Nike makes Colin Kaepernick the face of their 30th anniversary “Just Do It” campaign

TonyC28

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I am on an internet forum.

Ya really think I don't know people aren't going to agree with me?

Wow.

You know what does still shock me and it shouldn't?

Why people can't answer simple questions.

Were you outraged at first by Kaepernick's protest? Or when it became the thing to do? I didn't read anyone upset when he sat on the bench. I guess it wasn't a big deal then. It is now?

Have you actually discussed what the protest is about? Not THE protest itself?

Bear in mind again, why is all of this a distraction if Kaepernick did all of this quietly and no one cared then?
Read these words and really absorb them: I AM NOT OUTRAGED BY THIS. I SIMPLY DISAGREE WITH IT.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
While Kaepernick didn't sacrifice everything, he sacrificed a multi-million dollar job, rather than his principles. I've seen people sacrifice their principles for far less.
My thinking of what Nike was going for, is that anyone who tries to become a professional athlete, sacrifices large parts of their life to get their.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Ah, keepin' it consistent with that Chicago trope.

You live there? Is that why all the concern for it? Anyone you know affected?

Speaking of frauds...
Okay then pick any major city in the US and give me the stats of police killing black men and black men killing black men... Does Kap and his fellow Anthem protesters not care about the latter even though is far more common place? Apparently not....

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Okay then pick any major city in the US and give me the stats of police killing black men and black men killing black men... Does Kap not care about the latter even though is far more common place? Apparently not....
You mean how he does work in HIS community still, and in other parts of the world. Including donating monies from what he still does make? You mean like Kaep caring like that?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/2017/12/06/colin-kaepernick-charity-instead-protest/927811001/

Colin Kaepernick is getting awards from Beyonce. He’s getting praised in magazines. He’s supporting social causes.

You know what he’s not doing: Kneeling.

The ostracized quarterback has been backing up his convictions with charitable acts, but that hasn’t gotten nearly as much attention as the protest wave he started last season by taking a knee during the national anthem to protest police brutality in minority communities and systemic racism.

Kaepernick’s donations – to groups that range from H.O.M.E. Inc., which provides beds and furniture to single moms in Atlanta, and Black Veterans for Social Justice, which helps former service members facing eviction stay in their homes – are approaching $1 million, according to his website.

His quiet activism has gotten him recognized with Sports Illustrated’s Muhammad Ali Legacy Award, which Kaepernick accepted from Beyonce, this generation’s prima diva, saying that the champion boxer “mentored me without ever meeting me.”

The Associated Press’ reported bits of remarks that will be broadcast Friday on NBCSN are all we’ve heard from Kaepernick even as the protest he started consumed the NFL and boiled into politics with President Donald Trump criticizing players for taking a knee during the national anthem.

By now we all know that Kaepernick wasn’t looking to be unpatriotic with his demonstrations.

By now we all know that Kaepernick is good enough to get a job in the NFL, regardless of whether he can prove his collusion lawsuit.

And by now we all know that those who disagree aren’t listening.

Rather than working to convince them that his perspective has merit and value, he’s ignored them and set about trying to improve the world through donating to charitable causes.

I want others to do the same, but with one twist: I want athletes and others to be vocal and public in their support for social causes. Far, far more out front than Kaepernick has been.

Like I said back in October: No more kneeling. Time to stand up and get to work.

And let everybody know you’re doing it.

As I mentioned to someone else, when you create a narrative about someone else, it's important to remember, it's YOUR narrative. NOT theirs.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
You mean how he does work in HIS community still, and in other parts of the world. Including donating monies from what he still does make? You mean like Kaep caring like that?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/2017/12/06/colin-kaepernick-charity-instead-protest/927811001/

Colin Kaepernick is getting awards from Beyonce. He’s getting praised in magazines. He’s supporting social causes.

You know what he’s not doing: Kneeling.

The ostracized quarterback has been backing up his convictions with charitable acts, but that hasn’t gotten nearly as much attention as the protest wave he started last season by taking a knee during the national anthem to protest police brutality in minority communities and systemic racism.

Kaepernick’s donations – to groups that range from H.O.M.E. Inc., which provides beds and furniture to single moms in Atlanta, and Black Veterans for Social Justice, which helps former service members facing eviction stay in their homes – are approaching $1 million, according to his website.

His quiet activism has gotten him recognized with Sports Illustrated’s Muhammad Ali Legacy Award, which Kaepernick accepted from Beyonce, this generation’s prima diva, saying that the champion boxer “mentored me without ever meeting me.”

The Associated Press’ reported bits of remarks that will be broadcast Friday on NBCSN are all we’ve heard from Kaepernick even as the protest he started consumed the NFL and boiled into politics with President Donald Trump criticizing players for taking a knee during the national anthem.

By now we all know that Kaepernick wasn’t looking to be unpatriotic with his demonstrations.

