Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacCentral quotes Apple's Directory of Power Mac Product Marketing, Tom Boger regarding the 3GHz prediction from Steve Jobs last year. According to Boger, Apple will not meet the 3GHz promise:

When we made that prediction, we just didn't realize the challenges moving to 90 nanometer would present. It turned out to be a much bigger challenge than anyone expected.

All-in-all, no we are not getting to 3GHz anytime soon, but what we are announcing today is a very significant upgrade in performance and its something that are customers will be very happy with.

Boger also states that users should not expect G5 PowerBooks this year.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hopefully this will stop the "Apple will release 3GHz machines next week" speculation

arn

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
arn said:
Hopefully this will stop the "Apple will release 3GHz machines next week" speculation

arn

Yes, but we can still (realistically) hope for a G5 iMac.

Steve loves triumphant, major iMac revisions... it'll be a great show. :D

aussiemac86

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
the land of OZ
He says
" but what we are announcing today is a very significant upgrade in performance and its something that are customers will be very happy with. "

Im not that happy.
Firstly the proc speed i am happy with ( not their fault and it is a decent speed anyway) and the upgraded bus is nice.After almost a year though i would have expected better gfx cards, and maybe even a slightly new case, something....anything, and with him saying no 3GHz soon that means no more upgrades until when? January at the eariliest, next June?....

I just hope we get something special with new displays soon.

xy14

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2004
Minneapolis
iMac

He never said no iMac G5. I bet it will be released at WWDC with Mac OS 10.4 installed on it. I am going to put that on my site. (apple.gq.nu)

five04

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2003
Charlotte, North Carolina
notice how they released these pitiful g5's (minus the 2.5) before wwdc so they wouldn't get such bad publicity for it. then again, maybe this guy is just blowing smoke up our asses. i can't see a reason to release a g5 imac at developer's conference though.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
BOOOOOO! What good is a reality distortion field if you can't actually distort reality with it? :D

Ah well, the 3.0 Ghz machines will come soon enough, even if SJ is made out to be a liar. As for G5 PBs, not too many of us were actually expecting those before January '05 anyways.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
arn said:

arn

I love MacRumors - but I agree with ARN completely. Any thread, on any topic, always has some bozo putting in a line about G5 Powerbooks. ;)

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
xy14 said:
He never said no iMac G5. I bet it will be released at WWDC with Mac OS 10.4 installed on it. I am going to put that on my site. (apple.gq.nu)

True true, but read this statement.
Boger said:
While Boger didn't give a timeframe for an iMac G5, he did say the company faced similar challenges getting a G5 to work with their consumer desktop.

"It's the same story -- the challenges are obvious when you look at the G5 and the size of the heatsinks and the enclosure; that would be a heck of a challenge as well."
Perhaps they solved those issues ... but I wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
sorry to be a little OT, but what's with the constant speculation on displays? the LCD technology hasn't progressed much since the last cinema display updates. all we can hope for is bigger ones at lower prices. they will probably have different enclosures but i find that hardly worth waiting over...

unless you are waiting for a 30" LCD (which will cost nearly $4k, i imagine), you are basically waiting for the current cinema displays but encased in aluminum... i guess if that's what you want, that's what you want. but i don't understand the hype surrounding new displays.

itsa

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
CyberB0b said:
Today, the glass is definitely half empty.

Not if we are shooting for 3GHz? The sad thing is... what's next? When everyone else is shooting for 4 and up apple is scrathing their heads.

seraphnyc

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2004
NYC, NY - USA
DAMN!

Oh well, so much for the "yes they are. No they aren't" arguments.
It is time to buy a new Mac. (A vast majorit of the hotsh*t games coming out are recommending [<---keyword 'not the required CPU' ]a 1Ghz or higher processor for optimal game play.)

I wonder how much I would have to prostitute myself for to get 3 grand for a 2.5 G5?

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
Macrumors said:

Excellent. So I can feel confident/safe about buying a g4 pb in the next 2 weeks. :D

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Steve should really not make claims he isn't sure can be made. 100 million downloads on iTunes; 3 GHz G5s in a year...heck, they didn't even release iTunes 4.6 when he said they would (they can't even get "today" right?!). :rolleyes:

Still, I'm excited about the liquid cooling technology on the new G5s and will have to read up on that. I'm just saying that you shouldn't promise people the Moon when your rocket ain't even close to being built yet.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
xy14 said:

WWDC is PREVIEWING 10.4. nothing will ship with 10.4 for quite some time. geez.

WWDC is for developers - apple needs to let developers know about 10.4 ahead of its release so they can work on software to be run on 10.4. what good is it for apple to release 10.4 when there are no apps?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
arn said:
Doubtful. Just as when Steve Jobs first said that an Apple PDA wasn't going to happen back in 2003, we still got plenty of rumors coming in (especially over the past three months). Point being: People choose want they to happen, usually based on strong desires, then "report" that. Again, people want keywords like "G5" and "3GHz" and "WWDC" and "will happen anyways." So far, it's not WWDC, and that means people have time to "report" what they want until "all bets are off."

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
I wonder what steve is going to have to say at the WWDC to explain why he couldn't deliver what he promised. I know it's "technical challenges", but steve always has something more witty to say. Well i'll be there.

Steve said this "will be worth it". There must be some super amazing announcement other than Tiger.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
arn said:

arn
Probably will stop the speculation.

Likely to increase the Apple lied rants -- which is pointless since Apple isn't responsible for the technical challenges related to the 90nm shrink.

Intel also ran into some problems at 90nm (related to power dissipation problems), we all hoped IBM's method would work their way around a bunch of the problems Intel was having -- maybe not, we'll see.

Problems aren't new and it usually takes some time to engineer your way around them, hopefully not as long as it took Motorola to go from 350MHz to 450MHz. :(

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
jxyama said:
sorry to be a little OT, but what's with the constant speculation on displays? the LCD technology hasn't progressed much since the last cinema display updates. all we can hope for is bigger ones at lower prices. they will probably have different enclosures but i find that hardly worth waiting over....
Sorry, but it's just me personally, I need to get a new LCD in the next few months, so having the enclosures would be a plus for me. Not the biggest fan of the the plastic ... or of the price. The other reason I hope they upgrade ... LCD components has dropped in price in the recent months.

Anyway that's my perspective. ^_^

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
autrefois said:
Steve should really not make claims he isn't sure can be made. 100 million downloads on iTunes; 3 GHz G5s in a year...heck, they didn't even release iTunes 4.6 when he said they would (they can't even get "today" right?!). :rolleyes:

those were goals. :rolleyes:

at the time the statements were made, perhaps under optimistic views, he thought those statements would come true.

i think it says more about some of us who take his words too literally and cling to them as if they are some sort of infallible promises. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.