No 3G on Verizon iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nd3eb, Sep 29, 2012.

1. nd3eb macrumors member

I live in NYC and switched from AT&T to Verizon for the iPhone 5. Verizon has more LTE coverage in NYC and surrounding areas I visit often.

I am so far not liking the Verizon service (as far as data goes). The call quality is perfect, but when LTE isn't available I'm automatically getting 'edge' speeds. (The little circle "o" is next to Verizon on the top where it normally says LTE). My girlfriend has the 4s with Verizon and she's getting 3G when I'm always getting edge.

Their LTE is great and I get it most places but sometimes it doesn't automatically go to LTE. I sometimes have to trigger airplane mode on and then back off to initiate the LTE in spots that I know I should have it.

Just wondering if this is normal or something is wrong with the antenna on my phone. I don't understand why when I'm not getting LTE in NYC (where I should always have it anyway...) that it goes to edge and not 3G as a backup. It painfully slow and annoying.
    I've even tried turning off LTE under settings to see if i would get 3G and its automatically going to edge... It's like 3G is nonexistent.

I'm actually missing AT&T at times...

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The grass isn't always greener. We were going to switch all our lines to VZW last February, glad we didn't. The reason was even though I was satisfied with AT&T, was getting sucked into hype

3. nd3eb thread starter macrumors member

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

You should be getting 3G when LTE isn't available where you are... unless you're hanging out in the boonies. Something is wrong with either your phone or the way Verizon has provisioned it.

5. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

did you try reinstalling ios? something is wrong here bring it to a genius bar if reinstalling ios6 doesnt help.

6. jester0723 macrumors regular

My Verizon 5 drops from LTE to 3G when I leave the city where I have LTE coverage. Sometimes I have to toggle airplane mode to get it to reconnect to LTE. Go figure.

7. FamousLastX macrumors newbie

Right on point. I'd suggest that you give Verizon a call and see if they can reprovision your phone, and if that fails I'd visit Apple for a swap.

8. brownricetofu macrumors member

Same here

I have gone from a Verizon 4S to a Verizon 5, and it seems like the phone only has 2 connection options- Edge or LTE. Where the hell is the 3G? Every call I make goes out over EDGE not 3G and I am actually dropping calls that I used to be able to make on my 4S over 3G. (Same spot in my office)

I am also in NYC. I guess I will call Verizon and see what they say.

Any help very much appreciated. BTW- besides this, I freaking love my iPhone 5.

9. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

I'm getting 40mbps download tethered to my laptop here in NYC. Verizon data is awesome! I came from AT&T and couldn't be happier. The little o means no data service. If you're having issues reset your Network settings. I have never had to toggle Airplane mode to get LTE. I am sooooo much happier with Verizon on the ip5.

10. JrJ 15 macrumors member

The o stands for verizon's 2g technology. Does not mean no data connection.

11. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

You can't make calls over 3G on Verizon. Every time you make a call (on an iphone) you will see the phone go from LTE to "o" (or with the 4S it goes from 3G to "o"). This is normal. That's not why you are dropping calls.

12. livspop macrumors regular

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Same here. Glad I hadn't ported my number over yet and stayed with AT&T.