By now we all know that Kaepernick is good enough to get a job in the NFL, regardless of whether he can prove his collusion lawsuit.

And by now we all know that those who disagree aren’t listening.

Rather than working to convince them that his perspective has merit and value, he’s ignored them and set about trying to improve the world through donating to charitable causes.

I want others to do the same, but with one twist: I want athletes and others to be vocal and public in their support for social causes. Far, far more out front than Kaepernick has been.

Like I said back in October: No more kneeling. Time to stand up and get to work.

And let everybody know you’re doing it.

As I mentioned to someone else, when you create a narrative about someone else, it's important to remember, it's YOUR narrative. NOT theirs.
That's a lot of words that still did NOT address the question I asked ---> twice.... Nice deflection though.. A+ for effort, that's for sure! The reason you won't answer the question is because you know the answer will not fit your narrative...............

So I'll try again for the third time....:

Pick any major city in the US and give me the stats of police killing black men and black men killing black men... Does Kap and his fellow Anthem protesters not care about the latter even though is far more common place? Apparently not....

Make sure you buy double Nike gear to make up for what I won't be buying...

Reactions: BigMcGuire

pacmacman

Suspended
Jan 6, 2010
Okay then pick any major city in the US and give me the stats of police killing black men and black men killing black men... Does Kap and his fellow Anthem protesters not care about the latter even though is far more common place? Apparently not....
They're both problems. What shouldn't be common place in any degree, however, is the different treatment poc receive from police in their communities vs whites. There is a difference societally that people sworn to protect and serve are seen as a danger to those they're supposed to be protecting and serving.

It's not just about killing either. Everything from traffic stops to apprehension after a crime is different for poc.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
That's a lot of words that still did NOT address the question I asked ---> twice.... Nice deflection though.. A+ for effort, that's for sure! The reason you won't answer the question is because you know the answer will not fit your narrative...............

Make sure you buy double the Nike gear to make up for what I won't be buying...
Because what you are asking is intentionally leading to one of our overdone deflection tropes. Where we will discuss black on black crime, crime stats, somehow justifying all police killings are righteous and so on.

Which as you ironically point, has NOTHING to do with Kaep's own protest. He made a protest about police killing black people in larger numbers. If you want him to expand that protest so you can have something to try and rebut, you go right ahead. You asked though if Kaep really does care. When answered and shown that you didn't want to acknowledge it. When you want to be honest in discussion, you get back to me.

Leave the narrative home, bring your honest discussion.

Besides, were you really buying Nike gear?

And lastly, as it states pretty clearly from the marketing department. The choice of Kaepernick was to appeal young Black men 16 - 17. They buy shoes & other product in greater numbers than older consumers. I.E. You won't be missed.

Last edited:

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Because what you are asking is intentionally leading to one of our overdone deflection tropes. Where we will discuss black on black crime, crime stats, somehow justifying all police killings are righteous and so on.

Which as you ironically point, has NOTHING to do with Kaep's own protest. He made a protest about police killing black people in larger numbers. If you want him to expand that protest so you can have something to try and rebut, you go right ahead. You asked though if Kaep really does care. When answered and shown that you didn't want to acknowledge it. When you want to be honest in discussion, you get back to me.

Leave the narrative home, bring your honest discussion.
So just like Kap some choose ignore the real issues and focus on what can gain them attention? Gotcha!

I might have some respect for what they are doing if they dedicated their off season time to these issues but they don't!

Kap is pure fraud.... Now go out buy up that Nike gear! I am sure they are going to be needing extra sales after this fiasco...

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Pick any major city in the US and give me the stats of police killing black men and black men killing black men... Does Kap and his fellow Anthem protesters not care about the latter even though is far more common place? Apparently not....
Well in all fairness what your asking for is not a complete measure of the problem, you'd have to take into consideration (have you stopped reading?) population ratios, socioeconomic factors in the population, etc. But the less nuance your argument has the better right? As for 'Kap' not caring about black men killing black men you'd have to ask him. But your guess, (if you read Jay's links) would appear to be incorrect. His charitable work is helping people in need.... which would be tackling that socioeconomic side of things.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
So just like Kap some choose ignore the real issues and focus on what can gain them attention? Gotcha!
It's suited you well this whole thread with the sensationalistic picture you tried to use to misrepresent the issue and spark some feelings. I can't stop you, so don't stop. You do you. Stay true. It would be the first honest bit of discussion you have in this thread.

pacmacman

Suspended
Jan 6, 2010

I might have some respect for what they are doing if they dedicated their off season time to these issues but they don't!

Kap is pure fraud.... Now go out buy up that Nike gear! I am sure they are going to be needing extra sales after this fiasco...
Either you agree with what they're kneeling for or you don't.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Either you agree with what they're kneeling for or you don't.
False!

