Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

My-kl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I've discovered that burned burned DVDs don't have surround sound - they're coming out in stereo. I don't know if the problem is with MakeMKV (when ripping it says it's doing it in 5.1) or with Toast 11.

So, what can I do to fix this? Is there a Toast setting I'm missing or a different program I can try?

I'm posting here because:
- I can't post in the MakeMKV forum because I've never received the activation email.
- I can't post in the Toast forum because any attempt to log in results in this appearing in the location bar: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?failed=1 and I presume it's the word failed that's the problem: I can't access any pages. I've tried opening a new account and also logging in from other machines and resetting my password.

JasonA

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
If you're using Toast to author the DVDs, it doesn't encode to 5.1 and will not honor the 5.1 settings unless you use another authoring program to create the VIDEO_TS folder. Whatever you throw into Toast - mkv with 5.1, sound - Toast re-encodes everything to stereo PCM or AC-3, depending the setting in preferences.

JasonA

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
1. Either use a program like DVD Studio Pro + Compressor to encode your footage and author the DVD, or

2. Demux and remux what you have: demux your Toast-encoded DVD to M2V (video only file); Demux your MKV to AC-3 (5.1). Rename the resulting m2v & AC-3 files to have the same name. Then build a new DVD in Toast, using the m2V video & 5.1 AC-3 audio files. If the files have the same name (but with different extensions), Toast will mux the 2 together and use the 5.1 audio. I believe there is a preference setting in Toast that need to set "re-encode: never". Then, instead of re-encoding your stuff to stereo, Toast will simply mux (combine) original 5.1 audio with m2v video.

You can use free MPEG Streamclip and/or TS Muxer GUI to demux your files.

My-kl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Bloody hell, option 2 looks needlessly long and complex. I just want to put MKVs on disc in 5.1! Where can I get Compressor and DVD Studio Pro as free trials? I can't find links that work. The best I could find was an update for DVD Studio Pro...

JasonA

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
Apple discontinued DVD Studio Pro (as part of Final Cut Studio) 4 years ago when they brought out Final Cut Pro X. It still runs on the current OS X, but there's no way to legitimately buy a new copy now. You'll either have to look for a used copy of Final Cut Studio boxed suite on eBay, or pirate it from a torrent site.

Adobe Encore may give you similar options and still be available, but I have not used it.

My-kl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I have Final Cut Pro X. How do I use that? It won't let me inport a film in MKV.

JasonA

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
Final Cut Pro X is a video editor; you need a DVD authoring program. Those are 2 different tools.

My-kl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I've used Toast for years. I've just put on a DVD I burned sometime last year and it's in 5.1. What the hell is going on?

JasonA

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
Was that previous disc something you just made a copy of, or did you actually build/author it? Toast can COPY discs with 5.1 audio no problem; it just can't ENCODE/AUTHOR them from scratch.

Reactions: phrehdd

My-kl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Every disc I've mentioned has been ripped with something (either MakeMKV or something I can't remember) and then burned onto a blank disc with Toast.

JasonA

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
MKV is just a container, it can hold lots of different formats of video and audio. I would look at the specs for each file (one that burns correctly and the other that doesn't) and see what's different about them. Have you used MediaInfo? Check it out, it's free and will tell you all the details about your media files:
http://mediainfo-mac.en.softonic.com/mac

My-kl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I didn't keep the MKVs of files that worked. Once it's on disc I erased it from my drive. Can I use MediaInfo to analyse the 5.1 DVD? Or can I put it back in an MKV and analyse it?

I'm currently downloading DVD Studio 3, hopefully that'll work. I already downloaded Compressor. Why do I need Compressor?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I didn't keep the MKVs of files that worked. Once it's on disc I erased it from my drive. Can I use MediaInfo to analyse the 5.1 DVD? Or can I put it back in an MKV and analyse it?

I'm currently downloading DVD Studio 3, hopefully that'll work. I already downloaded Compressor. Why do I need Compressor?

Compresor converts/compresses your video file to video and audio tracks suitable for a DVD with the hour per disk that you want... and bit rate... and compatible with DVDSP. Not sure how much is really necessary. The files get imported into DVDSP which assembles them in playable format with the menu you construct. You can burn the DVD directly from DVDSP.

My-kl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Surely I don't actually need Compressor if I already have an MKV taken from a DVD?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I'm of no help to you, was just trying to answer your compressor question.

I'm not sure why you are downloading DVDSP and compressor other to experiment, I don't think either of them will accept MKVs directly.... but I dunno. When I want to copy DVDs I use Disk utility. If I'm authoring from video clips then compressor and DVDSP are used. Otherwise I'm archiving disks for playback by my AppleTV.

My-kl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Looks like I've found my answer. Aimersoft DVD Creator. No fuss, turns the MKV into 5.1 DVD and compresses at the same time.

Thanks for all your replies!

Chad3eleven

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
If you made the MKV from a DVD, why do you need to re burn it?

Looks like you downloaded a ripped MKV movie with 5.1 and want to burn it.

Personally I'd invest in a WDTV Live, I play everyfile type through it. no burning needed.. just click and drag onto a hard drive.

Sir Loin

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
Did Aimersoft work?

Looks like I've found my answer. Aimersoft DVD Creator. No fuss, turns the MKV into 5.1 DVD and compresses at the same time.

Thanks for all your replies!

My-kl: did Aimersoft DVD Creator work well? I'm having the same problems you're having.

robinwjonsson

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
I've discovered that burned burned DVDs don't have surround sound - they're coming out in stereo. I don't know if the problem is with MakeMKV (when ripping it says it's doing it in 5.1) or with Toast 11.

So, what can I do to fix this? Is there a Toast setting I'm missing or a different program I can try?

I'm posting here because:
- I can't post in the MakeMKV forum because I've never received the activation email.
- I can't post in the Toast forum because any attempt to log in results in this appearing in the location bar: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?failed=1 and I presume it's the word failed that's the problem: I can't access any pages. I've tried opening a new account and also logging in from other machines and resetting my password.

I've found a way to author DVD-music only on Mac os 10.10. For only playing surround music for clients or whoever.
It works on a Philips HTS5540 home audio system.
If anyone still cares..... :)

I bounced a surround mix pcm 44100 khz with Logic X. (Logic X has a setting for placing the mix the "surround-field"
Then I imported it in the app called Compressor and exported it as "create DVD - Dolby Digital"
Then I burned it in Toast 11 as DVD-Video.

Voila!

Cameronlafond

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2016
I've found a way to author DVD-music only on Mac os 10.10. For only playing surround music for clients or whoever.
It works on a Philips HTS5540 home audio system.
If anyone still cares..... :)

I bounced a surround mix pcm 44100 khz with Logic X. (Logic X has a setting for placing the mix the "surround-field"
Then I imported it in the app called Compressor and exported it as "create DVD - Dolby Digital"
Then I burned it in Toast 11 as DVD-Video.

Voila!
Did it keep the true 5.1 surround?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.