NJ Governor Christie Lays The Smackdown On A Teacher

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Sep 9, 2010.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

3. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

A teacher questions why the budget for education was cut, and he tells her about a cut in funding from the Feds, lack of cooperation from the teacher unions, etc. Very frank and straightforward by the Governor.

4. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

BULL *****!!!!!!!! Fat Christie lied to his constituency and clusterfluck Jersey screwed up and lost billions in education funding because of buearocratic mistakes.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There was no cut, NJ ****ed up the paperwork and lost the
    "Race to the top" funding by 3 points. Christie then went and blamed Obama for somehow screwing up THEIR paperwork.

In summation, Christie can't admit that his administration made a mistake and is blaming everyone else instead. What. A. Dick.

6. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

[ultra sarcasm]

Lord knows those greedy, lazy teachers deserve a good smack down! :rolleyes:

Bastards!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[/ultra sarcasm]

8. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I'm still unclear on what transpired, in terms of a calm, non-hyperbolic, language-fueled diatribe, but this sure is exciting.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well you know, I'm sure the link in post 6 would help out....

10. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

As a teacher myself, I don't think asking the teachers of NJ to take a 1 year pay freeze and to contribute 1.5% of their salary to health care premiums is so egregious in this economy. With unemployment over 9%, the NJ teachers have good jobs and should have worked to help meet the budget shortfall.

Yeah, the Governor's office screwed up the application which according to einmusiker's link cost the state $400 million. What about the other $600 million shortfall.

And then there is the union rep who sent out an email, jokingly praying for the Governor's death. Stupid and in very bad taste.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-04-09/..._1_teachers-union-memo-union-leaders?_s=PM:US

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Or maybe, we could just start paying our teachers what they're worth.

I know- silly of me to say.

12. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Look, no arguments from me about how poorly teachers are paid. But again, what NJ was asking for wasn't so unreasonable to me, given the bad economy.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

As for the pay freeze, I agree, given that the entire Board of Education (including principles, administrators, etc) take the pay freeze as well.

Has Christie taken one yet? What about NJ's other representatives? If they're asking others to give up a portion of their pay, they better be willing too as well.

14. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That sounds reasonable to me.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm trying to find if such a thing has been proposed, have you run across anything?

The only reason I bring this up is because at my high-school we got to interview our superintendent who proposed the same thing at our school. The teachers agreed, given that everyone took the freeze and no teachers had to be cut that year.

16. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, I haven't seen anything proposed. I have come across some links saying that the rank and file teachers didn't even get a chance to vote on the pay freeze and that union leadership just out right refused to take the pay freeze.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/04/shooting_down_school_budgets_nj.html

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sounds like that Union needs to get back to basics....

18. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I'm all for paying teachers what they are worth as long as their quality reflects so. Look at states like south carolina where they are at the bottom overall for education.

Granted teachers don't get paid what they are worth but there are some who don't do their job correctly.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What sector of the workforce could that statement NOT be applied to?

Do you ask the same thing from your garbage men?

What about their quality?

Why hold teachers to a standard you don't demand from others?

20. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I've never had a problem with my garbage men they are contracted by a private company and they don't usually leave trash around and complain they are underpaid.

I do demand this from others. When politicians are not doing their job they are paid to do then i don't vote for them. And i'm not saying all teachers don't do their job they are alot of them that don't.

21. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

apparently your grammar teacher didn't do their job :p (joking)

22. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

:D

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Thank god I'm not a teacher.

I'd hate to have to work so hard for the disrespect and scorn that gets constantly heaped upon them.

This country's priorities are so screwed.

24. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Well come on, that's not entirely fair. What parent wants to have to face the fact that little Johnny is just plain vanilla below average? Clearly it's the teacher's fault for not doing his job sufficiently.

25. samiwas macrumors 65816

Oh you joke, but I watched an argument between two people where a mom was pissed off because her son was getting into trouble, and she was angry with the school, as it's their responsibility to teach him how to act. The other person explained that she should be teaching her son how to act in life. She vehemently denied this and continued to say that her son's upbringing was the school's responsibility, and she has called the school several times about it. Those people do exist.