Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arline

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
Apple buys 15~20% of the world's RAM modules, most of them go into iPhones (and iPads). Doubling the memory means a lot of pressure on the supply chain, I guess that's why they've always been conservative on that. That's also the reason they were so late in doubling the storage options, even not fully.

Maybe iPad Air 2 is the time Apple pushes the RAM forward to 2GB, before the next "s" iPhones follow next year.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm almost starting to think that my devices are faulty. Thread after thread people talk about this amazingly optimized iOS that doesn't need more RAM, and yet websites keep throwing errors and reloading tabs, apps crashing—even more so on the A7 and A8 than the A6 before them, and it's well known that 64-bit chips use more RAM. You guys who say iOS doesn't need more RAM, do you just never have these problems or do you not use your device enough to notice it? I'm genuinely curious.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I'm almost starting to think that my devices are faulty. Thread after thread people talk about this amazingly optimized iOS that doesn't need more RAM, and yet websites keep throwing errors and reloading tabs, apps crashing—even more so on the A7 and A8 than the A6 before them, and it's well known that 64-bit chips use more RAM. You guys who say iOS doesn't need more RAM, do you just never have these problems or do you not use your device enough to notice it? I'm genuinely curious.

What problems? My iPads run fine.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
No you can't. You need a tool called GeekBench downloaded from the App Store to see the RAM.

He's probably thinking of Sunspider which only tests the speed of the browser and by proxy the CPU, but yeah you need GeekBench to test RAM.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
He's probably thinking of Sunspider which only tests the speed of the browser and by proxy the CPU, but yeah you need GeekBench to test RAM.

Mhm but SunSpider wouldn't show us the RAM amount. Which is something you have already mentioned.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
This thread was started with ram concerned and you responded with benchmark scores. :rolleyes:

The premise of the thread is the false assumption that Air 2 has 1GB of RAM, which is incorrect and thus irrelevant. Air 2 has the same amount of RAM as Google's new flagship tablet, and iOS still uses less of it for system processes than L (I refuse to call it Lollipop), so it actually has more free RAM.

Anyway, I was merely responding to your BS about the Air 2 being "under-specced", because it actually has the best specifications of any ARM device on the market. The benchmarks are merely tools that prove, for instance, that a 1.4 Ghz dual-core Cyclone core is faster than a 2.7 Ghz quad-core Snapdragon. Thus, as you know, a dual-core A8 is a better "spec" than a quad-core Snapdragon 8xx series (those Cyclone cores are monstrously wide).

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

Honestly, I believe it could be a device to device thing. That's why some of us don't have problems and some do. I rarely have more than two tabs going at once since I'm not a good multi tasker. I do cycle between some apps and certainly play some higher end games but I've just never had reloads or crashes on my Air. It's a cellular model which may or may NOT matter. Who knows for sure?

I believe that people are having problems and it does suck for them. But I am still not convinced it's purely the quantity of RAM but rather how safari manages RAM. It probably depends on what websites you hit too.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
The premise of the thread is the false assumption that Air 2 has 1GB of RAM, which is incorrect and thus irrelevant. Air 2 has the same amount of RAM as Google's new flagship tablet, and iOS still uses less of it for system processes than L (I refuse to call it Lollipop), so it actually has more free RAM.

Anyway, I was merely responding to your BS about the Air 2 being "under-specced", because it actually has the best specifications of any ARM device on the market. The benchmarks are merely tools that prove, for instance, that a 1.4 Ghz dual-core Cyclone core is faster than a 2.7 Ghz quad-core Snapdragon. Thus, as you know, a dual-core A8 is a better "spec" than a quad-core Snapdragon 8xx series (those Cyclone cores are monstrously wide).
It's no more a false assumption than saying "I can read blurry text, so it must have 2GB RAM".

I'll be right in line to buy one if it comes out to be what is "rumored", "assumed", etc. in regards to having 2GB RAM.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
What problems? My iPads run fine.

Are you kidding me? Just before I came back to check the forums I had a crash on MacRumors! Not even especially intensive! Here is a screenshot from literally 2 minutes ago:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 99

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
And this therefore means everyone has a problem and RAM is to blame?

The problems he's talking about have been known widely since the original Air launched. It's widespread and it's apparently something Apple was determined to address in 8.1.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
The problems he's talking about have been known widely since the original Air launched. It's widespread and it's apparently something Apple was determined to address in 8.1.

Forget it, ZB is about as true blue to apple as one can possibly be. He does not perceive any issue on his iPad, so therefor all complaints are invalid.

Use the ignore feature, and your enjoyment of macrumors will greatly increase.

BTW - here is a pic of the thing that has never, ever, ever happened - Apple touting RAM increases for a mobile device in a keynote.

*PIC reported to be fake, so removing for now*

Last edited:

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
http://www.wired.com/2014/10/ipad-air-2/

Physically though, the iPad Air 2 is lighter and thinner the first iPad Air: It’s 6.1mm thin, and weighs just under a pound. As rumored, it’s got 2GB of RAM, a new A8x processor and M8 coprocessor for better multitasking, page scrolling, and gaming action...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ipad-air-2-vs-htc-nexus-9-which-better-high-end-android-tablet-1470554

Powering the iPad Air 2 is Apple's new 64-bit A8X processor and 1GB RAM, a beefed up variant of the A8 found inside the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

:D

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Not sure how you determined what "widespread" means. Becauseif its MacRumors posters you are referring to, that is not "widespread".

----------

They have never mentioned the RAM specs for the IOS devices in their keynotes. We have always had to wait on the teardown.

Yes, I know. I was being sarcastic. The :rolleyes: should have given it away.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Not sure how you determined what "widespread" means. Becauseif its MacRumors posters you are referring to, that is not "widespread".

----------

Yes, I know. I was being sarcastic. The :rolleyes: should have given it away.

Apple support forums, Neogaf community forum, Macrumors forums. It's widespread. The fact that Apple themselves acknowledged the reload issue is all you'd think a person would need to know to comprehend that perhaps it's an actual issue.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Or maybe if you know its not about specs anymore. Thats 1990's thinking.

So then if you got a mac mini or imac you would get the base model? Do you have the base macbook air? If it's not about spec's then the base model of everything is all you need, why do they sell different spec'ed setups of the same thing?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Forget it, ZB is about as true blue to apple as one can possibly be. He does not perceive any issue on his iPad, so therefor all complaints are invalid.

BTW - here is a pic of the thing that has never, ever, ever happened - Apple touting RAM increases for a mobile device in a keynote.

Lol that's fake

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Uh, oh. How will they come back on this one?

----------

Lol, I knew this would be it.

Lol that's fake

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah, they didn't cover RAM specs in their keynote. That is so strange. Something they've always done before they somehow skipped it this time... :rolleyes:

When haas Apple covered ram? They never give out that information.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
So then if you got a mac mini or imac you would get the base model? Do you have the base macbook air? If it's not about spec's then the base model of everything is all you need, why do they sell different spec'ed setups of the same thing?

That's very two dimensional thinking. Fact is the base model would do everything I need. Busy because I'm more technologically savvy than the average bear doesn't mean a 1GB iPad doesn't function as designed. And it doesn't mean Apple can choose to deemphasize specs in favor of capabilities.

You are also comparing a PC with a tablet. I'm getting the sense you just like to argue. Fine. Apple sells millions with their strategy, but they are somehow wrong. They should publish every single spec inside their iPad so the .001% of users that care about that can be satisfied, and the 99.9% of the rest of their user base can be confused out of their minds.

I hope you're not working in marketing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.