'Night of Panther' Oct 24th at 8pm

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple reminds us that the "Night of Panther" kicks off at 8:00pm on October 24th.

All 65 Apple retail stores will host “Night of the Panther” kick-off events with free gifts, great savings, theater demos and a chance to win a Mac.
Of interest, at last year's Jaguar (10.2) launch Event, Apple had an unadvertised 10% off promotion at Apple Stores.

rockman2023

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
NYC
My prediction: free black t-shirts with the X logo on the front.
I got a free shirt at the Grand Opening of the Apple Store at Roosevelt Field, Garden City, NY.

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
Last time out

What was it like at the Apple store in NYC when Jag came out? Is it madness and mayhem with a line 2 years long to make a purchase and lining up on the street or was it a bit more laid back than that? I quite like the idea of a t-shirt or something but have no desire to be crushed in a stampede.

Cheers.

pbooktebo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
SF Bay Area
The lines at last year's Jaguar event were indeed long (I think my wait just to purchase Jaguar was 2 1/2 hours). This was due in no small part to the 10% off deal (several people bought 3 or 4 computer systems with printers, etc.), no ability to handle checks at the Genius bar (which was opened as a register), an in general underestimating the willingness of zealous mac fans to travel (1 1/2 hours in my case) to be a part of this event.

I do hope that they anticipate this, because I'll be there again tomorrow. ;)

000111one111000

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2001
DeKalb, IL
I'll be at the Woodfield store. :)

Normally, when meeting people somewhere, I'd say "I'll be the geek wearing the Mac t-shirt."

I suppose that won't work this time. :)

enoch

stoid

macrumors 601
I think that with Mac OS X, it didn't really fully develop until Jaguar. Now Panther is the first update that is adding features that are features and not a part of what you expect in the core of the OS. 10.0, 10.1 were all beta versions in my view, and 10.2 was the first "real" version of OS X. Now the Panther is out I wonder where Apple is going to go with the OS. Panther is a complete STELLAR package. By Thanksgiving 2004 are we all going to be drooling over all the awesome features of 10.4? I know that most OS X users are making the switch to 10.3, but Apple is really going to have to but some seriously awesome stuff in 10.4 in terms of performance if they want anyone to shell out another 130 dollars next year.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Re: 'Night of Panther' Oct 24th at 8pm

Originally posted by Macrumors
Of interest, at last year's Jaguar (10.2) launch Event, Apple had an unadvertised 10% off promotion at Apple Stores.
Does anyone know if this (potential) discount might be honored at CompUSA in areas that don't have a real Apple store? I live in a state that doesn't even have 1 Apple store, so CompUSA is all we've got.

edStar

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I really wish I had the money to part with for Panther. I'd have a very fun-filled weekend :)

I guess I'll have to wait till christmas. I really can't wait to try out all these much lauded new features.

sebaz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
i plan to be showing around 6:30 pm at my apple store here in miami...first apple event i attend to, first mac os i buy for my first mac too...(too many firsts lol)

Chobit

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2003
NY
Westfarms

I'll (probably) be at the Apple Store in Westfarms. I was there for the Jaguar launch, but its a bit of a drive. Does anyone know if you can use a student discount at the Apple Stores? Maybe they'll give out free Panther mousepads. My Jaguar mousepad is getting a bit worn out.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by stoid
Now the Panther is out I wonder where Apple is going to go with the OS. Panther is a complete STELLAR package. By Thanksgiving 2004 are we all going to be drooling over all the awesome features of 10.4? I know that most OS X users are making the switch to 10.3, but Apple is really going to have to but some seriously awesome stuff in 10.4 in terms of performance if they want anyone to shell out another 130 dollars next year.
think piles

;)

cdkf92

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Re: Last time out

Originally posted by Noiseboy
What was it like at the Apple store in NYC when Jag came out? Is it madness and mayhem with a line 2 years long to make a purchase and lining up on the street or was it a bit more laid back than that? I quite like the idea of a t-shirt or something but have no desire to be crushed in a stampede.

Cheers.
I wasn't around for the Jag launch but the 3Gen iPod launch at the NYC store was insane. The line literally wrapped around the entire block, and this was in the rain. If you don't like lines and crowds then I'd wait a day before heading down to the SoHo store. It will be chaos in that store on Friday.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
10% off...

does anyone know if the 10% off promotion last year for jag could also be coupled with edu. discount? i'd go tomorrow to buy an emac if i can get the 10% off on top of the edu. discount... (of course, the 10% off is not a given, but i could go check it out nonetheless...)

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
Re: Re: Last time out

Originally posted by cdkf92
I wasn't around for the Jag launch but the 3Gen iPod launch at the NYC store was insane. The line literally wrapped around the entire block, and this was in the rain. If you don't like lines and crowds then I'd wait a day before heading down to the SoHo store. It will be chaos in that store on Friday.
Hhmmm...thanks for that. Maybe I'll just order it online after all.
My problem is that I'm dying to get Panther up and running but as yet it isn't supported by ProTools and probably won't be for another month yet. Major dillema! Maybe work will have to go on the back burner for a while:)

stoid

macrumors 601
Originally posted by stoid
By Thanksgiving 2004 are we all going to be drooling over all the awesome features of 10.4? I know that most OS X users are making the switch to 10.3, but Apple is really going to have to but some seriously awesome stuff in 10.4 in terms of performance if they want anyone to shell out another 130 dollars next year.
I took a look at Mac OS release dates:

Mac OS 1 - 1984
Mac OS 2 - 1985
Mac OS 3 - 1986
Mac OS 4 - 1987
Mac OS 6 - 1988
Mac OS 7 - 1991
Mac OS 8 (Copland) - 1997
Mac OS 9 (Gershwin) - 1999
Mac OS X (Cheetah) - March 2001
Mac OS X (Puma) - October 2001
Mac OS X (Jaguar) - late 2002
Mac OS X (Panther) - October, 24 2003

bwintx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
October 23 Wall Street Journal:

"If You're Getting Tired Of Fighting Viruses, Consider a New Mac"
By WALTER S. MOSSBERG

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20031023.html
(Subscription not needed to view)

It does mention Panther, too, so this isn't a totally OT post. :)

But this article -- and from this publication, in particular -- is great to show those MBA types who are world-weary of dealing with the Wintel boxes with which they've loaded their companies, and need to hear about something other than alternatives (like Linux) that are beyond their understanding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.