Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i just got back from novi, MI apple store with a brand new eMac. i got 10% off, but not with edu. discount. you can only get one or the other...

you also get 10% discount if you purchase panther at full retail price, $129. apple store here wasn't selling panther at $69 (edu discounted). instead, i was told to go order online.

dog tags are the only things given away... if you purchase anything small, you get those in a little different bag from usual, paper bag is the usual, i think. cloth-like material, white, laundry bag with silver apple design.

also, new lower priced eMacs and G4 iBooks were there... but on the attachment to the iMac giveaway entry sheet was eMac listed at available "starting at $899" including the 10% discounting, meaning it's the old priced $1,000 eMac... perhaps apple decided to drop the eMac prices the last second...

beware_phog

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2003
So tonight only?!! I mean, heck, my wife just had a baby today....that should be an excuse to get the discount tomrrow as well, right?

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
MY THOUGHTS

Tons of people at Westfarms store. They gave free dog tags at the door. Huge line to buy Panther. Guy did a good job with Panther presentation.

When they guy took questions about Panther, two people caught everyone's attention. One lady made reference to Powerbook G5, but the Apple guy didn't want to go there. Another guy wanted more info about plugging his iSight into his iPod. The Apple guy was intrigued by the idea. The guy who asked the question seemed to know know someone who attempted this.

One of the main reason why I went was because I wanted to try the new iBook G4's. Many people were using them, but I wasn't sure they weren't really G3's even though there were signs on the table that said G4. When I looked under the "about this mac" feature every iBook in the store was a G3 running panther. People in store were surprised. That's my only dissappointment.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by beware_phog
So tonight only?!! I mean, heck, my wife just had a baby today....that should be an excuse to get the discount tomrrow as well, right?

Congratulations, always like to hear when Mac users spawn a new one.

Get your priorities straight, Apple Stores open til midnight and 10% off is as rare as a stable Windows OS. It's not like your wife can't have another baby.

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I live in Venezuela but my parents live in Columbus, Ohio, only about 20 minutes from the Apple Store there.

Maybe I should call them and have them go pick up a new 15" PowerBook for me... that 10% discount is tempting!

PaisanoMan

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2003
If they are indeed giving 10% discounts on hardware, can it be compounded with the educational discounts?

I must know. :)

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
10.3 benchmarks

Computer:

Dual 1 GHz G4 "Quicksilver"
133 MHz bus
1 GB PC100 RAM
120 GB 7200 RPM HD
_______

panther_data.gif

panther_graph.gif

This shows a good performance increase overall and big UI increase which you can see and feel.

jamka

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2002
somebody a few posts up already said you can't do edu and 10% it's one or the other

sykkn

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
I got a Panther mouse pad at my local CompUSA. It's a big black circle with a big silver X :).

sluthy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2002
Bundaberg, Qld. Australia
G3?

Is Panther worth the upgrade on a G3? I know about all the improvements with Quartz Extreme and using altiVec and all that, as well as compatibility with the G5, but none of that applies to my old iMac 500. And it only has one user. Is it still worth the price? Or should I wait until they offer it for free to teachers, like they did for Jaguar (three months after I paid $250 for it:mad: )?

straphound

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
FREE STUFF

When I went to the Microcenter in Westerville, Ohio the Apple rep there was giving away Apple T-Shirts and mouse pads. When I made it down to the Apple store in Columbus, Ohio they were out of the dogtags.

Of note, I bought a 12" PB today @ 4 PM and asked them if they were going to include Panther if I waited until after 8. I was told, "No, use the voucher online". When I went to the Apple store later, they were including the install discs with all PB's! Oh well, I can wait a day or two for Panther...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Re: FREE STUFF

Originally posted by straphound
When I went to the Microcenter in Westerville, Ohio the Apple rep there was giving away Apple T-Shirts and mouse pads.

