Nike makes Colin Kaepernick the face of their 30th anniversary “Just Do It” campaign

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

By that point they had 3 QB's including 1st Rd pick Paxton Lynch. Didn't need another.

But yes, he should have taken that job as we now know it would have opened up a starting slot for him by now.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 4, 2018 ---
    As is a woman who gets foreign entities to "donate" to her Foundation while she is SOS.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

When did the Nike protest and Trump's involvement become about Hillary. I missed that part. Ooh right - playing the Hillary card. Got it.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Colin Kaepernick is not the first NFL quarterback to make headlines by kneeling on the sidelines to make a statement not directly related to the game being played.

That would, of course, be Tim Tebow. Who prominently knelt in prayer, a practice that came to be known as "Tebowing". Tebow also fell foul of the NCAA, when it took issue with his habit of painting religious messages into his eye paint.

Of course, Tim Tebow is held up as some sort of a hero by American Conservatives. While Colin Kaepernick is a villain.

American Conservatives, and alleged football fans, got some 'splainin' to do.

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Agree. Hope he also wins the case he is bringing against the owners and the league.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah I've been thru the boycottnike hashtag on twitter and its 4:1 people ripping on people who would boycott nike as opposed to people who are burning their sneakers.

The left is so embarrassed about the failed In-n-outburger boycott backlash that this is an opportunity to turn it around.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Boycotts like in n out and this are both stupid.

I don't think one is trying to turn it around on the other. I think there are people regardless of political, religious, etc affiliations that don't understand an effective protest. It's not even a partisan issue. It's an intelligence issue.

7. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

Besides the politics I just learned of the term "sneakerhead" as a group of consumers as bad or worse than Apple sheep.

Please don't look at my sig.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Deflection noted here. It's rather hard to have a nationwide boycott of a company that is only available in 6 states, and less than 15% of the population even knows about that company.

BL.

9. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Because vrDrew brought the President into it by commenting he was using his office for profit. Just pointing out she did the same.
    That's easy.

Tebow's actions didn't disrespect something Americans died protecting.
    True. Conservatives tend to do things a bit quieter. They will just quit buying Nike gear. I won't burn mine, but I might not buy more for a while. Not that I was in the market for it anyway.

Remember Target, they took a hit for a year or so and then things went back to normal. Same will happen here.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Kaepernick is protesting widespread violence and racism directed towards African-Americans.

Pretending that this is all about disrespecting Old Glory is b/s.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I guess I'll just have to leave this here as well..

[​IMG]

And before anyone questions the authenticity of it, here you go:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jackie-robinson-anthem/

Meanwhile, on your side of this, we have this:

https://www.theroot.com/pennsylvania-gop-official-resigns-after-calling-protest-1828771376

If anything, this is the very reason and justification as to why people are kneeling at NFL games; but I digress - it's all about disrespecting a flag. Oh, and Jackie was wrong, so we'll sit back here and wait for you to tell us that Jackie didn't know his place. :rolleyes:

BL.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Funny. Another bunch of partisan comments. Conservatives don't do things quieter. And your whataboutsim re: Hillary is noted.

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

What case? That hes a pretty bad QB and is mad that no owners want to waste money on him? Not only do you get a crappy QB but you also have to deal with his incessant Bull !@#$ too? Gee - I WONDER why no one is signing him? It couldnt *possibly* be because hes a two-season wonder whose play fell off immensely once the novelty wore off, could it? Nah. Its all just racism or whatever crap he and his laywers are trying to pull.

Stupid lawsuit. Why dont Colin and his lawyers spend theit time and money taking a QB class so he can suck less?

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Could be that. Or could be collusion. Which is illegal, right? Here's another hint - it could be both. It could be no one would sign him. But if his lawyers can prove where was also a deliberate "lock out" then his playing doesn't matter because the owners broke the law.

15. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

I'll respond to that as soon as I finish my Double-Double.

16. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Yes he is. That is very true. But he is using a symbol in a way that many people find offensive.

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Let's be clear about this: Kaepernick wasn't spitting on the Flag. He wasn't burning the Flag. He wasn't turning over police cars, looting liquor stores, or screaming abuse at cops or soldiers. He didn't give the Black Power salute. He didn't give the crowd the finger.

He simply took a knee. A common symbolic act in that team sports and other endeavors tells his team-mates and his audience: "There is something wrong here."

