No 960×640 in iPhone 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Florida Gator, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Florida Gator macrumors regular

With the rumors of the next iPhone featuring a 960×640 resolution display, I had expected there would be some mention or hint of it in the iPhone 4.0 announcement. Something letting the developers know to start developing at twice the resolution. I have not seen any mention of this anywhere and am assuming it is not mentioned at all in the new SDK.

Now, I can understand not wanting to tip their hand on new hardware, but if a 960×640, or WVGA, screen is coming in the next hardware, don't developers need to know now? Maybe only a few privileged ones know? Maybe they just plan to scale apps 2x initially? Maybe 960×640 isn't happening at all?

Not trying to start a debate on whether higher resolution is needed or not, simply wondering how it could be left out of the SDK if it were going to be included on the new iPhone in a few months.

2. wildonrio macrumors 6502

I think it's because Apple never gives any confirmations of a new iPhone until it is just about to come out. They'll just double scale the old apps until the devs can catch up. Remember, double scaling an app will look exactly the same as they do now so no one will be disgusted, like how they look on the iPad.

Also, I bet all of the HD iPad apps can be slightly modified to work on the iPhone HD. Just some resizing here and there and making the buttons bigger. Not too hard.

3. nateharr macrumors 6502

I honestly think Apple refreshed all of the Home Screen icons because of the coming "iPhone HD."

Why else would they seem more detailed and higher resolution?

Just my two cents.

4. macfan881 macrumors 68020

note they said 4.0 will be out in the Summer. 2 they usually have diffrent SDK seeds out so I'm sure close to wwdc or after they may relase a build that will be made ready for the new iPhone thats why i think will see 4.0 mid july

5. iVoid macrumors 65816

For use on the iPad maybe?