No 5s pre-order. So...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalt, Sep 11, 2013.

1. kalt macrumors regular

I'm so disappointed that Apple is not doing any pre-orders for the 5s like they've done for every other new iPhone, and like they're doing for the 5c. Why? The only reason I can think of is to get large lines at the stores for the new iPhone and the press coverage that comes with it. Pretty cynical, but nothing else makes sense. Large lines = stock price goes up a buck or two. Obviously that's worth disappointing your most loyal customers (sadly it really is).

I've always pre-ordered my new iphone. I know I can order it online on the 20th, but that means it will take a few more days to get it. I'd rather just pre-order it on the 13th and get it shipped to me on the 20th. Damn.

So here's my question... If I go to the Apple store at 8AM on the 20th (there are 3 of them here in Houston fairly close to me) will I be wasting my time hoping to get a white 64GB 5s? I'm not going to wait in line the night before, if only out of principle.

I'm not asking anyone to predict the future, I'm just wondering what it's been like in past experiences. Did anyone show up on release day to try to get an iPhone 5? What happened? Will authorized retailers like Best Buy and AT&T stores have the 5S on Sept 20th? I've heard differing things about that.

Thanks

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

i've bought every generation since the 3g

3gs i pre-ordered and it was sold out for months
    4 i bought a month or so after release in the store. online the waits were long, but it was in the stores
    4s i pre ordered
    5 i preordered and bought in the store. you had to reserve it in the store to get it

every year apple increased capacity and it was easier to buy

white 64gb you should be ok since not too many people buy it

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

It should be easy to get a 64GB since it's the lowest selling model. You should be fine. I don't think they didn't allow preorders for the purpose of generating lines, I think it's because they really are afraid that they might have supply issues with the 5S. Remember it's launching day 1 in China as well this time around.

4. ewils19 macrumors 6502

Its good to hear that the 64 GB is usually the lowest selling. I'm also wanting to get a white 64 GB (gold if they have it but silver is fine too) but I'm torn between just ordering early in the morning on the 20th or going into the store after I get off work (so around 3 pm) and taking my chances. Any thoughts?

5. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Apple are masters of bringing a piece of technology from a presentation stage, to another stage in the retail store.
    Hype within the media will be created with huge lines at the stores on release day. They'll sell out. More people will queue.

It's the perfect crime. Genius.

6. thecurryman macrumors 6502

Also, they are really pushing for the 5c to be sold. All carriers are offering 5c pre orders along with huge pictures of the 5c on each website with hardly a mention of the 5s.... it only makes sense. apple offers the 5c which gives them a higher profit margin and costs $100 less for consumers. they are pushing people to buy that so they are only going to offer a pre order for the 5c

at least thats what i think

7. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

wait what? There is no pre-order for the 5s?? I thought i read that somewhere here after the announcement but brushed it off since not many responded to it.

WTF is this crap, there is going to HUGE lines like no other now..

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Hopefully we can just order online starting at midnight on the 20th.

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'd say your chances of getting it are good considering the 64gb sells the least. I'd probably say come a little earlier than 8am though..

10. kalt thread starter macrumors regular

I was hoping this would be the case but in the past the apple store is "down for repairs" or whatever that little yellow tag thing says and the updated store with the new product occurs around 10am-11am eastern time. So there's probably zero chance it will be up for ordering online at midnight on the 20th. I'll do that if I can, but I'm not counting on it.

I'm really so ****ing pissed about this.

It's good to hear the 64GB version sells the least. Though that probably means they have the least of them in stock.

11. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Apple's servers are going to get slammed so hard. It's infuriating because I've just moved to an area where the nearest apple store is about 3 hours away. I was counting on ordering it online and then having it shipped to me. Without the preorder option, I'm at the mercy of their servers to get a first batch iphone and even then it'll take a couple days for it to ship to me. :mad:

12. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

This. Go around 6-7 IMO. Apple stores will open earlier than 9 based on my experience buying the 4.

13. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Well, Apple already has the 5S up on the online store. It's just listed as currently unavailable.

I'm not sure I want to do the online thing, so I might just order online if I can get a jump on things. Even if that means waiting until after the weekend to receive the phone.

14. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Great move apple
    Now all the scalpers will buy them instore and put them on eBay for double the price.

Sucks because there's only one apple store here in Ireland and I live 2 hours away from it.

15. kalt thread starter macrumors regular

Yea it is up on the store site, but apple has never updated anything on its site at midnight. Not once for anything, ever. Then again they've always done pre-orders for new iphones and ipads so maybe this will be a first.... breaking with custom and all.

16. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68020

Last year you could walk into the Highland Village store at 3pm and they had plenty of stock. But they had preorders then, so this year could be different. Also have the option of just swinging by a smaller carrier store, done that in the past with no problem also. Who knows this year. I would go probably go at like 6ish to be sure this year.

17. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

They usually strictly limit how many devices any one person can buy.

Helps cut down on the scalpers quite a bit.

18. Kealohilani macrumors 6502

This is hopefully the one time being a Sprint customer might help. I'm hoping that since they are less popular than the other carriers, I will be able to go to a Sprint store early in the morning and be able to walk out with a 5s when they open. There is always waiting in line at the local Lexington KY Apple store but from what I understand the line last year was huge and that's when they had a pre-order. I'm thinking Best Buy or the Sprint store may be my best bet for getting a 32gb gold 5s.

19. kalt thread starter macrumors regular

Will the small carrier stores like AT&T and Best Buy have the new 5S on release day?

20. woodynorman macrumors 6502

Are there really people dumb enough to buy an iPhone off ebay for double the price, rather than ordering online and waiting a couple days to get it??

21. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Yea there's loads of dumb people with plenty of money just waiting to line the scalpers pockets.

Alot of people won't/can't queue so will quite happily pay over the odds to get it on release day.

22. RevTEG macrumors regular

RevTEG

My wife and I love waiting in the long lines on launch day. We had a great time waiting over 9 hours in line for the iPhone 4. In San Jose,Ca Starbucks offering all the coffee you could drink. Cheesecake Factory gave out free appetizers all day. People played live music. It was a blast. Would I want to do it everyday? NO. But "the line" is part of Apple culture. :)

23. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Normally when the launch day stock runs out its weeks before there is a second allocation (at least for the unlocked stock here). Some people would rather pay over the odds rather than queue at 6am and get one.

24. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

Apple is turning a supply constraint (normally a bad thing when debuting a new product) into a good thing by generating lines, and selling out its temporary stock, which in turn drives up the demand.

25. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I've always pre-ordered the iPhone so I wouldn't have to wait in any lines to get it and this year will be the same; I'm gonna order on the 20th and wait the extra few days for it to be delivered.

I'm just wondering if they will start allowing orders at 12AM Pacific, 3AM eastern like the preorders.