Nightstand Central - Music Alarm Clock w/ Weather + Sleep Timer + Photos + Flashlight

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by csnplt, Jan 8, 2010.

1. csnplt, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

[​IMG]

HOLIDAY SALE - Get Nightstand Central for 50% off for the rest of 2010!

I just wanted to share a really cool app I wrote with you guys, Nightstand Central. It's available for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.

Selected as an Apple Staff Favorite App - May 2010!

With music alarms, a built-in sleep timer, weather info, customizable photo backgrounds, and even an included shake-on / shake-off flashlight, Nightstand Central turns your iPhone or iPod touch into the ultimate alarm clock replacement.

Wake up to your favorite tunes and drift into sleep a little easier with an included sleep timer that lets you play everything from music playlists to relaxing sounds to audio books or podcasts. If you need to get up in the middle of the night, just shake to toggle the included flashlight, and shake again to turn it off. And when you wake up, see the current weather conditions before you even get out of bed.

Nightstand Central is equally at home away from the bedside, as well. Set your iDevice on your desk or coffee table and use it as a beautiful photo frame with heads-up time and weather information. It's the perfect use for an older iPhone or iPod touch that doesn't see as much action as it used to, as well!

Almost everything about Nightstand Central can be tweaked to fit your personality, for example:
    -Pick wallpapers from your Photo Album and Nightstand Central will automatically cycle the background image among these how ever often you'd like. You can mix and match your own photos and any of the gorgeous included wallpapers, as well.
    -Set up different music alarm playlists for different days. You can even make your alarm gently fade in or vibrate - it's all up to you.
    -Configure the clock / weather HUD to make it bigger, smaller, centered, or move it off to one side or the other, whatever suits your fancy

Throw away your boring, standalone alarm clock, and replace it with your iPhone or iPod touch and Nightstand Central.

Complete Features:

★ Clock and Weather ★
    -Automatic Vertical and Horizontal modes
    -Customizable auto-lock time. If your device is running on battery, you can set it to sleep earlier than if it is plugged in, or not.
    -Adjustable brightness: Slide your finger up or down to change.
    -12 or 24 hour time format
    -Show / Hide seconds
    -Current and accurate weather conditions, updated however often you'd like, for almost anywhere in the world.

★ Multiple alarms ★
    -Use your own songs or playlists, one of ten built in alarm sounds, or even podcasts or audio books
    -Support for multiple alarms - set up different times for different days.
    -Adjustable snooze time
    -Repeat alarms on certain days of the week
    -Adjustable alarm volume and silent option
    -Set your iPhone to vibrate during an alarm, either with sound or only vibration
    -Fade in music or sound - wake up more gently
    -Alarm works even if device is sleeping or screen is locked
    -With iOS 4, you'll receive alarm notifications (with sound) even if you forget to start Nightstand Central

★ Unique Sleep Timer ★
    -Fall asleep to your favorite music, relaxing sounds, podcasts and audio books, and Nightstand Central will automatically pause the playback after the time interval that you've set. If you have any alarms set for the next day, sleep soundly as they'll still go off right on schedule.

★ Convenient Flashlight ★
    -Shake your iPhone or iPod touch to toggle an included flashlight. Uses the iPhone 4's LED flash (be aware that extended use of your device's flash may drain its battery) or your device's screen if no flash is available.

★ Wallpaper and display ★
    -Multiple wallpaper support: If you’d like, select more than one photo to use as wallpaper, and let Nightstand Central automatically cycle through them however often you choose.
    -Choose from over 20 gorgeous included wallpapers, or select several of your own to use.
    -Easily customize the position of the clock / weather display

EDIT: November 18th: Nightstand Central's Sleep Timer now works with any app that supports iOS 4 background audio. You can finally fall asleep to Pandora!

Anyways, please give the free version a try. If you like it, I'd really appreciate it if you bought the full version :) Let me know what you guys think!

Download link (for both free and paid versions): http://ax.search.itunes.apple.com/W...ubmit=media&term=nightstand+thomas+huntington

Here are a few screenshots (for more, visit my website: http://thomashuntington.com/iOS/Nightstand_Central.html)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scott99 macrumors 6502a

This really looks nice ! I wish it was the default screen of the iPhone. Good job, buying right now.

3. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

4. kicko macrumors 65816

I bought it, i think its a nice weather plus clock app!

5. Cartoonkid macrumors 6502

Cartoonkid

6. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Great app! Gonna go give it a good review on iTunes.

