n1754647

Although I agree that Fox and the NFL should be allowed to choose what they air and believe they shouldn't even have to have a reason to not air it, by offering a reason it opens them up to criticism. The reason the NFL and Fox are giving is crap.

The firearms portion of the NFL’s Prohibited Advertising Categories states:

“5. Firearms, ammunition or other weapons are prohibited; however, stores that sell firearms and ammunitions (e.g., outdoor stores and camping stores) will be permitted, provided they sell other products and the ads do not mention firearms, ammunition or other weapons.”
The store that wants to advertise is an actual store and they sell others things besides guns.

And the commercial doesn't even mention guns, ammunition or anything like that.

But Bob Costas can go on an anti gun rant and that's ok.:rolleyes:

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Dude, come on.

The company is named "Daniel's Defense". The guy in the commercial says that in order to defend his family, he's chosen the "most effective tool for the job". Plus "no one has the right to tell me how to defend my family".

Riiiiight, he's *totally* not talking about guns, wink-wink-nudge-nudge.

PS - Hot wife actress alert!

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
Dude, come on.

The company is named "Daniel's Defense". The guy in the commercial says that in order to defend his family, he's chosen the "most effective tool for the job". Plus "no one has the right to tell me how to defend my family".

Riiiiight, he's *totally* not talking about guns, wink-wink-nudge-nudge.

PS - Hot wife actress alert!
But they can advertise games and movies showing guns and killing. They can advertise for security systems where in the commercial the family is being threatened by a knife or gun toting criminal.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
The store that wants to advertise is an actual store and they sell others things besides guns.
What's an "actual" store and how does it differ from any other store?

from your article said:
Daniel Defense, one of the nation’s leading manufacturers and retailers in the firearms industry, was willing to pay top dollar for a commercial in the 2014 NFL Super Bowl.
They're a gun shop. Doesn't mean they only sell guns. They probably sell tons of different accessories, hunting clothing, etc. But when you market yourself as a gun shop, then what do you expect? It's not like the NFL just made this up out of thin air.. they have quite set guidelines as to what can appear in their ads.

Did you even watch it?

The last line goes "So I've chosen the most effective tool for the job." and then it cuts to the company name "Daniel Defense" on a graphic with the silhouette of a rifle.

Can't say that I'm surprised by this. But I do find it interesting considering the number of beer commercials that are aired during NFL games and how dangerous alcohol is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/11/alcohol-related-deaths-_n_821900.html

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/alcohol.htm
So quick to attempt to deflect the topic off guns... :confused:

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
But they can advertise games and movies showing guns and killing.
Fantasy != Reality. Plus, no one is selling weapons in those commercials, which is the whole point of their rule.

They can advertise for security systems where in the commercial the family is being threatened by a knife or gun toting criminal.
Security systems don't kill people (or people don't use security systems as a tool to kill people, if you prefer).

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
So quick to attempt to deflect the topic off guns... :confused:
I'm not criticizing the NFL for not airing the commercial. They have every right to determine what they advertise. But I do find it interesting that they air thousands of commercials advertising beer over the course of a season. And studies have shown how dangerous alcohol can be. So it is interesting to me that one dangerous product is banned (guns) and another is not (alcohol).

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
I'm not criticizing the NFL for not airing the commercial. They have every right to determine what they advertise. But I do find it interesting that they air thousands of commercials advertising beer over the course of a season. And studies have shown how dangerous alcohol can be. So it is interesting to me that one dangerous product is banned (guns) and another is not (alcohol).
I just can't see gun commercials stating "Shoot Responsibly".

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
In case you missed it...

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2013/12/01/nfl-bans-super-bowl-gun-commercial-n1754647

Although I agree that Fox and the NFL should be allowed to choose what they air and believe they shouldn't even have to have a reason to not air it, by offering a reason it opens them up to criticism. The reason the NFL and Fox are giving is crap.

Yeah, the all powerful hypocritical NFL.

Ad that indirectly talks about guns, BANNED!

Ads that show DEATH, MUTILATION, even with guns, BRING EM!

Yeah, the NFL, we ban commercials to make it look like we care.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Go read the NFL rules. They talk about brick and mortar stores and virtual stores.
Neither of which changes the fact that this store sells guns and the NFL's rules explicitly state "Firearms, ammunition, or other weapons are prohibited."

The company's logo in the commercial is the "Daniel Defense" text superimposed over the silhouette of a rifle. That's a pretty cut and dry violation of the NFL's rules.

Furthermore, when the guy says "I choose the right tool for the job", he might not explicitly say "I choose a gun" but everyone damn well knows what he means. The NFL & it's broadcasting partners can do whatever they damn well please within FCC regulations, so if they don't want to broadcast this clear fear-mongering commercial, they don't have to.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
The NFL & it's broadcasting partners can do whatever they damn well please within FCC regulations, so if they don't want to broadcast this clear fear-mongering commercial, they don't have to.
I agree that they can air whatever they want.

