Nintendo Wii overtakes Xbox 360 to claim the top spot

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by BoyBach, Sep 14, 2007.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Gizmodo UK Link

Those be some impressive numbers.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh pish, everyone knows Nintendo is screaming ahead by restricting sales.

3. Agilus macrumors regular

That's cool! Maybe this will mean more great games from third party devs?

What would be really great would be a multiplayer Wii FPS using the Metroid Prime 3 controls. It doesn't even need online, although that would be an added bonus.

Heck, if a developer could improve on the MP3 controls, that'd be even better! Although they are great, I still miss being able to turn 180 degrees almost instantaneously with the mouse. :)

4. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I've heard Matt Casamassina say that the upcoming Medal of Honor game for Wii may just surpass MP3 controls, AND have 32 player on-line.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I think its because the Xbox and Playstation are just enhanced versions of the same old thing. The Wii is very innovative and fun, if not graphically as exciting.

6. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

After all this time, I still have never seen a Wii in a store near me. Not that I've been trying to find one... but I do check every time I go into a store like Target just to see if they have any.

7. Agilus macrumors regular

Ooh, cool. Never really been into the WW2 shooters, but this could be where I make the leap. :)

8. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I'm starting to see them more around here. Just last week there were eight at a local Wal*Mart, and about a month ago there were five at a video rental store.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's because they're being sold very fast. It's how they can overtake the 360 after not even being out a year.

10. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I wonder if/when the Wii sales will overtake DS sales.
    (47.27 million sales worldwide for the DS according to Wikipedia)

Any guesses?

Hmm., what is that...9 million in 10 months. x 5 consecutive sales tallies like that put it around 45 million at 50 months...a little over 4 years.

I think it could overtake the DS sooner than that though (numerically speaking).

Is anyone really surprised though about this?
    The system is the cheapest option out there for next gen gaming. I wonder how things would be if the price was similar for all 3 systems...somehow I don't think the Wii would be on top if that were the case. :eek:

11. Agilus macrumors regular

Perhaps not.

Similarly:

- If the Wii was just a Gamecube with better graphics, it would not be on top.

- If the Wii was so limited in supply that only half the current owners could have bought it, it would not be on top.

- If the Wii had only one game available for it, Wii Sports, it would not be on top.

- If the Wii killed you after you bought it, it would not be on top.

- If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

I think the package makes the deal in most cases.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm pretty darn excited for that!

If its as good...I'm sold!

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

They aren't....for good reasons.

14. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

15. MK2007 macrumors regular

Actually, the PS3 and the 360 have new architecture.

The Wii is just an updated GameCube. It should have been called GC 1.5. It's cheap junk for the masses.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

We're not talking about physically, flamebaiter. From a user interface perspective and the type of gameplay, Wii is different, and PS3 and 360 feel like gaming systems of old.

Joe Schmoe doesn't care in the slightest about the architecture running beneath the hood, just what he sees on the screen and how he plays the game.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Pot Kettle Black Scenario

Mario Strikers Charged - sequel to an alomst identical looking game only with 'enhanced' control

Battalion Wars 2 - sequel to an alomst identical looking game only with 'enhanced' control

Metroid Prime : Corruption - Sequel to an almost identical looking pair of GC games only with 'enhanced' control

need I go on ;)

The wii itself is innovative, but it's games so far have been just exactly as you slag the ps3 and 360 for.... enhanced versions of the same old thing.

18. Agilus macrumors regular

Yeah, this debate can go on forever, with no winner. Franchises persist on all platforms because people enjoy them, and they sell well.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

True, but it's not just sequels so far with the wii. We have loads of cruddy PS2 ports with badly implemented control schemes too. Even 'new ip' games like Red Steel, are just average same old 'last gen' games with badly implemented control mechanic.

The wii is a great console, but I'm still waiting for that truly innovative game. Let's just hope Mario Galaxy is that game. :)

Just think the argument that 'enhanced control' is suddenly more innovative than 'enhanced graphics and audio' is utterly false.

20. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Personally I think the "enhanced control" is more innovative simply because it changes my personal experience and interaction with the game.

I never had the desire to own a Madden game in the past, but I had so much fun when I rented Madden '08 on the Wii that I went out and bought it, and I have been having a blast playing it!

:D

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But surely more 'realistic' graphics / physics / ai / online world, and multi channel audio also enhance the immersion and interaction of a game too.

BioShocks atmosphere would seriously have been stripped down at a low resolution, lower textures and only basic stereo sound.

The real truth of the matter is, in an IDEAL WORLD we would have the 360.PS3's graphical and audio finesse, with the wii's control scheme (albeit hopefully better implemented than alot of the poor tacked on games so far).

Then we truly would have a new generation of console. ;)

Oh well there's always hope for the 'next' next gen :)

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyone who honestly thinks that 360,PS3 or Wii doesn't bring something new to the table is not looking very hard.

Every system is worth owning IMO...they each have good games out now...plus great ones coming out later.

23. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Absolutely...well put.
    I'm still not really sold on the Wii, but then I think about Mario Galaxies and Mario Kart coming out and then I'm optimistically happy again. :)
    (even though technically MK is nothing new obviously but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's still the best combat based racing series out there ;))

Plenty of 'head bussin'' will be dealt when MK comes out y'all...those will be some exciting times on MR. :D

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I cannot see the point in both the 360 and PS3 in this market. In a perfect little world we would have the Wii and a 360 with motion sensitive controller, a BluRay addon (or internal, take your pic) with the initial cost a little higher to bring us free online.

The most immersive game I've played for a long time is Mario Strikers (even more so than Prime). I've got for hours forgetting all about time and surroundings. Them kind of games where you find yourself sticking your tongue out in concentration ;)

No amount of HD, sound, online, AI will change an addictive and immersive game. Quake and Doom 1 (cyberdemon) can still scare the bejesus out of me where games like Resident Evil (GC) and other 'horror games' with all their focus groups and designing fail.

Them above factors might work if the gameplay itself isn't immersive.

If anything I find (a course mate wrote a little thesis on this back in uni) the more detailed and 'realistic' things get the less scary it becomes. It's almost as if they're brandishing a giant ¨LOOK HERE!¨ sign pointing to where you should get scared.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So if I 'realistically' chased after him wearing nothing but a hockey mask and brandashing a chainsaw, that would be less scary ;)