NFL Rejects Gun Company's Super Bowl Commercial

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by EvilQueen, Dec 2, 2013.

1. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

In case you missed it...

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2013/12/01/nfl-bans-super-bowl-gun-commercial-n1754647

Although I agree that Fox and the NFL should be allowed to choose what they air and believe they shouldn't even have to have a reason to not air it, by offering a reason it opens them up to criticism. The reason the NFL and Fox are giving is crap.

The store that wants to advertise is an actual store and they sell others things besides guns.

And the commercial doesn't even mention guns, ammunition or anything like that.

But Bob Costas can go on an anti gun rant and that's ok.:rolleyes:

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Dude, come on.

The company is named "Daniel's Defense". The guy in the commercial says that in order to defend his family, he's chosen the "most effective tool for the job". Plus "no one has the right to tell me how to defend my family".

Riiiiight, he's *totally* not talking about guns, wink-wink-nudge-nudge.

PS - Hot wife actress alert!

4. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

But they can advertise games and movies showing guns and killing. They can advertise for security systems where in the commercial the family is being threatened by a knife or gun toting criminal.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

What's an "actual" store and how does it differ from any other store?

They're a gun shop. Doesn't mean they only sell guns. They probably sell tons of different accessories, hunting clothing, etc. But when you market yourself as a gun shop, then what do you expect? It's not like the NFL just made this up out of thin air.. they have quite set guidelines as to what can appear in their ads.

Did you even watch it?

The last line goes "So I've chosen the most effective tool for the job." and then it cuts to the company name "Daniel Defense" on a graphic with the silhouette of a rifle.

So quick to attempt to deflect the topic off guns... :confused:

6. lannister80, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Fantasy != Reality. Plus, no one is selling weapons in those commercials, which is the whole point of their rule.

Security systems don't kill people (or people don't use security systems as a tool to kill people, if you prefer).

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm not criticizing the NFL for not airing the commercial. They have every right to determine what they advertise. But I do find it interesting that they air thousands of commercials advertising beer over the course of a season. And studies have shown how dangerous alcohol can be. So it is interesting to me that one dangerous product is banned (guns) and another is not (alcohol).

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I just can't see gun commercials stating "Shoot Responsibly".

10. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Yeah, the all powerful hypocritical NFL.

Ad that indirectly talks about guns, BANNED!

Ads that show DEATH, MUTILATION, even with guns, BRING EM!

Yeah, the NFL, we ban commercials to make it look like we care.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

12. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Go read the NFL rules. They talk about brick and mortar stores and virtual stores.

----------

Why not, we do.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Neither of which changes the fact that this store sells guns and the NFL's rules explicitly state "Firearms, ammunition, or other weapons are prohibited."

The company's logo in the commercial is the "Daniel Defense" text superimposed over the silhouette of a rifle. That's a pretty cut and dry violation of the NFL's rules.

Furthermore, when the guy says "I choose the right tool for the job", he might not explicitly say "I choose a gun" but everyone damn well knows what he means. The NFL & it's broadcasting partners can do whatever they damn well please within FCC regulations, so if they don't want to broadcast this clear fear-mongering commercial, they don't have to.

14. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree that they can air whatever they want.

Fear mongering? Like the "I've fallen and can't get up" or the ADT alarm ones or even Costas moronic rant isn't?

The right tool for the job could be an alarm...they sell those at DD. Or a camera system...they sell those too. It could be a knife....they sell those too. Could be a tazer....they can get those to. Or maybe pepper spray, they sell that too.

They don't say what the right tool for the job is because that tool is different for different people. Fear mongering is what you are doing.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

They sell alarms and surveillance cameras? Really? Their website should probably have those products on there if they are selling them because it's quite difficult to sell products that you don't even advertise that you are selling. There's not one thing on their website about surveillance cameras or alarms.

https://danieldefense.com

Feel free to link me to the pages selling alarms and surveillance cameras if you can find them. I took a quick look and search and don't see them anywhere.

They don't say what the "right tool for the job" is because they're trying to be subtle so they could sneak the ad in through the NFL's regulation by claiming they don't actually explicitly mention a gun just like you said.

They fail because they use a gun in their logo, and as soon as anyone does any search or research on this company, all that comes up are guns. I searched their company on Google Images to see if I could find that logo from the commercial to post in the thread.. I couldn't. The only images that showed up were a bunch of guns. Their meta data on the google search doesn't come up as "an outdoors store" like a Bass Pro Shops or something, it comes up with "Daniel Defense: Offers a range of AR15 parts and accessories like slings and uppers.".

The entire tone of the ad is fear mongering. They take a vet from Iraq/Afghanistan and stereotype that when he "returns home" he needs a gun to protect his family. Why do they use a vet? Praying on vets with PTSD and similar who now because of their experience in a war zone don't feel safe anywhere without a gun? Then they show the textbook pretty wife and the defenseless child and make it seem like the only way to keep them "safe" is to own a gun. Nevermind all the studies and statistics that indicate people who keep a gun in their home are much more likely to be involved in some incident with a gun than people who don't. This stuff is all marketing 101.

The vast majority of citizens in this country feel perfectly safe without needing to carry around a gun with them at all times. We hear about gun crimes way more with twitter and the 24 hour media cycle, and it's no doubt a big problem, but statistically this country is still much safer than it was 50 years ago.

Please elaborate. :confused: This is about as silly as you not even knowing what a straw man was in the other thread last week.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How odd. I did a product search on their web site and only came up with one knife. No alarms. No camera systems. No tazers.

I did notice their phone number though, (866) 554-GUNS

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Thank you for providing ample justification (outside of the obligatory "because I can", and "I'll control what content goes into my children's heads") on why tune in to watch the Puppy Bowl instead.

Bazinga!

BL.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

For instance if you wanted to put your family's lives at objective risk of death a gun would be a good tool to bring into the home.

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

just selling "other things" doesn't really seem to satisfy the NFL rule that makes it clear they're open to;

a gun store that incidentally sells "other things" despite having a primary focus on selling guns isn't a camping store, no matter how hard they pretend :p

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Reminds me of one of those parties one reads about: a bunch of guys, sitting around sipping on their whisky; one of them says, "Hey everybody, let me show you my gun collection!"

From a courtroom perspective, how do you apportion the damage? Does it matter?

21. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

They also offered to change that to an American flag and that wasn't enough.

----------

Ummm....call them? Or go into the store? Not everything a company sells is on the website. Not even Cabela's.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They are a gun shop. I mean come on.

If you want it changed pressure the NFL to allow guns to be advertised.

23. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually this is a brilliant campaign. The ad is being played over and over on the news and being reposted on social media, and we are even talking about it here and now have a link to their site from here. The owner is being interviewed by Fox and CNN and tons of other stations both on TV and the radio, I even heard him on XM this morning.

All for free.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Changing the logo doesn't change the message of the ad or the product they are pitching.

25. dec. Suspended

dec.

Sounds like a very American party to me ;) ...