Nike makes Colin Kaepernick the face of their 30th anniversary “Just Do It” campaign

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Sep 3, 2018.

1. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

I won't be cutting off the swoosh on my Nike clothing or burning my Nike Watch bands anytime soon.

2. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Well, the moron in chief has finally weighed in on the issue. He was masterful, as usual.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...d-featuring-kaepernick-its-a-terrible-message

3. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Nor will I. But probably won't be buying any new anytime soon.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, we are told that Kaepernick's decision to kneel during the National Anthem was disrespectful to the US military veterans who "fought and died for our country."

I'm not sure I totally buy the logic in that. And I have reason to believe that US military veterans have a quite wide variety of opinions on the issue, ranging from indifference, to support for Kaepernick, to outright hostility.

But regardless, I am pretty sure that a kid buying athletic shoes in Sao Paulo or a t-shirt or Manchester, UK isn't going to care in the slightest about the feelings of US military veterans.

5. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Any military vet or other person who is offended by his, or the others, taking a knee are showing their complete and utter ignorance of the matter. Initially he was sitting down during the anthem and people were offended, (for no good reason). He was talked to by a friend and fellow player who is a vet an he convinced him to take a knee. This whole thing goes back to a vet convincing K to do it. Some people need to get it right and remain silent, as they have a right to.

https://www.military.com/undertheradar/2016/09/kaepernick-meets-veteran-nate-boyer-kneels-anthem

6. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

You are leaving out the possibility that Kaepernick would have still took a knee in protest, and being benched from the Broncos instead of the 49ers. Kind of a big point to gloss over.

Kudos for staying consistent and dragging Hil unnecessarily into another conversation.

Have you considered letting the Army Vet who convinced Kaepernick to kneel instead of sitting that he was telling Colin he was disrespecting the flag?

Conservatives do things quieter? How was Colin noisy or disruptive?

I will ask again since I still can't get an answer from anyone. Did you come on the forums or get outraged when Kaepernick was sitting quietly on the bench during the anthem? Or did you get offended when you were told to and that Kaep was taking a knee as he worked out with an Army Veteran? Because the only noise & disruption came from anyone BUT Kaepernick.

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

8. JayMysterio, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018

JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

All the while seemingly clueless he is helping promote Kaepernick & Nike. As if 45 is offended, it makes Nike that more attractive to the 16 - 17 Black male Nike is targeting.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 4, 2018 ---
    Yeah, like that Aretha comment didn't get him some clapback from the Black community. As if Nike only has one base of operations and it's in a building he owns.
    Also remember which I think people who want to ride the outrage train & misrepresent what the protest about don't want to see, how it looks to Black America. Or as a someone on Twitter pointed out...
    Respected by some, festishized by many.

As the article I referenced points out, many on the right intentionally either misrepresent or just flat out ignore Tillman's true intentions or motivations. Instead replacing them with their own, as it makes for a feel good story they imagine they own.

The government wanted to use Tillman for PR purposes which he didn't care for. Even his death as reported was a lie, to keep the feel good moments going.

9. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Yea that kid is Sao Paulo doesn't care. Agreed. I'm still not totally clear, who exactly has "delicate" feelings?

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

All of us here in the USA. Again, your side here is trying to change the narrative for what Kaepernick is doing, and making it about disrespecting the flag, when it has never been about that to begin with. Are your feelings that so fragile and brittle that someone getting down onto one knee offends and upsets them? Or has your side even taken the time to find out what he is doing this for, why, and if there is any truth into his actions?

Again, would you boycott baseball because Jackie Robinson did the same thing? Or did he just not know his place, being a second rate player from the Negro league, not fit to be anywhere near MLB?

And again, you're looking at this from the perspective of someone in the USA. Look at it again with the perspective of someone not living in the USA, nor having a dog in the fight; someone for which this situation is irrelevant to them.

BL.

11. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I no longer have to wonder who the real snowflakes are.

12. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

vrDrew wrote : "...delicate feelings of hypothetical US military veterans." Thanks for chiming in but I'm wondering what he meant with that specific phrase. I couldn't care less if Kaepernick wants to kneel or stand on his head during the national anthem. I think it's disrespectful but that's just me. I agree, his protest was not about the flag. It was probably just the most visible way for him to get his message out. Maybe the cop pig socks weren't enough? But if someone wants to be offended by what they perceive as his disrespect who are you to say they are wrong? He clearly did this to bring attention. Did you really think this would be the first thing in human history that everyone would agree on?

