Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection - Airport Recommended

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Good news for Apple loving Nintendo DS owners.

Nintendo's free worldwide online gaming network for the DS will be compatible with Airport Express and Airport Extreme. It's on the 5-stars recommended list.

All the details at http://www.nintendowifi.com

Nintendo Wi-Fi said:
The World Comes Together
Oct. 26, 2005

Gamers from around the world converge on NintendoWiFi.com

The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection launches worldwide in November, and NintendoWiFi.com will serve as the base working to bring gamers together.

Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing: Wild World and Tony Hawk's American Sk8land serve as the launch titles for the new, free service. At NintendoWiFi.com, gamers can chat with fellow followers of the DS and trade Friend Codes.

This site features a hotspot locator to help you find free wireless Internet access near you. Because this is your community, we'll even let you add Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection compatible hotspots in your area. You can help others near you get connected!

Count on NintendoWiFi.com to be your main resource for wireless router ratings. Which ones are the most compatible with the network and what can you do to get the most out of your router? We have the answers right here.

We've also made troubleshooting amazingly easy. If you get an error code in the game, enter it in the Tech Support page to get an instant answer. We want the solution to any problem you may come across to be a quick fix.

Each world region will use their own version of the NintendoWiFi.com Web site, with U.S. and Canadian gamers sharing the same cyberspace. We're here to help you have fun. Making new friends is up to you.

Attachments

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Whilst I'm glad to see Apple on the "approved" list for once, if it's just wireless internet access that is required, why are there so many routers with compatibility issues? :confused:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I already have an account at Nintendo.com. I'm glad it carries over to Nintendo Wi-Fi. I just need a game so I can confirm my ID and start playing online.

I like getting high-resolution wallpaper, buddy icons, or software for registering my games too. :D

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Eidorian said:
I already have an account at Nintendo.com. I'm glad it carries over to Nintendo Wi-Fi. I just need a game so I can confirm my ID and start playing online.

I like getting high-resolution wallpaper, buddy icons, or software for registering my games too. :D
One more week to Mario Kart DS. Keep an eye on my sig next week to get my "Friend Code" so we can all play together. ^_^

Can't wait for the first MacRumors Grand Prix. Gentlemen, start your engines.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
srobert said:
One more week to Mario Kart DS. Keep an eye on my sig next week to get my "Friend Code" so we can all play together. ^_^
Oh, crap it does come out November 14th. I need to preorder it! I thought it'd be later in the month.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Mario Kart was supposed to be hitting Europe first, on the 4th I think it was, but alas it's been delayed so I've got the US version coming. I just hope it works fine in the UK, what with the wifi and all that! I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Nintendo don't bother with region stuff.

I'm really excited about all this :) I've seen too many videos for Mario Kart now (including the 30 minute presentation on IGN). Its going to be too good, on paper its the best game ever; A portable, wireless, truely 3D Mario Kart with online play, balloon multiplayer, blockfort and changable karts. Maybe its just me but thats like everything I ever wanted in a game suddenly came true.

I love it when Nintendo don't do something in a generation, then next time they really go all out.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
munkle said:
Whilst I'm glad to see Apple on the "approved" list for once, if it's just wireless internet access that is required, why are there so many routers with compatibility issues? :confused:
The ones with compatability issues just mean that it's not one-click setup and you'll have to do some configuration, hopefully.

Nintendo had a Mac-specific network tester to ensure that it would work with Macs...no Linux one though, but they're close enough.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
What is the difference between Friend, Rival and Stranger play in Mario Kart DS?

Friends: Friends play is used when you wish to race against those players you have added to you Friends Roster. By selecting the Friend mode when playing online, other "non-friend" players are not able to join that person in online play.

Rivals: Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection is able to keep track of your stats and determine your skill level. By selecting to play against a rival, player's are matched up with others with similar skill levels.

Regional Play: When you select Regional Play, you are matched up against anyone else who is playing within your region (i.e. North America), regardless of skill level or "friend" status.

Worldwide: When selecting Worldwide, you are matched up against anyone else who is online, regardless of skill level or "friend" status.

WOW.

Them rumors were spot on.

My only complaint is that it saves your friends list on the game cartridge (while I know from the DSLinux boards where they dumped the firmware after someone used Mario Kart, that WiFi settings are saved in an unused section of the firmware, and some things are stored online, such as stats and high scores, so it didn't have to be on the cartridge). It'd be nice to be able to see the same list on each game without having to re-add everyone for each online game.

EDIT:
http://nintendowifi.com/gaminghub/Gamehub.jsp

How the heck can that guy be on the high scores list on an UNRELEASED GAME???

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Changed my sig for the occasion.

If anybody want to join in the fun, feel free to do the same. Here is the code:

PHP:
[url=http://www.nintendowifi.com][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Darkturquoise"]nintendo [/COLOR][COLOR="Lightblue"]Wi-Fi [/COLOR][COLOR="Darkturquoise"]connection[/color][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[SIZE="1"]DS User name: [COLOR="Steelblue"]Aazlain[/color]
DS Friend Code: [COLOR="Steelblue"]Coming Soon[/color]
Let's Play: [COLOR="Steelblue"]Mario Kart DS, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Animal Crossing[/COLOR][/SIZE]
GFLPraxis said:
WOW.
How the heck can that guy be on the high scores list on an UNRELEASED GAME???
Lucky playtester? Or maybe Nintendo sent copies to some high profile reviewers?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's a little sad to see no mention of my BT Voyager 2100. No doubt it will support the Nintendo Wifi Service but i'd like a mention.

also just wondering about range.

the DS runs through 1 or 2 rooms before the signal dies, the router runs almost through the entire house. Because of that I'm guessing on the DS i could receive signals but not send? correct? would that mean I'll have to play nearer my wireless router? My sister will be fine. her room is right about the router!