Fear mongering? Like the "I've fallen and can't get up" or the ADT alarm ones or even Costas moronic rant isn't?

The right tool for the job could be an alarm...they sell those at DD. Or a camera system...they sell those too. It could be a knife....they sell those too. Could be a tazer....they can get those to. Or maybe pepper spray, they sell that too.

They don't say what the right tool for the job is because that tool is different for different people. Fear mongering is what you are doing.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

The right tool for the job could be an alarm...they sell those at DD. Or a camera system...they sell those too. It could be a knife....they sell those too. Could be a tazer....they can get those to. Or maybe pepper spray, they sell that too.
They sell alarms and surveillance cameras? Really? Their website should probably have those products on there if they are selling them because it's quite difficult to sell products that you don't even advertise that you are selling. There's not one thing on their website about surveillance cameras or alarms.

https://danieldefense.com

Feel free to link me to the pages selling alarms and surveillance cameras if you can find them. I took a quick look and search and don't see them anywhere.

Fear mongering? Like the "I've fallen and can't get up" or the ADT alarm ones or even Costas moronic rant isn't?

They don't say what the right tool for the job is because that tool is different for different people.
They don't say what the "right tool for the job" is because they're trying to be subtle so they could sneak the ad in through the NFL's regulation by claiming they don't actually explicitly mention a gun just like you said.

They fail because they use a gun in their logo, and as soon as anyone does any search or research on this company, all that comes up are guns. I searched their company on Google Images to see if I could find that logo from the commercial to post in the thread.. I couldn't. The only images that showed up were a bunch of guns. Their meta data on the google search doesn't come up as "an outdoors store" like a Bass Pro Shops or something, it comes up with "Daniel Defense: Offers a range of AR15 parts and accessories like slings and uppers.".

The entire tone of the ad is fear mongering. They take a vet from Iraq/Afghanistan and stereotype that when he "returns home" he needs a gun to protect his family. Why do they use a vet? Praying on vets with PTSD and similar who now because of their experience in a war zone don't feel safe anywhere without a gun? Then they show the textbook pretty wife and the defenseless child and make it seem like the only way to keep them "safe" is to own a gun. Nevermind all the studies and statistics that indicate people who keep a gun in their home are much more likely to be involved in some incident with a gun than people who don't. This stuff is all marketing 101.

The vast majority of citizens in this country feel perfectly safe without needing to carry around a gun with them at all times. We hear about gun crimes way more with twitter and the 24 hour media cycle, and it's no doubt a big problem, but statistically this country is still much safer than it was 50 years ago.

Fear mongering is what you are doing.
Please elaborate. :confused: This is about as silly as you not even knowing what a straw man was in the other thread last week.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

They don't say what the right tool for the job is because that tool is different for different people. Fear mongering is what you are doing.

How odd. I did a product search on their web site and only came up with one knife. No alarms. No camera systems. No tazers.

I did notice their phone number though, (866) 554-GUNS

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
In case you missed it...

Thank you for providing ample justification (outside of the obligatory "because I can", and "I'll control what content goes into my children's heads") on why tune in to watch the Puppy Bowl instead.

How odd. I did a product search on their web site and only came up with one knife. No alarms. No camera systems. No tazers.

I did notice their phone number though, (866) 554-GUNS
Bazinga!

BL.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
The store that wants to advertise is an actual store and they sell others things besides guns....
just selling "other things" doesn't really seem to satisfy the NFL rule that makes it clear they're open to;

(e.g., outdoor stores and camping stores)
a gun store that incidentally sells "other things" despite having a primary focus on selling guns isn't a camping store, no matter how hard they pretend :p

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Reminds me of one of those parties one reads about: a bunch of guys, sitting around sipping on their whisky; one of them says, "Hey everybody, let me show you my gun collection!"

From a courtroom perspective, how do you apportion the damage? Does it matter?

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
The company's logo in the commercial is the "Daniel Defense" text superimposed over the silhouette of a rifle. That's a pretty cut and dry violation of the NFL's rules.
They also offered to change that to an American flag and that wasn't enough.

----------

Feel free to link me to the pages selling alarms and surveillance cameras if you can find them. I took a quick look and search and don't see them anywhere.
Ummm....call them? Or go into the store? Not everything a company sells is on the website. Not even Cabela's.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
Actually this is a brilliant campaign. The ad is being played over and over on the news and being reposted on social media, and we are even talking about it here and now have a link to their site from here. The owner is being interviewed by Fox and CNN and tons of other stations both on TV and the radio, I even heard him on XM this morning.

All for free.