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Just to be clear: "Delicate feelings" was sarcasm.

Anybody who has been through Basic Training of any of the US Armed Forces is, by definition, going to be fully accustomed to hearing abuse and criticism about a million times more personally offensive than watching a highly-paid athlete kneel on a football field.

What I find offensive is a man who spent the Vietnam War era hanging out at Manhattan nightclubs appropriating the service and sacrifice of today's veterans to score cheap political points with his supporters.

Maybe that makes me "delicate." But I'll take the heat none the less.

14. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Thanks for the response. So it was sarcasm and you obviously didn't mean that a veteran who would be offended by someone taking a knee during the national anthem was delicate, right?

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Depends on what you mean by "delicate". IF they are offended by someone taking a knee because they are believing that it is disrespectful, they've dealt with much worse in training. Again, one of the things that those in the military possess, is the ability of critical thinking. They have to think, sometimes split-second, then act or react to a situation. If they make the wrong decision, it can be catastrophic.

That trait of critical thinking seems to have been lost between the first time Kaepernick sat down during the anthem, let alone taking a knee, and now.

BL.

16. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Dude, no one here has to agree with you. You can make every argument out of the book to why Colin and others are kneeling and that is fine. By now, the public witnessed it many times. For someone to say it’s disrespectful to our men and women in uniform are right. For the ones that argue that it’s their right as players to kneel in protest are right as well. Wow what do you know, there are disagreements and different opinions. Shocking. But the difference is, you are proud and I am not and it’s not fixing anything. At this point I rather see the league find a way around this so it can stop taking attention away from the game we love because it’s pissing off fans. What will that be? TBD.

17. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

My problem with Kaepernick (aside from being not that good of a QB outside a system tailored to him that defense coordinators have long since figured out,) is that what exactly did kneeling do for his cause?

I think the "free hugs" guy has done 100x as much as Kaepernick has done for relations between the cops and the AA community.

18. JayMysterio, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018

JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I'm just saying go tell the Army Vet who shared that the kneeling is respectful because it's what he & his fellow soldiers did. You keep going with because you say it's disrespectful it must be. But somehow if someone else says it isn't, well that's to be disregarded.

If you want to find your way around it, stop supporting the ginned up outrage culture war ramped up by your president. Stop with the fake outrage, intentional misrepresentation, and making it about not about the protests, but who views the protests. Try to really look at this and tell me who's keeping the protest issue alive? Those wanting to be outraged or those who use their voice without actually disrupting the game you claim you love.

Tell me how anyone's protest has been physically impacted or stopped you viewing a game?

While you're at, maybe you can answer my question finally...

Were you outraged when Kaepernick was sitting? Or did you become outraged when told to about his kneeling?

Because I maintain, if you weren't outraged when he was sitting, which can be seen as disrespectful. You're the issue with the protests that is affecting the game you say you love.

19. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Outrageous!!!! The bank that holds my mortgage was bailed out with taxpayer money, and then gave CEOs big bonuses. Im going to burn my house down in protest!!!!!

20. pacmacman Suspended

pacmacman

I don't think Kaepernick was advocating for better relations with the police. IT's not for any community to work on their relationship with people who are sworn to protect them.

21. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Nike makes all the nfl and nba jerseys lol.

If this makes you want to boycott Nike and your wear a size 10.5 in Jordan’s or air maxes I’ll take them off of your hands lol.

22. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

It's subjective, others see it as respectful. Veterans have come to the defense of these players too. Protests are a Right, you don't have to like the protest, what it's about or even the timing, that's your right. Given that history of protesting and not only this country's very founding but also practically every major political change, fighting issues like this tend to solidify it even more. The best option is to go back when the players stayed in the locker rooms while the Anthem played.

23. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Why are you so goddamn obsessed with Hillary? You do realise that unfortunately trump is the president right?

24. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

So being anti-racism and standing up for the unjust killings of black men and women in America at the hands of the police means you won’t support Nike?

Did I get that right? Are you saying that you don’t believe in the message this non-violent protest was meant to shine light on?