No 5.1 surround sound on ATV2 with "handbraked" files

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by wonkothesane258, Jun 2, 2011.

1. wonkothesane258 macrumors newbie

I found an aswer to my problem in another thread marked as "solved" but does not work for me. This is the situation:

What I do is transcoding my DVDs using RipIt Version 1.5.5 (1.5.5) / Handbrake Version 0.9.5 x86_64 (2011010300), using the "High Profie", and then adjusting the audio tracks typically as follows:

- track 1: english 5.1 --> encoder: AAC --> mixdown: Dolby Pro Logic II;
    - track 2: english 5.1 --> encoder: AC3 Passthru --> mixdown: AC3 Passthru;
    - track 3: german 5.1 --> encoder: AAC --> mixdown: Dolby Pro Logic II;
    - track 4: german 5.1 --> encoder: AC3 Passthru --> mixdown: AC3 Passthru;

Now what I get is four language tracks when playing in iTunes or QuickTime: the two Dolby tracks are enabled and show up as "stereo" (ok, I guess from what I understand how Dolby Pro Logic works) and the two surround tracks grayed out (probably since there is no 5.1 system attached to my mac).

However, when I play the file from my ATV2 it shows only two language tracks (one German and one English) and from the sound quality it is definitely the "pseudo-5.1" coming from the stereo tracks mixed down as Dolby Pro Logic II.

So I still do not know what to do to play "real" 5.1 sound via my ATV from ripped DVDs.

Thanks for any advice! :confused:

Below an activity log from handbrake, just in case:

2. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Well, I haven't tried it on the atv 2 but I know that on the atv 1 if there are two tracks with the same name one in aac and one in ac3 it sees them as one track and decides for itself which to play. As well having two "sets" of track (meaning aac +ac3) seemed to bork the auto ac3.

As a test try removing the last ac3 track, you should find that it will use the ac3 5.1 surround track for english and the aac track for Deutsch (of course presuming your setup for the ac3 pass through track via optical).

Maybe just try a one chapter test. See if that works.

fwiw the aac dpl2 mixdown is actually 5.0 (there is no lfe channel).

3. wonkothesane258 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I will give it a shot and post back the results.
    What I'll do is take one existing file and "kill" the AAC tracks, then test it.

I know DPL is 5.0, however from the handbrake wiki I also got:

Yes, it sounds more spacial than 2.0, but other than the lack of a dedicated subwoofer channel, it sounds almost "flat" compared to the original DVd sound when compared on my system.

4. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Okay, but I suggest just as a test do it with say:

English AAC
    English AC3
    Deutsch AAC

Just to see if its the same setup as the atv1 (which I believe it is).

Yes, DPL2 is good, obviously not as good as AC3 5.1 . Was only pointing out the often overlooked fact that hb's DPL2 is not actually 5.1 .

Good luck.

5. wonkothesane258 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I will try as you suggested.

Here is my - weird - result by deleting both AAC tracks (English and Deutsch):

- both languages as before on iTunes
    - NO sound using QuickTime X (although both languages appear in the menu)
    - both languages as before using QuickTime 7
    - NO sound on ATV2

Out of curisosity, here is my wiring of the ATV2:

ATV2 ---HDMI--> Loewe TV set ---digital coax--> Loewe AudioVision

It also appears that sound from rented or bought movies acutally do deliver the "real" 5.1 sound.

Any ideas? :confused:

6. wonkothesane258 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now, there is definitely something wrong here.

I checked my wiring, detected that I had a cable dangling from my optical out of my ATV2, but not connected anywhere. I unplugged it - no change.
    I then power-cycled the ATV2 - no change.

Then I created the file you suggested.
    It played fine on iTunes.
    Then I had the idea to airplay it to the ATV2. Guess what: 5.1 sound!
    Next, I went back to the file before (only AC3 tracks, no AACs) and also got 5.1 sound! Lastly I tried the original file with all four tracks: now I get all four tracks in their corresponding sound!

So it has to do with either of the following:
    - AirPlaying the file from iTunes first or in combination with
    - unplugging the TOS-Link
    - power-cycling the ATV2

Hm.....

7. wonkothesane258 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: On the Apple Discussion Forum I was told that there might be a glitch with the DDS setting of the ATV2.
    At least 2 out of 2 others had a similar issue fixed by power-cycling and/or toggling the DDS setting off and back on.
    Will explore further.