Nike makes Colin Kaepernick the face of their 30th anniversary “Just Do It” campaign

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

And the Trump/MAGA cult boycott of Nike starts in 3, 2, 1...

Honestly how stupid of Nike. This is all about courting controversy and creating buzz, but I have a feeling it will backfire. Does Kaepernick even have a big fan base?

[​IMG] Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell)
    9/3/18, 2:28 PM
    BREAKING: Nike had been paying Colin Kaepernick all along, waiting for the right moment. That moment is now, as he becomes the face of the company’s 30th anniversary of the “Just Do It” campaign.

[​IMG]

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Among large parts of the Black community he does, and remember that is a very large component of the Nike's market in the U.S.

More importantly Kaepernick's jersey did sell well. He was leading the 49ers in jersey sales well after he was gone.

Combine that with the brain surgeons who go out buy the jerseys, then burn them in protest, and you know some marketing guy in Nike is saying 'MAKE MORE'! "We make money off those who love the guy and hate the guy! Win! Win!"

Keep in mind, there is a fair amount of people out there that are actually aware of what his protests were really about. That's something many are willing to embrace, as well as what the protests have cost him personally.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...k-face-nike-just-do-30th-anniversary-campaign

Conflating YOUR interpretation of the protest & what the actions of the protest mean to you, doesn't necessarily hold the same meaning or relevance to those who do support the man and/or protests.

3. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I like. It's a powerful image and says a lot in a small space. Reminds me a lot of Apple's "Think Different" campaign.

4. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

Good for Nike. But that's a risky move, no doubt. I haven't bought a Nike product in years or Nike footwear in decades, but I may go out of my way to reward its courage here.

It's disheartening (and frankly, scary) that so many people can get to the point where they venerate symbols to a greater extent, and sometimes at the expense of, that which they supposedly symbolize. The American flag is a powerful symbol and the singing of the national anthem on certain occasions is a powerful ritual; both are worthy of great reverence. But they shouldn't be held sacrosanct at the expense of those things - those values, those principles, those ideals, those aspirations, the rightfulness, the American-ness - which they symbolize, given that their symbolization of those things is the basis for their being held sacrosanct to begin with. It makes no sense to elevate the symbols to a higher status, where they're due more unconditional reverence, than that which they (at least ought to) symbolize.

There isn't much more fundamentally American, and more laudable in the context of veneration of America, than what Mr. Kaepernick did. He demonstrated great respect for what America is and ought to be. In kneeling during the anthem he stood up for America and for what's right, at considerable risk to his own interests. He said, in essence... we can't keep letting our governments behave this way, trampling on our individuals rights and compromising our freedoms, and I'm willing to take personal risk to try to focus attention on their doing so. That's quintessential American patriotism.

To the extent we let the substance they represent decay, the symbols mean nothing. I'll take superficial irreverence (to the extent some regard his and others' actions as such) for the symbols in defense of the substance which ought to be the basis for their value. I'll take that over insistence on reverence for those symbols, regardless of the state of the substance which ought to be the basis for their value, any day. I'll take substantive patriotism - substantive regard for what America is and can be - over symbolic patriotism any day.

5. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Using political controversies to increase profits. Sounds like something Quark would do on DS9.:D:p

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Kaepernick started this 2 years ago. Why is Nike chosing to do this now? Couldn’t do it when a black man was president? #phony

7. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

I still think under the right system, Kaepernick could actually come back as a decent quarterback. Ironically, that might include the 49ers under KYle Shanahan.

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I think it's wonderful. Now is the perfect time for Nike to do this.

9. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

The cynic in me guesses that Kaepernick's contract with Nike may expire this year. Remember they never dropped him throughout all of this, so this makes a great reward in staying with the man for them possibly.

