NJ voters set to amend constitution to raise minimum wage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Oct 31, 2013.

1. likemyorbs, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

On November 5th, we will be voting to amend our state constitution to raise the minimum wage a dollar to $8.25 immediately and adjust the minimum wage on a yearly basis based on the Consumer Price Index. The most recent poll shows 77% of voters approve of this amendment. Christie of course opposes it, but he left the Democrats no other choice but to put it on the ballot when he vetoed a bill they passed to raise the minimum wage. Can't wait to vote "Yes" on #2!!

You guys think this is a good idea?

Link

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

While I am all for raising minimum wage and tying it to inflation, etc, I'm not sure I like the fact they are doing it via the state's constitution.

Seems like a political move akin having an amendment defining marriage as a man and a woman, prohibition, etc.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Colorado had a proposed amendment to raise taxes for education to our state constitution. I voted against it for the reason you stated. Tying things like this to the state constitution makes it very difficult to change if circumstances change.

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

In 2006, Ohio voters amended the State Constitution to enact a higher minimum wage that would be annually adjusted to match increases in the cost of living.

§ 2.34a Minimum Wage

5. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I stand corrected, good for them

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Looks like there's at least one more state that has taken this route: Colorado Amendment 42.

7. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I support it. I think it's a serious quality of life issue.

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'll vote for it. But open mind: PRSI has a few days to convince me otherwise....

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's a zero sum game - while a bill like this is good for workers who have the jobs, it's bad for workers who don't.

Increasing costs for employers is going to have the effect of limiting or reducing the number of people they can hire. So while fewer workers will conceivably be employed, they will be making more money. So I can see both sides of the argument.

10. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Even at $8.25 it's too low. Tying it to inflation after that will just ensure that it is always too low.

P-Worm

11. malman89 macrumors 68000

Pretty surprised the minimum wage is $7.25 in NJ to begin with, let alone $8.25 as the proposed new wage. COLA has to be at least as high or higher than here in Michigan, whose minimum wage is currently $7.40/hour.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

At least it will go up every year ;).

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Let the dems raise it to 20 dollars an hour like they want so they can learn a bit about economies.

14. zin macrumors 6502

The minimum wage would be around $20 if it had kept up with both inflation and productivity output per worker (for the past 40 years or so).

Of course, because this problem wasn't resolved many years ago, a sudden increase to recover the declining compensation towards the employee is not economically viable.

I would like to point out that I have not read of any Democrat pushing to increase the minimum wage to $20 an hour, however, so maybe you are using a strawman.

15. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Considering the place he is living in has a 10.25 cn $ (9.82 US) minimum wage I'm sure we will see him running from that economic wasteland shortly :p

16. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Terrible idea. Something like this should be a law so it is easily adjustable.

The gap between an amendment (60%) and overriding a veto (66.6%) is fairly small. Someone opposed to it should have made sure it become law instead of letting it become constitutional.

17. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

It is adjustable. They can still pass laws to raise the minimum wage, the amendment just states the minimum it must be and that it must be adjusted yearly.

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If wages had kept up with worker productivity, there would be no real productivity. Personal computers would still cost many thousands of dollars. Microwave ovens would hit you for about $500 or so. The reasons those and so many other products have become cheaper and more readily produced over the years is because of increased production - and if we simply raised wages to match that productivity over time, there would be no real cost reduction of those items.

19. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Raising the minimum wage has a negligible effect on hiring. If you need 50 workers to do something, you're going to need 50 workers. If a lower wage made people hire more, we would have lower unemployment in states that keep to the Federal Minimum Wage.

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Since you think a non-livable minimum wage is a good thing maybe its you that needs to learn about economies.

When you make more money on welfare than at a minimum wage job there is a problem.

21. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

When that minimum wage gets to be high enough, you'll find yourself giving your fast food order to an iPad instead of a human. A little higher, and all the cashier stations everywhere will become self serv.

What then?

22. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Self serve kiosks have been around for years but this form of automation doesn't necessarily mean that fewer employees will be needed.

According to Michael Verdeska, interim-CIO and division vice president of Jack in the Box restaurants:

23. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I have to say thank you for helping me out on this one.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That hasn't happened even in places with much higher minimum wages than the US...

25. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

The "doyouwantfrieswiththat"-iPad-app is gonna happen (or not) regardless of a hike in minimum wage. Just the date might be pushed a bit more into the future.