Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNickk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
So the gym at my university has Nike+ treadmills, so I touched tapped the button on the treadmill to save it to my iPhone and the treadmill said it would be.

I loaded up Nike+ while running and it kept asking me to walk around and activate my sensor, so I couldn't any of my stats or whatever while I was running. No biggy, I can see it on the treadmill.

I finished and my phone said that the workout had been saved. But it's not in my history. I set it up with the website earlier and my run and another have uploaded.

TL;DR My Nike+ workouts from a treadmill are only showing up on the nike+ website not on my iPhone 4.

pintnight

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2008
So the gym at my university has Nike+ treadmills, so I touched tapped the button on the treadmill to save it to my iPhone and the treadmill said it would be.

I loaded up Nike+ while running and it kept asking me to walk around and activate my sensor, so I couldn't any of my stats or whatever while I was running. No biggy, I can see it on the treadmill.

I finished and my phone said that the workout had been saved. But it's not in my history. I set it up with the website earlier and my run and another have uploaded.

TL;DR My Nike+ workouts from a treadmill are only showing up on the nike+ website not on my iPhone 4.

Nike+ uses GPS to track your movements. Since you are on a treadmill, you are stationary but still moving, won't work.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Nike+ uses GPS to track your movements. Since you are on a treadmill, you are stationary but still moving, won't work.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/workout.html

Based on that, you are incorrect. It sounds like the software built into the treadmill should interact with the software on your phone. I didn't even know this was a reality; pretty cool, if it works.

To the OP: did the machine itself have a 30 pin connector? I'd plug it in there and see what happens? Like I said, this is all news to me. The university near me did just get a brand new "state of the art" gym. I bet it has machines like these. I should look into this...

Also, from Apple:

Sync

When your run is finished, your iPod touch or iPhone wirelessly sends your workout data to nikeplus.com from wherever you are on the road. With iPod nano, your data is sent to nikeplus.com when you connect it to your Mac or PC. Go there to see all your completed runs and share motivation with runners across the world. Learn more about sync

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I loaded up Nike+ while running and it kept asking me to walk around and activate my sensor, so I couldn't any of my stats or whatever while I was running. [...]

I'd expect you'd need to ensure the Nike+iPod app on the phone is connected to and seeing the data come from the treadmill. It's supposed to work with a Nike+ sensor and it seems some treadmills have a 30pin connector you're supposed to use. You'll need to figure this part out; but it certainly sounds like there's a step missing in what you did.

What's odd is how the workout is getting to the website. Is the treadmill sending it over the internet, or is it just mimicking a Nike+ sensor to send your speed/distance info the the phone?

I'm kinda guessing here though, I run outdoors rather than on treadmills.

@pintnight: The Nike+ GPS app is a different thing than the built-in Nike+iPod function on ipods and iphones.

iNickk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Wow, thanks for the replies guys.

I don't have a Nike+ sensor, but the treadmill says it's compatible with Nike+ and when I plug it in (all the treadmills have the standard iPod connector) it asks if I want to store my workout data on my iPhone. There's a icon saying that it's detected an iPod or iPhone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't have a Nike+ sensor, but the treadmill says it's compatible with Nike+ and when I plug it in (all the treadmills have the standard iPod connector) it asks if I want to store my workout data on my iPhone. There's a icon saying that it's detected an iPod or iPhone.

I am going to assume you did all this, yes? And it did not work? Have you tried it since or was it just the one time?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Just to be sure, you're using the Nike + iPod app that shows up when you turn it on via Settings->Nike+iPod and not using the downloaded Nike+GPS app, correct?

What happens if you *don't* use the Nike+iPod app? Looking at Nike's site they don't say anything about starting the app, just plugging in and going, almost like the treadmill doesnt need the app running?

Again, I'm fishing in the dark here having never tried to use it.

iNickk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Just to be sure, you're using the Nike + iPod app that shows up when you turn it on via Settings->Nike+iPod and not using the downloaded Nike+GPS app, correct?

What happens if you *don't* use the Nike+iPod app? Looking at Nike's site they don't say anything about starting the app, just plugging in and going, almost like the treadmill doesnt need the app running?

Again, I'm fishing in the dark here having never tried to use it.

Okay thanks. I'll try doing it without opening the app. I was expecting to be able too see the interface of the app.

I do have the GPS app, which I have used in the past, but I'm definitely using just the standard Nike+iPod app to do this.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
For treadmills that don't have Nike+ support, can I use an iPhone 4 with the Nike+ app linked to the sensor in my shoes and rest the phone on the treadmill? I usually run with an iPod nano with the receiver plugged in and the sensor in my shoes, but I believe the iPhone 4 and 4S don't require the receiver. Do I need to be holding the iPhone (or using it in an armband) for it to effectively determine my distance on a treadmill?

Azy

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
I can't even get my results on the nike+ website how did you link your account to your phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.