Nintendo’s CEO takes 50-percent pay cut following poor earnings

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gkarris, Jan 30, 2014.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

2. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

The difference between us in the US and the rest of the world, Japan in this particular case, is that there are people out there who put the value of their company and the people who work for them ahead of personal gain. There is no way in hell we would see the CEO of a mega corporation take even a 1¢ pay cut here in the US "cuz wer #1, go 'murica!!!11"

However, as we've been discussing in the Nintendo-related threads, I do have to say that Nintendo does need to rethink their business strategy going forward if they don't want to end up like Sega.

3. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

In the U.S. a CEO would demand a raise and a bonus if the company had poor earnings and was laying off people.

----------

To go the way of Sega they would have to first release a console that is 5 years ahead of anything on the market and then immediately decide to get out of the hardware business. :D :p :D

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Japanese are ass backwards

As CEO, when your company does poor, you double down, fire 100,000 people, praise yourself for cutting costs and increasing profits, and give yourself a massive raise and $45 million bonus.

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'm afraid that Nintendo may become the Blackberry of the console gaming industry as it isn't adapting fast enough to the changing market. Which is a shame because I grew up on Nintendo games and the company has a great line-up of titles.

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i still think nintendo will be popular with kids, i still see plenty of kids with portable games. as for the wii, definitely behind the xbox and playstation but it allows a different type of gaming. only time can tell.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Kids? Hell I'm pushing 40 and I still get giddy over a new Metroid or Zelda game.

And Nintendo's problem is they are getting muscled hard by MSFT and Sony in the console but wars but they refuse to accept this reality.

Nintendo does however have the DS in their back pocket which is the best selling game system of all time. That's a clue where Nintendo should bolster their efforts. The mobile space.

Till then, take all your NES, SNES and N64 classics and put em on android and iOS for $2.00 a pop and rake in an extra $100 million plus a year. I'll admit it, I'd be all over Pokemon for iOS.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Thankfully, the Japanese regard their honor as something higher than what U.S. capitalists regard their golden parachutes.

They at least know that their integrity and character are a lot more important than to give themselves golden parachutes while throwing their employees under the bus. He knows that the performance of the entire company starts and stops with him, so he knows to take the hit and do what is needed to steer the company right before their investors boot him out.

He surely did the right thing here instead of jettisoning employees to make himself look better.

amazing what happens when you let character prevail more than the want/lust for money.

BL.

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

A clear sign of good leadership is one that innovates to success. You're typical Harvard business school MBA CEO imbecile knows nothing of creativity, innovation and attracting customers with compelling products, so the answer is always to fire people to line their own pockets as the ship sinks.

It's all a game the top 1% play, with buddies and business partners on the board of directors all in on the scam

A good example of the type is John Browett. Hired by Apple and fired 6 months later. What was his first move at Apple; he looked to cut costs at stores by firing people and cutting owners to claim he made stores more profitable. Not fresh designs, marketing campaigns, training or new ideas. FIRE PEOPLE!!!

That's your typical CEO these days.

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

hell yeah id get super mario and mario kart and all that.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Totally agreed. That is why corporate America is so loathed: complete lack of leadership, principles, integrity, and character. The CEOs don't realize that they are slaves to their shareholders as much as their employees are slaves to the CEO. Only when they know what true leadership is will they know how to handle themselves and the people around them.

Very few people in corporate America have realized that; the rest never will.

BL.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I think your typical CEO doesn't care about the shareholder because the system is rigged to ensure they obtain obscene amounts of money if the company does well or dies.

If you can get rich while failing, there is little incentive to succeed.

13. pdjudd, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

pdjudd macrumors 601

I don’t think thats the case - this isn’t like the mobile industry where advances come every several months. Consoles start on the market for years.

That wouldn’t work. They would have to sell way more copies to make up the losses. Remember that every game looses 30% of their cost to Apple or whatever mobile platform they sell on. Second, the cost is way less than before. They would have to sell a ton more to make more than what they are making now. Plus they loose control to another vendor. Right now Nintendo makes 100% of the money and they control the platform of distribution.

There is also the factor that they would have to re-design the games for a non-native platform. You can’t just plop down a game that used 6 controller buttons (like the SNES) and expect it to work properly. That means more expense to make up.

Nintendo’s issue is that they need to market their systems better and figure out how to sell to audiences these days. You regularly see ads for rival consoles, but you almost never see them for Nintendo and their ads that you did see for the Wii U were terrible.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In other words, "it's all about me".

Very poor leadership skills, especially when they think only about themselves. Case in point: the CEOs of every bank that created a golden parachute for themselves after getting their bank bailed out by TARP.

A leadership blog I follow had a nice quote about that:

"Leadership without action = management".

When you put yourself first, then just order everyone else around or terminate them to make your company's sheets look good, that isn't leadership, that is very pisspoor management that deserves as much attention as watching paint dry.

BL.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have no problem with CEO's earning huge amounts of money - they're the person ultimately responsible for the financial performance of the company. That's a huge responsibility, and I see no problem with giving that person huge rewards when they succeed.

This guy didn't succeed, and it seems to me he's doing the right thing here; it's ultimately his responsibility to ensure the company's financial success, and he dropped the ball. So he drops his pay. Good on him.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Exactly. I would take this guy as a CEO any time over someone who only rewards himself for success and fires others for his failures.

BL.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Actually, I'd take the CEO who hasn't been presiding over his company's downfall.

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

How many NES, SNES and N64 games is Nintendo selling now?

Exactly what money do you think Nintendo is making off legacy titles currently?

Sega, Namco, Konomi, and Capcom were all smart enough to realize that there is a ripe market for legacy titles in the mobile space.

I have Soul Caliber on my iPhone, which came from the Dreamcast which had 6 buttons...strange but it works...wow...

Another favorite of mine is Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Works great.

Marketing would be a big help certainly, but Nintendo needs to realize there are new revenue streams that did not exist in 1990 when they could just coast on the SNES and Gameboy and aggressively locked down 3rd party developers. They have a massive back-catalog worth billions that is collecting dust that could be used in constructive ways.

19. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I just have to correct this. Sony has the best selling console of all time with the PS2. The DS is the best selling handheld.

With that said, the 3DS isn't selling as well as Nintendo would like, the Wii-U has completely bombed (to the point where 3rd party devs have all but abandoned the Wii-U), but like Apple, Nintendo is sitting on a ****-load of cash.

As a fan, I think they need to take a step back and figure out a better way to compete with MSFT and Sony (personally, I think the first step would to create a store experience tied to a username, I've lost hundreds in purchases because of their current system, and their ****** customer support).