Lucky...the Microcenter in VA wasn't giving out any Mac stuff. But they were giving a free 64MB flash drive with purchase. And that is much better than a lame dog tag. I'm sooo glad I went to MC instead of sweating at the Apple Store. No line at MC either. Everyone was at the Apple Store I guess. Suckers.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Just came back from my local Apple Store, where I talked a friend into buying a new 12" PB, and my girlfriend into buying the new 12" iBook. The store was packed -- when I left there was still a huge line. Nearly everyone had a copy of Panther in hand.

An interesting note: I asked the sales guy about the processor in the new iBooks, and he indicated that he thought it was actually the G3 with AltiVec, not the old Moto G4s used in the Rev. A PBs. Anyone hear anything about this? The clock speeds do seem a little odd for the old G4 chips. Then again, I never put much stock into what Apple Store sales people say.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
My Pics of the Clarendon Event!

As you'll see, I IMed the presenter from one of the machines during his iChat presentation, unfortunately it didn't have an iSight hooked up, that would have been fun! They also had a rent-a-cop there, I guess to make sure there were no riots incase they ran out of copies of Panther!

All in all, it was pretty fun. They could have organized their checkout line a little better, there were two "lines" (although lines are usually straight) and nobody was really sure if they were for checking out or just people standing there. Also, it seems like the Tysons event last year had more people.

Spades

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Re: MY THOUGHTS

The two easiest ways to identify the iBook G4 is the slot-loading drive and the fact they're clearly labeled as "iBook G4" instead of just "iBook" as on the G3s. I did get a chance to use a 12" iBook G4 and a 14" iBook G3 side by side. The G4 was definitely snappier, even if it was 100 MHz slower. Just look at the genie effect on the two. It always chugged on my iBook G3, but on the iBook G4 it was smooth. I overheard one of the salespeople saying they didn't have the 14" in stock, but the 12" was ready to go. Too bad for anybody that wanted a 14", but at least it let me do a quick comparison.

Originally posted by foofan
One of the main reason why I went was because I wanted to try the new iBook G4's. Many people were using them, but I wasn't sure they weren't really G3's even though there were signs on the table that said G4. When I looked under the "about this mac" feature every iBook in the store was a G3 running panther. People in store were surprised. That's my only dissappointment.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
Originally posted by jxyama
i just got back from novi, MI apple store with a brand new eMac. i got 10% off, but not with edu. discount. you can only get one or the other...

you also get 10% discount if you purchase panther at full retail price, $129. apple store here wasn't selling panther at $69 (edu discounted). instead, i was told to go order online.

dog tags are the only things given away... if you purchase anything small, you get those in a little different bag from usual, paper bag is the usual, i think. cloth-like material, white, laundry bag with silver apple design.

also, new lower priced eMacs and G4 iBooks were there... but on the attachment to the iMac giveaway entry sheet was eMac listed at available "starting at $899" including the 10% discounting, meaning it's the old priced $1,000 eMac... perhaps apple decided to drop the eMac prices the last second...

They gave me BOTH! I got the 10% and the edu discount... 15" powerbook with superdrive for $2036!!! YES!!!! Going to go open i now!

cgmpowers

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2002
Re: Re: MY THOUGHTS

A part of me really wanted to go up to my local Apple Store but between being busy installing OS X 10.3 myself (got it by FedEx this morning) and partly not liking big crowds & also not wanting to spend any more money on cool Mac Toys.....I decided to stay home and reinstall everything on my machines..

However, that being that, I wouldn't have minded a mousepad.. :)

Originally posted by Spades
The two easiest ways to identify the iBook G4 is the slot-loading drive and the fact they're clearly labeled as "iBook G4" instead of just "iBook" as on the G3s. I did get a chance to use a 12" iBook G4 and a 14" iBook G3 side by side. The G4 was definitely snappier, even if it was 100 MHz slower. Just look at the genie effect on the two. It always chugged on my iBook G3, but on the iBook G4 it was smooth. I overheard one of the salespeople saying they didn't have the 14" in stock, but the 12" was ready to go. Too bad for anybody that wanted a 14", but at least it let me do a quick comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.