A tiny suggestion ... it'd be nice if the background images filled the screen in portrait mode. :)

7. csnplt thread starter macrumors 6502

csnplt

Thanks. Actually, if you select a wallpaper that's in portrait orientation, such as a screenshot of an app within your photo library, it will fill the screen in Portrait mode. I see what you mean, though. I'll put in portrait orientation wallpapers as well.

8. kicko macrumors 65816

Probabaly should add auto-lock to off as an option, some people might like that.

My AM/PM seems to be backwards on the 12hour clock.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Maybe as a developer you can answer me this - no alarm clock app I've tried (several, including paid ones) stays awake if you get a push alert, txt message, calendar event, etc. The programs stay active so the alarms will still work, but the ability to see it at a glance is gone - even if the app has turned the auto-lock off. I assume this must be a limitation of the sdk, but it severely limits the utility of the iphone as a replacement for a bedside clock. Is there anything that can be done about it?

10. csnplt thread starter macrumors 6502

csnplt

So what exactly happens? You get an alert and it goes to sleep? Does the screen turn off? I'm not completely sure what you're talking about, but if what I think you mean is correct, this probably is a limit of the SDK. Could you clarify for me? Thanks.

11. kicko macrumors 65816

why not just disable notifications when you go to bed? and put them back on in the morning.

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yes, the screen stays on until you get an alert, at which point it seems to over-ride the screen autolock settings of the alarm clock app, and the phone goes to sleep and shuts off the screen per the default settings. You have to turn the phone back on, unlock the screen and dismiss the alert to get back to the clock application.

Well, I actually do do this with sbsettings - I actually turn off push notifications, manually dim the brightness, and turn off auto-lock. With sbsettings I can do this all from one place, but it's still a pain to do every night. Without sbsettings you'd be going to 3 different places. Even so, you can't disable sms alerts without putting the phone into airplane mode (not an option), and you can't disable calendar alerts at all.

13. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

This is a great app. I love being able to wake up and see the temp. without having to go to the weather app. I have two questions. Would it be possible to add a loud version of reveille in a future update as an alarm? If you hit snooze how long until the alarm goes off again?

14. csnplt thread starter macrumors 6502

csnplt

Glad you like it:) Great idea to add reveille. I didn't even think about it. As for the snooze function, the alarm goes off again after five minutes.

15. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

In the future would it be possible to add an option to choose the amount of time the alarm will go off again after you hit snooze? If this is possible I think it would be a good feature.

16. AppEzzy macrumors regular

Looks like a great app, going to check it out!

17. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Bought it.

Really nice app as it is, but would LOVE to see some of the above suggestions incorporated. Being able to change the SNOOZE timer would be huge IMO, and separate it from the other offerings, I think no other clock alarm app has this feature currently (didn't really search on it though).

Hope it does well for you!

18. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

I really want to try a new alarm app and this one definitely has my interest. But I just need an alarm app that can run in the background like the native clock app can. Someday...:(

19. csnplt thread starter macrumors 6502

csnplt

For now, you'll have to jailbreak to get that functionality. Hopefully, Apple will enable background tasks at some point.

20. csnplt thread starter macrumors 6502

csnplt

I submitted an update that incorporates many of these suggestions (i.e. Multiple alarms, ability to change snooze timer, etc.), and I just received a notification that it is now being reviewed. Look for the update in the next few days, and thanks for your positive feedback!

Also, I'll be getting new promo codes soon, and I'll give away some of them:)

21. csnplt thread starter macrumors 6502

csnplt

Update 1.3 has just been approved, adding support for multiple alarms and options to disable autolock. I feel that Nightstand is really maturing now, and I now have more promo codes to giveaway.

Here's the thread with the promos (only available for registered users) :
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=845723

You can also buy it from here, if for some reason you want to support me :)

22. Cartoonkid macrumors 6502

Cartoonkid

Just downloaded the update. Love the multiple alarms and ability to change snooze time.

Any chance you can add the ability to randomly change the background pic at a set interval (hourly, daily, etc)?

23. kicko macrumors 65816

how come i see the new version in itunes but it doesn't tell me to update? did something change?

24. csnplt thread starter macrumors 6502

csnplt

You probably have it by now, right? From my experience, it takes several hours for updates to fully propagate to all devices.

25. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Hey, picked up your app with one of your promo codes last night. Thanks!

Some of the other clock apps allow you to adjust the 'brightness' (well, more like contrast, due to the sdk) by swiping up or down on the screen instead of having to go into a menu. That's a really slick feature.

I'm surprised by how much I like having the weather feature built in to my bed side clock. Nice job!