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
The nintendo is only compatible with WEP!!
The only security setting that is compatible with the Nintendo DS is WEP (Wireless Encryption Privacy). If your router has WPA or any other setting selected, you will need to change it to WEP, or remove security, to play your Nintendo DS online using this router. You will only need to enter a WEP Key if you have WEP security on your access point.
Also how is it determined if a router works with the ds or not, does it have to be G or somthing?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Laser47 said:

Also how is it determined if a router works with the ds or not, does it have to be G or somthing?
Nope, a lot of those are G and some are B, and Nintendo's adapter is B.

They just tested a bunch and reported which worked.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
srobert said:
Lucky playtester? Or maybe Nintendo sent copies to some high profile reviewers?

Well, the strange part is that the playtesters (as late as Saturday) reported that the game was completed but the online network was not up.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Laser47 said:
Ouch… didn't see that. I think I'll buy the USB dongle just to keep my WAP up. Problem solved. ($40.00 USD) :-/ Unless the dongle is not Mac compatible?

Edit: Crap in the hat! So that means back to WEP for me? :(

Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector

The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector can be used to connect online with the Nintendo DS if you do not have a wireless network in your home, or are unable to connect to the Nintendo DS with your current wireless network. Multiple Nintendo DS systems can be registered to the USB Connector and up to 5 can enjoy online game play at the same time.

The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector is for use with the Nintendo DS only. It will not work with other wireless devices. In order to use the USB connector, you will need:

• PC (The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector is not Macintosh compatible)
• Windows XP
• A high-speed internet connection (such as DSL or cable)
• A Wi-Fi compatible Nintendo DS game

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
Can't wait to play Mario Kart with family and friends flung over the 8 different states. Also, finally a game my girlfriend will actually play (besides Kirby and Lumines) that she and I can enjoy together from our respective apartments on a snowy night.

I'll probably pass on Metroid though...demo was crummy.

yea for airport! Because of it I have the fewest problems of anyone on xlink kai playing PSP games, and now (hopefully) that will carry over to the DS. [ Takes the "plug" out of "plug and play".]

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeah, the new Metroid Prime: Hunters video rocks. I'm a big Metroid fan anyways. I'll probably just share my ethernet connection using my iMac's built-in Airport Extreme. I can kill it's sharing rather than killing a router or switching it back to WPA.

kaylee

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2004
Australia
Eidorian said:

For registering my copy of Nintendogs, Nintendo Australia sent out a limited edition Nintendogs plush (about 4" or 10cm high) for free.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
srobert said:
I have to admit, I was disapointed by the original metroid DS demo but they seem to have make quite a few improvements since then. (Graphics, gameplay, modes, controls, etc…) Soundtrack is amazing. Single player mode is a big plus for me.

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/682/682835/vids_1.html

http://www.metroidhunters.com
oh god yes. a handheld online FPS. with a single player (i gathered that just from the video alone; why would they have the scan visor in single player mode?

I'm looking forward to all the online games. Mario Kart because its Mario Kart. Tony Hawk will be great online, i loved the GBA TH games and though they are totally different from the true 3D games I cant help but get a little excited about a company who can make a faux-3D game good doing a full 3D game. Animal Crossing will be fantastic, I didn't get this for the cube because its coming out on the DS. Finally Metroid. I love Metroid and now they've made it into an FPS action game (hopefully a one-off still) its all the better. cant wait to see what else comes online!

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
Jomoma said:
I'm so excited! Can't wait to play you guys next Tuesday!
I'll probably be there! I hope quality control has already worked out most of the lag problems. With only 4 players max, there's zero excuse for the kind of lag that has plagued a few of the PSP online games, Fifa 2005 and MVP Baseball in particular.

Does anyone know whether any of these games will be playable through non-nintendo networks, through use of tunnel software that fools the DS into "thinking" that 2 strangers playing over the net are in the same wifi radius? That way if the Nintendo servers get overloaded or communication is lacking, we'll have a semi-DIY solution to play Metroid, in addition to non-internet DS games (using xlink or a similar free service). That's how I play Wipeout against people across the country and get more entertainment value per dollar spent on the game than Sony's financial analysts would like.

Now if only there was online Meteos...

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Jomoma said:
I'm so excited! Can't wait to play you guys next Tuesday!
Wait, next Tuesday? I thought Animal Crossing (Dec 5th) was suppose to be the when the network was set up . . .

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Eidorian said:
Oh, crap it does come out November 14th. I need to preorder it! I thought it'd be later in the month.
I'm actually waiting for the DS/Mario Kart bundle that will come out near the end of the month. I'm not particularly happy about the color of the DS unit included (red), but I'll save a few $$$, plus I'll get two of Animal Crossing, Mario & Luigi: PiT, Advance Wars:DS, Meteos or Castlevania.:D

And definitely the New Super Mario Bros. game once it comes out.

I'll post my Friend Code here once I have the DS :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
jalagl said:
I'm actually waiting for the DS/Mario Kart bundle that will come out near the end of the month. I'm not particularly happy about the color of the DS unit included (red), but I'll save a few $$$, plus I'll get two of Animal Crossing, Mario & Luigi: PiT, Advance Wars:DS, Meteos or Castlevania.:D

And definitely the New Super Mario Bros. game once it comes out.

I'll post my Friend Code here once I have the DS :)
I've had a DS since launch. That red DS w/Mario Kart bundle is awesome though. My girlfriend loved Nintendogs so much she got her own DS too. :D