Maybe some people do find that offensive. Maybe they find it offensive to hear someone say that not everything in the United States is just hunky-dory. Maybe some people don't like to be told that a significant fraction of the population see the police not as guardians of safety and law-and-order - but rather as violent oppressors who will find any excuse to rationalize acts of murder.

Maybe thinking about that makes some people uncomfortable. Good. But let us not pretend that a professional athlete taking a knee during the playing of the National Anthem is in any way an act of disrespect to the US military or its veterans.

18. Herdfan macrumors 6502

It could be collusion. But it could also be a couple of other factors.

But on the collusion example. Take a small town with 2 gas stations. Since they are different brands, they get deliveries on different days. Station A got a delivery yesterday and as a result of the wholesale pricing going up 15 cents, they had to raise their price by 15 cents. Station B has almost full tanks because they got a delivery before the wholesale price went up.

So now the owner of Station B sees his competition has raised their price by 15 cents. So he raises his price by 12 cents to make a little extra money. To the gasoline buyer it looks like they raised their prices together. Is this collusion?

Just because a small group of people act in a similar fashion does not mean they all got together and decided to act that way.

I think the reasons he was not signed is 1) owners/GM's/coaches do not want distractions in the locker room. He is a walking distraction. 2) He supposedly wanted starter money, but teams were offering him backup money so HE passed on the opportunity. Whether or not he is still good enough to be a starter, I have no idea. The last time he player was for a horrible team. I do think he is good enough to have a slot on a team somewhere, but again will bring the circus to town so owners pass.

Tebow had the same issue in that he also brought the circus to town so he was crossed off some team's consideration no matter how good he was or wasn't.
    Maybe not to you. But to some it is and you are dismissing their beliefs.

To you there may be more than 2 genders, but to me there is Tab A and Slot B. No amount of press coverage or rationalization is going to change my perception of this.

So I am supposed to accept that there are more than 2 genders, but you are unwilling to acknowledge that other people truly have a different belief in what kneeling for the Anthem means.

I do get why he does it. But I also think he could could have found a more constructive way to get his point across. At this point, the story is about the kneeling, not the reason for it. So in some ways he has failed.

19. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Thinking about this from a business perspective, Nike really backed themselves into a corner. If they had picked a "standard" athlete then we wouldn't even be discussing this. There wouldn't be anything to discuss. But they picked Keapernick knowing it would anger some people but also knowing it would bring them some attention. They must have made some kind of calculation like "if we do this it's going to upset X% of our customers but that is worth the extra attention we will get." They most likely also calculated that Y% of their customers would support the move, Z number of people would buy Nike products to show support, and W number of current customers would stop buying Nike products. If their research showed that it was worth it, or basically that Z>W, then this really shouldn't be a big deal for them in the end. But, if W>Z then they could have a problem. Because if they want to reverse course they better know whether or not Y is greater than W because that will be a controversy for them. I hope I get my letters right because algebra was a long time ago. Basically, this was a risky move but Nike is a huge company and I'm sure they contemplated the ifs.
    Fetishized? How about respected?

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

No, they didn't.

How much do you think the global publicity Nike has gotten today, courtesy of the Kaepernick deal is worth? How much do you think that is worth on a global basis? Good or bad, pretty much everyone who sees or hears about this story will be thinking about Nike.

You're also looking at this as if Nike's only market was in the US. It isn't. Opinions here might be somewhat evenly split over Kaepernick/Trump/The NFL. But I can guarantee you that in Brazil; and Britain; and France; and Mexico - people don't care about the delicate feelings of hypothetical US military veterans. And 90% of people overseas would gladly pay money to stick it to Donald Trump and American racists. 90% are horrified about the violence of America's cops.

Nike made a statement today. One that is going to resonate very positively with a very large fraction of their intended audience.

21. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

As far as the business of it I disagree with your take. Would you mind expanding on the "delicate feelings of hypothetical US military veterans"? What exactly do you mean by that?

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

What he means here, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, but the US military is irrelevant to those representing Nike who are from outside the US; example: Australia (Kygrios), Spain (Nadal), England (Mcllroy), Russia (Sharapova), etc. etc. To them, the US military and those taking a knee here are irrelevant.

BL.

23. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

And the “delicate feelings”...what does that mean?