Nilay Patel of the Verge Twitter temper tantrum after criticism of his watch review

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by macgeek01, Apr 14, 2015.

1. macgeek01, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2015
  2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I had said it but I'll say it again: "Nilay Patel.. 'nough said". (for his childish tantrum)

(Love all of these though lol)

4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

That guy is downright strange. Actually, he's creepy.

5. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Dang, I was kind of giving him the benefit of the doubt since a lot of people seemed to be criticizing him as a sort of knee-jerk reaction to anyone who criticizes Apple, but he does seem like jerk in those tweets. I thought it might even be a parody account or something, but apparently not.

6. dannyyankou, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015

dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

7. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

8. macgeek01, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015

macgeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Especially ironic that he "doesn't want to fit in and be a ****** suit" yet wears one in the video. He acted like it was such a personal attack when he could have seen the humor in it and had a laugh and joked back but instead goes into full on d bag mode. I have to thank him for the entertainment and amusement!

9. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Uh ya think?! There was a few that seemed slightly racist.

10. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Oh my! But I agree someone who would wear that past the 80's should not be giving fashion advice.

11. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

12. ksuyen macrumors 6502a

ksuyen

How could I take seriously a criticism from someone who can't take criticism himself? That whole article from Verge reviewing Apple Watch is a false from beginning. And yet media will quote it endlessly for reference. :rolleyes:

13. macgeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would have expected him to come out and say he over retracted but haven't noticed anything. Poor guys needs to see a therapist and work on his self esteem and anger management. If he doesn't then there should be some more entertainment in the future however. What a hilarious train reck. I don't say these things because any of his criticism of the watch. Just because the way he handled himself when someone brought up a valid criticism of his own criticism. One again super ironic!

14. vinitmenon macrumors regular

vinitmenon

someone should tweet this page to him.. it would be fun :p :D :cool:

15. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Apple watch is a fashion accessory, first and foremost. It's just part of the biz

16. pjh macrumors regular

pjh

The guy seriously needs to get a sense or perspective. He has done himself absolutely no favours, unless he plans to apply for an international teddy throwing contest.

As for the "old white guy" remark. I wonder what his response would have been if a poster had commented that he didn't want to dress like a "approaching middle aged brown guy"? I suspect he and the internet would have gone apoplectic.

17. macgeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not even like we're even dissing or attacking the dude. He straight up did those things to himself foot in mouth.

18. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

This was my thought. If you're gonna pass judgement on a band as "ridiculous" in your review, be prepared to take criticism when you're wearing something rather ridiculous yourself.

"Old man critiquing my spiky bracelet is juuuuuust my favorite" Accept you just criticized something thousands of people are going to be wearing so maybe they will defend their argument by questioning your fashion sense.

Childish. Dude is gonna regret all of that in the heat of the moment

19. macgeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

20. RayDonovan macrumors regular

RayDonovan

This is just too funny. He really did get fired up about it but I'm sure that's what most of us were thinking after that "Feeling ridiculous with the milanese band" comment.

21. urda Suspended

urda

Makes sense, one of his major "criticisms" was that the watch was a constant interruption. Remember the fake "bar" scene?

Right, because when smart phones with push notifications came around humanity suddenly forgot how to ignore a notification to check later.

The Verge is 100% complete trash, and so is this guy. Sad thing his, he's "Twitter Verified". Since when does Twitter let children like him become verified?

22. macgeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I totally cracked up when the review first came out and he said that. From that point forward I found it hard to not be subjective about his review.

23. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

Why is Nilay even responding to this. He does not have to explain his taste. His work speaks for itself.

24. urda Suspended

urda

Just another reason MacRumors.com needs to stop linking Verge articles, videos, and anything on their news posts.