The creative writer in me imagines this is counter programming. Meaning, Adidas has become Nike's chief rival in the sneakerhead* market, a market that is worth close to a billion dollars. A major component of the Adidas' success has been their boost line, associated with Kanye West. Kanye's Yeezy's became the high dollar ticket item in the sneakerhead game for years, easily fetching 1K+ at release times. Yeezy's have fallen off a bit, as well as the market as a whole, with Nike making a bit of a comeback. What's a great way to counter a celebrity who's constantly testing the patience of the public and some of his fans? A guy who does well off, but still begs for money? A guy who like another popular figure never met a history book he liked, and thinks slavery was a choice? A guy many in the Black community believe has chosen to fall into 'the sunken place'...

By picking a figurehead who for some is a symbol of 'woke'. A person who has sacrificed. A person who hasn't crapped on his goodwill amongst the Black community. A guy who has shown will give large portions of money earned back to the community with no splashy public relations show. A guy who is defined by his activism as well as his celebrity.

It's an interesting bit of counter programming figure head wise.

Now bear in mind, I have no basis on this, just a personal theory. Kaepernick isn't going to get a major line of shoes like Ye has, so the comparison doesn't work completely equal. It's just for association purposes. If you're a young black man like Nike claims to be targeting... There's Ye, MAGA fan, Kardashian husband, businessman, rapper, still asking 'the man' for money. There's Colin Kaepernick, possibly black balled athlete. Kept from playing because he dared to ask for the police to ease up on killing other Black men, which infuriated for some reason a vocal number of white people. Including a president who needed to use his name to gin up his base, and we have to be told is supposedly popular with Black people. There's a marketing strategy there if you are playing to the Black community, and the activists ( more likely those who imagine themselves activists, but are willing to spend money looking good & trendy ) among them.

Remember, per Nike's comments, their target audience is young Black males. If you aren't any of those things, brace yourself... Nike may not care about your feelings around this.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sneaker head

Thank you for saying it so elegantly.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Damn..

I gotta admit this is spot on! And congratulations. I believe you just created the 286th Rule of Acquisition! :D

BL.

11. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

12. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

13. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Rules_of_Acquisition

My favorite rules are 47 and 57:D:

47 Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own.

57 Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Good for him I guess. I'll still wear all my Nike gear. Although I'd be more impressed if they used Pat Tillman for the picture.

15. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Marketing. Nothing more. Publicity, good or bad, is publicity.

16. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

17. oldhifi, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018

oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

and there is this:

Former Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad took to Twitter on Monday, to lend support to anthem-protesting former quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

18. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I wonder if Nike made his pig socks?

Colin should have not passed on Denver.

“Colin had his chance to be here,” Elway said. “We offered him a contract (in 2016). He didn’t take it. As I said in my deposition, and I don’t know if I’m legally able to say this, he’s had his chance to be here. He passed it.”

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/08/16/denver-broncos-john-elway-training-camp-2018/

19. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

You do know that the offer was BEFORE he did the protest. So he would have just been kneeling in Denver...

So I have no idea of the relevance. I've seen that brought up like it's something relevant, it isn't.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/8/16/17704518/colin-kaepernick-john-elway-denver-broncos

If you want to push the narrative that Kaepernick should have gone with the Broncos when they wanted & needed him, there's reason to ask why they didn't go after him afterward.

20. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Why would a murder victim be preferable?

21. JayMysterio, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018

JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Pat Tillman is often fetishized by the right.

https://deadspin.com/stop-using-pat-tillman-1818689197

An observation...

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Bookmarking this as well to revisit when Q2 earnings are released.

BL.

23. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

If anyone’s looking to get rid of their Jordan’s, I’m a size 12 :D

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Colin Kaepernick peacefully protested the widespread level of police (ie. state) violence against unarmed black people in this country. He made this protest at great personal cost to himself.

A man like that rates as a true hero and patriot. A guy who uses the office of President as a way of funneling business to his golf courses and hotels is a scoundrel and charlatan. Trump isn't fit to lick Kaepernick's Nike sneakers.

25. samcraig macrumors P6

I think it's funny seeing those outraged cutting off logos of merch they already bought in protest. Nike already has their money. It's like those protesting starbucks who went in, bought a coffee and then took pictures of them dumping it out.

#protestfail.