Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
I have an apple watch nike S3 cellular, my other half an S2 nike. We set off for a run together this morning, started at the same time. My 1 mile notification buzzed 2 seconds after hers, however her average mile per minute was showing 12 seconds more than mine.

How does that happen since we ran side by side, started the same time on our watches, and the GPS tracked the mile mark on both watches within 2 seconds of each other?!

By the end of the run my watch was showing total time as 20mins 11 seconds, hers 20mins 32 seconds. Just struggling to work out where these extra seconds are coming from- not important in so much as we're just running to get fitter, just baffled as to why they're different.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I’d look at the mile splits in the Nike iPhone app to see where the differences lie. My first guess would be that the watches took different amounts of time to get a gps lock or that one didn’t get a good gps lock at all.

Did either of you guys bring your phones on the run? The phone could give a stronger gps signal than the watch potentially.

The other thing I can think of is that, in my experience, stopping a run on that app can be hard on the Series 2. I’ve had it run after I thought I stopped it. I’d recommend she push the two side buttons to pause the run, then hit the button on the watch face to end it after that

Two final thoughts, you can look at the maps in the app or on Nike’s website and zoom in to see if the routes match or if hers ended Later.

And finally, if it continues to happpen, you might want to try having her use the built in workouts app and see if that changes anythingwith regard to distance/ time, as some of us have had issues with that app on the Series 2 watches specifically.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
This is pretty normal for any device like these. I wore two watches since December, each paired with a different iPhone. The watch on my right hand constantly showed more steps taken by as much as 2,000 steps per day and always credited me with about 200 calories more per day. It also gave me more stand hours simply by sleeping or doing other things when I was clearly never standing.

It never mattered which watch I was wearing. I had two series 3 watches and one series 2 watch paired with my 8+, one series 3 and 2 series 2 paired with my 7+.

Even if I just took the iPhones with me and let them keep track of footsteps, they would vary by huge amounts sometimes such as 1,500 steps or more and sometimes by as little as 150 steps.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Next time you guys run together, take a look at the elapsed time a few times during the run. It would be interesting to see if one AW is recording elapsed time faster than the other AW.

Back when I used to use NRC, I would have issues where the average pace would change after the run uploaded to the Nike server. It would show one thing on my AW right after the run, but then when looking at the run on the website, the laps and pace were always different than shown on the watch.

It was really weird.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Next time you guys run together, take a look at the elapsed time a few times during the run. It would be interesting to see if one AW is recording elapsed time faster than the other AW.

Back when I used to use NRC, I would have issues where the average pace would change after the run uploaded to the Nike server. It would show one thing on my AW right after the run, but then when looking at the run on the website, the laps and pace were always different than shown on the watch.

It was really weird.

Ok will do, we ran again on yesterday and the times were both different, not by as much.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Two final thoughts, you can look at the maps in the app or on Nike’s website and zoom in to see if the routes match or if hers ended Later.
Specifically regarding the maps, I've always had inconsistencies between the map shown on the NRC app on the phone vs. the map on the Nike.com website. The website was always showed the correct spots for the mile markers (based on Google maps and running the same route over and over), whereas the NRC app map was always goofy.

In any case, it doesn't matter anymore as Nike has killed the NRC portion of their website. You can no longer access your data on the website.

Reactions: japanime

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
In any case, it doesn't matter anymore as Nike has killed the NRC portion of their website. You can no longer access your data on the website.
Wow! that sucks. This must have been a pretty recent change. I just used it at the beginning of March to find some running paths when I was out in LA. I loved using the heat maps on the website to find where people ran when I was traveling. I used to find great spots that way. I also liked to see my runs on a map, as it reminded me of some great trips I've had in the past. Sorry to see that go.

Removing that might be the last straw for me. I've been using the Workouts app & manually entering runs into the Nike app to keep everything in one place, but it seems like many of the features I've used/enjoyed over the years have been slowly stripped away.

Thanks for the heads up.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Wow! that sucks. This must have been a pretty recent change. I just used it at the beginning of March to find some running paths when I was out in LA. I loved using the heat maps on the website to find where people ran when I was traveling. I used to find great spots that way. I also liked to see my runs on a map, as it reminded me of some great trips I've had in the past. Sorry to see that go.

Removing that might be the last straw for me. I've been using the Workouts app & manually entering runs into the Nike app to keep everything in one place, but it seems like many of the features I've used/enjoyed over the years have been slowly stripped away.

Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah. they killed it last week (4/30/18).

That's why I want Apple to allow for easy export of the data, or at least have a Workouts tab on iCloud where you can see you data.

If a giant corporation like Nike can't maintain a site for running data, what chance do small developers have. SmashRun is basically 3 people. What happens when they've "had enough". I guess they would have the decency to tell everyone in advance and allow for offloading data to GPX files or something.

Nike is a bunch of dirtbags. Hardly any warnings, or if they did warn, they didn't do it by email. No data export allowed. Only way to access the data is through their buggy NRC app.

goat5570

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Nike killed it around the middle of April, then officially on 4/30/18. I used ismoothrun and exported my runs from there to nike.

Is there another way to export to nike?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Nike killed it around the middle of April, then officially on 4/30/18. I used ismoothrun and exported my runs from there to nike.

Is there another way to export to nike?
The workaround is to use the NRC app to manually input your run stats. Basically limted to time of day, duration, and miles. No map can be transferred.

goat5570

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
The workaround is to use the NRC app to manually input your run stats. Basically limted to time of day, duration, and miles. No map can be transferred.

Thanks for the info. That's a terrible solution, but like most, I have lots of data there and friends that I compete with for mileage.

This is a good example of the importance of using apps that let you "own" the data. One of the main reasons I love ismoothrun. Their app has my data, but I export it to may other apps. That way if one (like Nike) decide to act funny I don't lose everything. Also exports to Dropbox.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Thanks for the info. That's a terrible solution, but like most, I have lots of data there and friends that I compete with for mileage.

This is a good example of the importance of using apps that let you "own" the data. One of the main reasons I love ismoothrun. Their app has my data, but I export it to may other apps. That way if one (like Nike) decide to act funny I don't lose everything. Also exports to Dropbox.
Yep, I was happily using iSR and having it export to Nike, but they killed that off about two months ago. I have no need to continue on with trying to get my data onto Nike, so I'm done done with them.

At this point, I'm just using iSR and SmashRun to visualize the data. I suspect that, in time, SmashRun might go away (small developer) and I'll be left holding the bag again. But I think SmashRun would have the decency to allow for exporting the data, in the event that they do close shop.

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I think the AW Workout app splits are your average pace per mile split, but the actual time from mile to mile. I had noticed that the mile split shown on the face during the run was different from the split shown in the workout log after the run. It’s not a big deal to me but might be to some people.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Unbelievable. I had been a Nike+ user since the launch in 2006. I can't believe how much that company has dumped all over its loyal customers.

Like you, I'm done with them.

Reactions: mk313

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010

Thanks for the heads up.
It is also apparently a good way to find classified military installations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.