I can agree that there are issues that need to be addressed and that there is a time and a place to address them. As stated, I'd have respect for them IF they cared during the off-season but they don't! I mean ya know, their vacation is more important to them......

They have instant access to radio talk shows, media interviews ect. Respect the flag and the Anthem and have a press conference before the game, after the game, on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, ect.... Dedicate your off-season time to working with the Police and local groups to address the issues.

They don't! It's all about attention and some have bought into it.. If they really cared then how about the black on black crime that's been at epidemic levels for decades? How about spending their off season dedicating their time to the issues? Oh ya, vacation and all...

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
Former Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
We have our equivalent to Ahmadinejad, the religious conservatives in our country. So why highlight the Ahmadinejad support, I guess you would also highlight the Nike support by the social conservatives in the country.

pacmacman

Suspended
Jan 6, 2010
False!

I can agree that there are issues that need to be addressed and that there is a time and a place to address them. As stated,
My argument wasn't based on "time and place". You're addressing two different points and conflating them.

If you just want to disparage those protesting, it's a deflection from why they're protesting. That's why it's binary as to whether you agree with them or not. You apparently don't, but want to make your disagreement about how they're protesting instead of what they're protesting.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I can agree that there are issues that need to be addressed and that there is a time and a place to address them. As stated, I'd have respect for them IF they cared during the off-season but they don't! I mean ya know, their vacation is more important to them.......
How do you know how protesting NFL players spend their off-season?

This has really become a non-issue. Some of the players spent their off-season negotiating a rule change with the NFL. Any player who does not wish to stand during the Anthem can do so, but has to stay in the locker room. If a player does appear on the field and still refuses to kneel, then the team (and presumably the player) will face a penalty. And if any player does do that, I have no problem with the team or league discipline.

Problem solved, so I really have to laugh at people who are busy burning their Nike shoes and socks.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California

This has really become a non-issue. Some of the players spent their off-season negotiating a rule change with the NFL. Any player who does not wish to stand during the Anthem can do so, but has to stay in the locker room. If a player does appear on the field and still refuses to kneel, then the team (and presumably the player) will face a penalty. And if any player does do that, I have no problem with the team or league discipline.

Problem solved, so I really have to laugh at people who are busy burning their Nike shoes and socks.
I can't resist...

It's literally called 'moving the goalposts'.

Because there will always be a new complaint. Show that Kaep does do community work and donate money.
Complain that players are protesting, doing community work, or donating during the off season. As if there is a way to prove that, or it's relevant.

Just need to maintain a reason to complain.

TonyC28

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Yeah, it appears to be that the issues needing addressing are only to be addressed when white people and cops say so. Sorry folks, you don't get to specify when speech is exercised.

And, as an amusing aside....

"Some people are shredding our clothes because we put a black athlete in an advertisement."

Cute. Not accurate in any way, shape or form. But cute.

Reactions: raqball

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
Black on black crime is a separate issue. If someone wants to raise awareness for breast cancer, it doesn’t mean they don’t care about some other form of illness or disease. We should hold the police to higher standards anyways, maybe then we could focus on the crime and criminals without the distractions.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016

I really have to laugh at people who are busy burning their Nike shoes and socks.
Care to share how many of these protesters spent their off season addressing these social issues? I mean you should easily be able to find video interviews and news articles. You know, something showing they spent a considerable amount of their off time dedicated to these injustices... I'll wait, take your time finding them...

I certainly won;t burn any of my Nike gear but I can tell you I won't spend another cent on their product going forward unless the issue an apology....

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Like the snowflakes that called for a boycott of In-N-Out? #resistwemuch

Both sides do it and it is silly.
I already answered this question. Show us were In-n-Out is in every state, then overlay that with every city in every state, and then we'll talk about how not only how fickle this "boycott" was or ever was going to be, but also how irrelevant it is to this discussion.

And, deflection noted.

BL.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Black on black crime is a separate issue. If someone wants to raise awareness for breast cancer, it doesn’t mean they don’t care about some other form of illness or disease. We should hold the police to higher standards anyways, maybe then we could focus on the crime and criminals without the distractions.
Right, and a solid analogy.

Apparently, breast cancer awareness month means that we've stopped caring about skin cancer or prostate cancer and unless we show that we're stopping melanoma, we cannot wear a "save the tatas" shirt.

If conservatives spent their energy analyzing how law enforcement often fails community's of color, along with people with mental illness and the indigent, they might actually help this country solve a problem.

But, instead people rush to symbolic protest rather than considering the real issue. I have the same problem with the protest against In-N-Out. The owners donated to California Republicans? Yeah, and duh, read the bottom of the french fry containers you dummies.

Moreover, the real issue, is that while cashiers and cooks at In-N-Out are well-paid compared to others in that business sector, they're still not making a living wage. Instead of abandoning a weekly ration of Animal Fries, try helping the local Hotel Employees and Restaurant Employees Union or the SEIU.