NH Gay Marriage -- Another Domino Poised To Fall

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Jun 3, 2009.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link

Looks like NH will become #6 later today.

New England has been a real leader on this issue.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Wow. Well done New Hampshire! By this rate the number of gay marriage states will be in double figures by this year's generic Winter Solstice festival that goes by other names :)

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

4. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Are there other states that are close to acting on this as well?

6. Queso macrumors G4

New York has started the process. I think Rhode Island aren't too far away either. At least a majority of the people there support it

7. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

8. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

I meant the governor signed it just recently. :)

When I checked before, he didn't sign it yet.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It looks like 6 in '12 is going to become 6 in '09 at this rate. :)

However (not wanting to be the negative Nancy here or anything) this bill allows religious organizations with a charitable and educational intent to not provide health benefits to same-sex spouses. I agree with the language that permits churches to not perform weddings (as if they didn't have that power already), but allowing employers to not provide benefits they would provide to other couples seems blatantly wrong.

10. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Agreed.

This is the bit that I'm not incredibly happy with. But the rest is great news.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That will have to be worked out later, as I'm sure it will. In the meantime, let's celebrate! :D

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It seems strange to me that Lynch wanted this language in the bill. Surely he knows that any court would look at the legislative intent (equality), the New Hampshire equal protection clause, and the absurdity of such a loophole, and strike it down right?

13. Queso macrumors G4

The '12 bit is to allow for the last New England holdout I'm afraid. Currently the Speaker of the House, the Governor and the Senate President in RI are all ardent Catholics, so there's no legislative support on any angle. However, the Governor (Don Carcieri) can't stand again in 2010 and both front runners to replace him are gay marriage supporters. The latest poll show 60% of Rhode Islanders support marriage equality.

I think we'll see states in other regions get gay marriage before then, but it will happen :)

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm not so sure. Rhode Island Catholics are quite different from your average Catholic. Even if the leaders in the Legislature aren't supporters, overwhelming majorities in both houses are. Even a governor's veto would be rather impotent as the Democrats have supermajorities in both houses. If I was a betting man, I'd say that Rhode Island will follow suit by the end of the year (and it will be done over a veto).

15. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

My guess? It's CYA on his part. He likely has future political aspirations, and would rather have the courts rebuke him than the voters.

16. Queso macrumors G4

I hope you're right. I'd like nothing better than to be wrong on this one, but even if it doesn't happen this year it's not far off.

17. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh I know. Personally I wouldn't count it as a complete victory until two homosexuals can walk in and actually procure a marriage license; although I agree this is a significant step. I wouldn't have posted it if I thought otherwise. :)

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I had that suspicion as well, but it doesn't improve my opinion of him any (not that it should :p). I would have rather had him decline to sign the first bill and let it become law without his signature. Not that any politician would have done that, but I can dream right? :p

Rhode Island has been grappling with this for a long time now. They recognize Massachusetts marriages, and with the population's general support, I don't see any major obstacles left for it this year (or even in 2010 if it comes to it). With all of its neighbors now in the gay marriage camp, I think the Rhode Island General Assembly will finally act, if only to avoid being too horribly shamed. :p

19. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

It's so sad that we even have to celebrate this at all.

It should have never been an issue.

The Constitution guarantees equal rights for all in case the "social conservative" among us forgot...

20. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, considering Lynch was the one who rejected the last version of this bill because it didn't have this language in it, it makes sense that he wouldn't just let this become law without his signature. He had that option last time, and took the rather unusual step of demanding this compromise language.

One wonders at what point national politicians find it safe to call for marriage equality. Probably not until 35 state minimum are down.

21. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I wouldn't go by a state minimum, but rather by electoral distribution. If support for same-sex marriage and gay rights continues on its current trajectory, by 2012 or 2014 a slim majority of Americans will be behind the idea of full marriage equality. It usually takes a strong majority for a politician to take a position on any issue, so my guess is that by 2016 national politicians will feel perfectly safe in being public about their support for equality.

More significantly, however, I think a Republican Primary contender in 2016 will be a vocal supporter of same-sex marriage and this will be the issue's death knell, much as racial discrimination met its end when a Southern Democrat became the Civil Rights movement's best ally.

23. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Perhaps, but that will be the death knell for said primary candidate. If you can't get the right-wing base mobilized, all hope is lost; and that in large part means religious conservative foot soldiers. I don't see their opposition to marriage equality changing even by 2016.

It's a position conservatives *should* endorse, namely the government staying the hell out of your private life, but as we've seen the GOP seems willing to bend that rule to suit them.

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

If that's the case then conservatives ought to be calling for the end of marriage licenses. That would help to get government out of people's private life.