Nick Clegg Apologizes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by roadbloc, Sep 20, 2012.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

2. Fazzy macrumors 6502

What a b******. That was the most insincere apology ever! Its abit late too, like two years late. Maybe it wouldnt be so bad if he didn't have a plaque with a promise to not increase the fees before the election. But that was the only thing he really had going for him. What is one crappy apology going to do? "I'm sorry I lied and tripled your fees, but I won't do sod all about it."

I'm a very bitter student :mad:

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Where and when did Clegg first bring up tuition fees?

4. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Never understood this part of British politics. How can the leader of the most left-leaning party ally himself and his party with the rightwing Tory party in good conscience? It seems bizarre and insincere to core beliefs.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think the way it works is that if the Tory party doesn't have a clear majority they are forced to create a coalition with other parties in order to form a government. If they can't do that then everyone goes back to the polls to vote again. I would think this would lead to a lot of compromise in the government depending on how far away they were from a majority.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Come to America, where they break their promises and don't apologize.

Once again, I envy you.

7. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Yes, exactly, I think I got the coalition part in parliamentary systems. But I don't understand how 2 parties can, in good conscience, form this partnership, yet be at opposite ends in their philosophies. Seems like someone's (i.e., Clegg) compromising their principles.

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I think many in the LibDems were just excited to matter for once, the UK has long had a three party system (Labour, Conservative, Liberal Democrat) where only two parties (Labour and Conservative) ever have power. However, there have been many LibDems unhappy with Nick Clegg's alignment with the Conservatives.

Remember though even our main 'right wing' party isn't that right wing. The Conservatives agree with the LibDems on some surprising issues, like gay marriage. If the US Democrats stood in the UK they would probably line up with the Conservatives quite well, the Republicans would look like Nazis here!

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The way I see it, the Tories have a large plurality but not an outright majority: if the LibDems provide the Tories with the majority they need to take #10 Downing, the Tories will be forced to moderate their agenda in order to avoid alienating the LibDem faction of their coalition. Hence, they must compromise, for if they start to heave too starboard, the LibDems will bail on them, causing the government to fall and forcing a national election. In some ways, it can be better than the US system because the national leadership can abruptly change instead of having to wait for the 4 year interval. Sometimes this even happens when one party has a clear majority (e.g., the fall of Thatcher).

(I still cannot hear "Nick Clegg" without getting that cursed Pink Floyd song stuck in my head)

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I do believe that the UK politicians need to learn how to work in a coalition government.
    The very big difference is that you have to maximise your polices on which you agree, and smooth over the points that cause disagreement. It is an acquired art, here in the Netherlands we have never had a majority government since WWII.
    Coalition governments also make the elections more gentle, you never know who you will end up in government with.
    But I believe the main problem are the words compromise and consensus it seems to me that in the English speaking world these are seen as a sign of weakness. It is that all or nothing approach to politics which makes for first past the post, two party system.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The saddest things about all of this is that Clegg's egomania has led the otherwise rational liberals into an alliance that will kill them off at the polls. Surely since Labour was the second most popular party, it was up to Labour and the Tories to form a coalition. If I had been Clegg I would have played that card until it was clear to the British public just how dogmatic Labour and the Conservatives are. Instead, Clegg jumped for the status of being deputy prime minister, broke election promises, and got screwed when the Tories failed to hold up their end of the bargain. Talk about an own goal....

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And Nick Clegg hasn't been ostracized and run out of British politics because he's an Atheist. I envy them too.

13. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

Before the election. To be honest, its probably the only reason they got votes in the first place. They pissed off a lot of students.

As a non-student, I don't really care what he does. An apology isn't going to fix anything. He is never going to be in power ever again. Unfortunately for him, people do not forget stuff like this. Even as someone who doesn't really care about tuition fees, the fact that he didn't deliver his promises will ensure I never vote for him.

Come 2015, I'd say his career is over.

14. Fazzy macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

You can't hold a sign like this and expect one crappy "sorry" to be enough.

15. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

That's an interesting point, and key difference. Here in the states, no way you could admit to being an atheist and run for president, let alone any office. That's one thing I admire about Clegg (and Britain and Europe).

The Australian PM clearly has stated she doesn't believe in God. So what is it about us in the states? The leftover Puritanism from the founding Pilgrims? And where's the freedom (that we tout we have the most of in the world) here?

16. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Since it's a British topic... it's Apologise ;)

I think they need to dissolve the coalition and go for a general election again, it's ridiculous that the guy is apoligising for all this promises going out the window, yet he's still happy to sit there as Cameron's lap dog whilst the country is going to the dogs......

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Yep. Yep. And he's done a lot of damage both to the country and to his party. This idea that he was moderating the worst aspects of the Tories is just a fig leaf for his selfish pursuit of power.