No apologies: Obama blames ‘bad apple’ plans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by palmerc2, Nov 4, 2013.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Obama has knowingly lied, now that he doesn't have to worry about getting re-elected, the truth comes out. He always said with ACA, we can keep our individual health insurance plans. Now that hundreds of thousands of people got their coverage cancelled, he's blaming the "bad apple" insurance companies. When will someone admit they're wrong and own up to their mistake? Obama thinks he can never be wrong, and people believe him.

I've even linked to msnbc, a favorite news source on this forum, so there's no way this can be fake

Read here:
    http://on.msnbc.com/19TjElZ

2. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

Why should he apologize for that? The insurance industry knew this was coming and what it's parameters were they're failure is not his.

What he should be apologizing for is his inability to get universal single payer passed.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I agree with the blame towards those insurance companies. Most likely was to purposely make ACA look bad.

I bet the ratio of those who haven't been dropped is extremely higher than those who have. So this is really all about nothing.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Sorry but I've got to go against the flow here. Obama knew this was going to happen yet didn't mention it. There is something wrong there. Doesn't matter that the big insurance companies are doing it. It was still wrong for Obama to imply it.

5. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Context is everything....

Did he say that everyone of the ±300.000.000 people with healthcare could keep their plans ? Did he say that would include even the most bizzare constructs written on toilet-paper ?

Or did he just say that those with !proper! insurance could keep their contracts ?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This certainly puts a bit more perspective on it.

http://www.publicintegrity.org/2013...&utm_medium=social_media&utm_campaign=twitter

7. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

From different article:
    Source

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The bolded bit is the important part.

The law actually lets even non-compliant plans be renewed through 2015, but it's not up to the law or the government if the private sector insurance companies decide to kill a plan or up their premiums or cut their coverage and blame it on the ACA.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=241903912

B

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Have you ever stopped and looked at what a rotten deal some of those "Mini Med" policies were?

Most of them were literally worse than useless.

Many of them had such absurdly low limits (as little as $700 per illness) as to be of virtually no value to the poor saps who thought they were buying some economic security for their $50 or $75 per month.

This family was paying $4000 a year for coverage that still left them liable to medical bankruptcy as a result of relatively common (and short duration) medical conditions. Good riddance to junk plans like that.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Obama-bad. Insurance companies-good.

How Insurers Are Hiding Obamacare Benefits From Customers

11. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry. The last thing on earth a company wants to do is get rid of paying customers. Especially those evil for profit insurance companies.

So 10+ million which is an extremely low number is all about nothing?

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Private companies are perfectly capable of acting irrationally.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What most of them probably want to do is upsell these customers to plans that will cost them more and give them less. i.e. more profit for the insurer.

e.g. http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/insurance-companies-misleading-letters-obamacare

EDIT: rdowns linked to the same article a few posts back.

B

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I always understood the President's statement to mean that the ACA doesn't require insurance companies to discontinue their existing plans. If insurance companies are doing it in a widespread way, that would be the companies' doing, not the ACA.

That said, some comparisons that I have made make HDHP+HSA seem to cost about the same (to me) as an HMO plan. I would be interested to see what comparisons are available showing HDHP+HSA as being much more profitable as some have suggested.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's basically what car insurance companies do here. Every year you get a comically higher renewal offer.

16. edk99 macrumors 6502a

But I love how you guys are quick to blame this all on insurance companies when they knew from the start that they had to cancel policies because of obamacare. But as usual the President was clueless about this so we will give him a pass about drilling into us that "if we like our insurance plans we can keep them and if we like our doctor we can keep them too". To bad he did not say "Read my lips".

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Except when they aren't making money off those customers.

It's hilarious that people are actually defending insurance companies after they have proved time and time again that they don't care about any of their customers well-being or health and all they care about is making as much profit as possible. It's also hilarious that all the blame gets pinned on Obama and Obama alone when the law was actually created by Congress.

Let us not forget that the individual mandate was originally the Republican plan! This is what they proposed in the 1990s when the Clintons first tried to pass health care reform. This is what Republican Governor Mitt Romney implemented in my state. But hey, now that the evil muslim kenyan messiah actually passed it, they hate it. :rolleyes:

Most of us Democrats have said for a long time that universal healthcare is the only real solution. It's time to move America forward and join the rest of the modern world with a 21st century healthcare system.

Like I said in the last two threads on this topic, do you guys on the right actually have any SOLUTIONS? Or are you just going to keep whining and complaining and pounding your fists without actually trying to help fix the problem?

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It doesn't take that many suckers to accept a significant hike in premiums by doing nothing to make up for the lost business of the many others who will go off and find a better deal fro a competitor.

It's just business.

B

19. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Yep those nasty for profit insurance companies that don't care for their customer.

I'm sure we will hear many, many more stories like this….

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

21. edk99 macrumors 6502a

22. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Can't keep your plan, can't keep your doctor. It sucks.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

From your article:

Why is it Obama's fault that United Healthcare decided they don't want to do business for the individual California market? They're a private business after all, they can do what they like, right?

This is what happens when you rely on private companies to provide healthcare. You wouldn't have that problem if we had universal healthcare for all.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Do you want to hear the stories of what happens when somebody has no medical care at all? The problem is that the private health care system is broken because the medical community (insurance companies, administrators, physicians, medical colleges & universities, etc.) have been living so high of the hog for so long that they are blinded with respect to fairness and caring for patients. For instance, take the quote you cited: The person's health private insurance company canceled their plan. Why? Because the private insurance company wants profits and can't get profits from a sick patient. The person is afraid of losing their access to their physicians. Why? Because the physicians want to make big money.

Medical treatment cannot function as an unfettered marketplace. One cannot choose to have cancer or not, and once one is suffering an illness there is little option but to pay for treatment. One could try to shop around, but the profit motive drives the costs up. And in the end, we all pay for poor health coverage through personal and social losses. Have no doubt that you were paying for others before Obamacare - it's just now you will be paying in part to take care of others rather than paying for the damage caused by poor medical care.

EDIT: For the record, I am for public health care funded by taxes based on the ability to pay that is delivered without all the administration of billing etc. That's what we have here int he UK and it works better than the mess in the US.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He should have found some way to say, "If you're happy with your insurance, and it meets the minimum standards set by the ACA, then you can keep it."