Nifty new feature that SHOULD HAVE been in iPhone OS a long time ago

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jav6454, Aug 28, 2013.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Priority selection of Wi-Fi networks. Some people have work networks which are layered on top of a customer network. For instance, at my work place their is the work Wi-Fi network called "Empire Bldg 1" which is exclusive for office and work use. Then we have the other network for customers called "Empire Customer" which is fully enabled internet.

Now, I have access to both. problem is, every time I come to work, my phone keeps hooking up to the work wi-fi.

An option that allows you to prioritize which networks the iPhone should connect to first should be included in future iPhone OS updates.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

If you forget the network then connect again it should work fine

4. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Because both networks are password protected... and the passwords are 16 characters long. No joke.

5. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

Ok, but you just need to forget 1 time

6. syd430, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013

syd430 Guest

How often do people have TWO password protected networks at the same place that they switch between? I'd say not often.

Edit: I think some of the people replying to my post don't understand what the OP wants. He is not asking for it to prioritise the wi-fi network he has connected to in the past (iOS already does that), he is asking for the ability to manually prioritise one password protected network over another network, because he happens to regularly switch between both networks. This is a very rare situation indeed (especially for a phone), and knowing Apple, they tend to deliberately keep things out for the sake of simplicity, even for there is a minority that may need it. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, i'm just saying that this is what Apple has been doing for decades, and so i'm not sure why anyone thinks Apple is going to bother with this anytime soon.

7. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Yet why do we have such a feature in Windows and OS X? Surely, there is a reason.

8. syd430 Guest

My point was that you're in a very small minority that needs this on a phone. That's why Apple hasn't prioritized this and thats why I don't see anyone else complaining about it. Phones are usually connected to a 3/4G network anyway, so you can't compare to computers that use wifi as a primary connection and are generally much more customizable than a phone.

9. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

What's the joke? My wifi password is 31 characters long, still I can easily remember it. (no words, not 1234567890, not ABCDEFGH)

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I have the same problem. Sometimes I forget to turn off my PocketWifi at home, only to realize hours later that my iDevices are still connected to it, rather than my (much, much faster) AEBS network. Network priority settings would be a welcome addition to iOS.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Typing any number of characters on a virtual keyboard is tedious. A password that:

1) Isn't visible after you type
    2) Probably requires you to switch back and forth between symbols and regular alphabetic characters repeatedly
    3) Almost certainly contains unusual characters you won't be able to locate rapidly
    4) Can't use autocorrect

Is especially difficult.

The concept of having a priority system for networks isn't really anything to do with passwords - that's just the problem with the suggested workaround.

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Errr... anyone who walks down any street ever?

13. syd430 Guest

I think you need to reread what I said.

14. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

How often do you crash in a car? I'd say not often, but there are still airbags in there.

Not a good analogy but you get the point.

15. heutusops macrumors regular

agreed, i also have this problem and it's really frustrating. i hope apple solves this issue ASAP.

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I think you need to think about it more.

I walk down a street it is not uncommon for me to walk past a dozen wifi hotspots to which I might have a password to or appear open, but which use MAC address filtering or http redirects to a login page and mean that the traffic will just silently fail.

Wifi prioritisation in iOS blows, and always has.

17. nosnhojm macrumors regular

nosnhojm

Not sure how prioritization would solve your problem.

18. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Nice, want a cookie? Seriously, network prioritization will definitely help anyone.

Well, for starters, you can make the iPhone understand better which networks you wish to connect to.

19. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

What I do is in Notes , I have one called , guess what , WiFi ,where I keep the different passwords so when needed I just have to copy & paste .
    It won't help the OP much but it's just a trick I wanted to share :eek:

20. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Being able to prioritise closed networks that I know the password to over open networks that have port 80 redirects to login screens, rather than by connection strength, would solve my problem.

21. peridot macrumors member

That would be a really useful feature to have around!

22. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Better yet don't switch network traffic to a wifi network that uses a captive portal (port 80 redirect) until a bona fide Internet connection exists.

Happens to me all the time when walking down the street, past starbucks, in malls, etc. Have a perfectly good 3G/4G connection when... wham... it is snatched from me to switch to a wifi network that I won't even be near long enough to log into, let alone use. Meanwhile the email I was trying to send failed because I was on a non-working wifi network.

Michael

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

OP has a good point. I've always wondered why this didn't exist in iOS.

24. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

I think you're reaching here.. Why would a smartphone have any less need for this than a laptop? You obviously do not work in a place that has multiple networks.

Considering most people do not have unlimited data usage, connecting to WIFI is a necessity for a lot of iPhone users.

I will say that I have not personally had this issue, but I can fully understand someone's need for it.

25. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Actually many are not in the minority. Many people that have rectangular or big houses need to use extenders and they each have their own sign in password. This happens in my mothers house, I set up an extender so her other half of the apt can get a signal since the apt is rectangular w/ cement walls and the router HAD to be put on one side of the apt. The only bad part is if you are in the 1/3 middle part of the house it can choose to take one over the other, but since the ext can reach all the way to the end of the apt, but no power for the signal, you are left w/ a crappy wifi connection when there is a strong one right next to the iPhone. My mother is not a techie so she can't forget or enter settings again to reconnect to the faster closer one unless she needs to show me something on skype.
    You know I believe apple showed something about preferred networks on iOS6 presentation, but I guess it never really came to fruition and hope iOS7 will fix this.