Nikki Haley's GOP response to the State of the Union speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jan 15, 2016.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I listened to the first part of the Nikki Haley's response. (Who first came up with this "response" idea anyway? I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time ... )

http://www.salon.com/2016/01/13/rig...ponse_grows_to_reveal_ugly_racial_undertones/

The South Carolina governor became a target after using her speech to take on her party's own xenophobic base

Right-wing backlash to Nikki Haley's GOP State of the Union response grows to reveal ugly racial undertone

Ann Coulter's response was offensive by design, of course, but, I guess that is her job. The speech, which seemed very "Republican" to me, has been widely criticized by the Right Wing. The inherent contradictions in the current Republican political alignment is painfully obvious. Nikki Haley is supposed to be the new face of the Republican Party, but, the racist xenophobic populist base is having none of it. Conservatism today, as conceived by William F. Buckley, Jr., from the mid 50's to the late 60's, was supposed to be composed of libertarians, religious conservatives, and what are now called neoconservatives-- foreign policy hawks. But, for a lot of reasons, the racist populism of the day was also incorporated-- by Buckley himself. It has always been a strange brew, as Nikki Haley is learning.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

She certainly did a better job than those from the past several years. I see the Republican Party splitting into 2 after they lose the Presidency in November.

3. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

The reality is if they ever want to stand a realistic chance, they have to have a voice of reason. Anyone who listens to Coulter or Limbaugh will never find a centrist candidate acceptable anyway, the average Fox News viewer is over 68, Conservative and white. Racism and division are a huge part of their culture and they hang on tightly to those values.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Her claim about wages and the economy was interesting. Especially in an economy where it has to be sustained BY consumer spending and by a margin over 75%... Did she even admit that 1% has seen income growth whereas everyone else hasn't (adjusted for inflation)? Or that's what I keep reading from others on social media sites.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This country will be a much better place in 20 years when all the old racist rednecks die off.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There is a plentiful supply of racists, the older ones die off but a new generation will take their place. You would think that a younger generation would learn from the past but I don't think they have the brain reasoning to do that.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The U.S. Constitution states:
    The president could simply submit a written report. No need for all the political hoopla, including the "response."

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The Wiki says it started in 1966.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Response_to_the_State_of_the_Union_address

9. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

To be honest I'd rather deal with the racist rednecks, as you put it, who usually like to be left alone, than deal with your condescending, arrogant and whiny attitude any day of the week.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Forgive him for he is a Patriots Fan, that is how they roll. :D

11. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

she needs to be deported ASAP, how DARE she say things like
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/gov-nikki-haleys-republican-response-to-2016-state-of-the-union/
    got a feeling the GOP issued a fatwa on her head ......
    --- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2016 ---
    source please.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well there are a lot of dieabetus commercials.

13. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

14. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

just saw it.
    from the daily fail?

I think it's funny you guys are all over the map, how the hell can there be 68 Y/O white males who watch Fox when VR claimed Fox news was responsible for the deaths of white males 45-54?
    the daily fail is not a reliable source I have been told ;)

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't all of the cable news networks skew older? How many college kids are sitting down to watch O'Reilly.

16. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Yes, can't we all agree that Nielsen TV is just in the tank for liberals?

17. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

like I said, not sure how they got those numbers when fox murders white males aged 45-54, either the daily fail is wrong or VR is :p.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well if those dudes are getting murdered they are not able to watch Fox News.

19. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

who watches cable? other than dinosaurs? oh,,,,wait ...... :p

20. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Thank you for giving us the straight facts, those pesky Nielsen people have nothing when compared to some guy on the internet who doesn't like math.

21. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

EXACTLY.......WAIT, maybe the wives?

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The wives are watching Anderson Cooper.

23. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

so VR was wrong, got it.
    be honest, who the hell likes math?

[​IMG]

24. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yeah, they love to be "left alone" by voting for and supporting politicians and laws that force their beliefs in sky fairies on everyone.

25. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

why? isn't he gay?

[​IMG]

anyways, good on Nikki.