No Apple history - $ prompt happy - Is iPad3 good for me?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by no6sixto7seven, Apr 12, 2012.

1. no6sixto7seven macrumors newbie

Do not own Apple hardware. Use W7 :eek: & Linux :). Very happy to be in front of command prompt.

Interested by iPad3 2048x1536 on 250mm display, all housed in a slim usable case.
    But is the iPad3 right for me? Please comment.

• Do not need WIFI.
    • Prefer to download data via hardline.
    • Need ability to display images & run custom java tools form command line.
    • Need basic text editor support for display of (read only) text files.
    Currently use Lenovo laptop tablet X201 with W7. I usually create design drawings and export to png. I can then display to others using touch/mouse to slide images in custom java application.

I understand that there is:
    • No immediate access to file system.
    • No USB.
    • No SD.

Can I achieve desired function out of box?
    If I jail break, would I achieve desired function?

Primary Need:
    1. Import images via hardline for display.
    2. Functions to secure iPad. e.g. disable cloud, WIFI, synch & updates.
    Secondary Need:
    1. Command prompt.
    2. Capability to install and run java development with basic "vi" text file support.
    Is the IPad3 good for me?
    My first impression after preliminary research is: The iPad is not good for me? :(
    Confirmation & Feedback welcomed.
    Links to other posts, info-articles to read would be nice.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For your primary needs it will be fine. It'll take some work to meet your secondary needs, but it can be done.

3. no6sixto7seven thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast response.

I was beginning to think it was not possible.
    I shall need to go deeper with my research.

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I think java is the biggest problem with what you require, I don't think there's java even for jailbroken iOS devices available currently, though it could be feasibly done if a jailbreak is released due to it being open source now, as jailbreak does give access to being able to run terminal on device and commands there.

Either way, there is currently no publicly released jailbreak for it, and only other way to run non approved code is with a developer account, but this doesn't help with terminal level access or java.

Though it's not quite clear what the displaying involves, the inbuilt photo viewer allows you to zoom about image and easily flick back and forth between pictures.

5. dstar macrumors regular

I think you're better off with an Android based device for your requirements.

6. BrennerM macrumors regular

Just a note, you cannot connect an ethernet cable to an iPad, there are only three ways to access data from outside the tablet:

1. connect via USB to a computer running iTunes and download files (with jailbreak you can probably do this without iTunes)
    2. connect to WiFi network
    3. connect to a cell data network (3G/4G) if you have an iPad that supports a cell connection

7. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

It sounds like JBing might get you closer to what you want to do, but I still thing based on your technical expertise, you may find working with an iPad to do technical tasks more frustrating than it might be worth. Just my 2 cents.

As a consumer product and consumption device it's 2nd to none though.

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It sounds like if you bought an iPad you'd throw it out the window.

9. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Why not just got with an android tablet? Your needs seem to match up with an open linux environment and you can write whatever software you want and install it without having to go crazy.

10. donnaw macrumors 65816

I don't think you would be happy with an iPad. I think you would find it a bit too limiting for your needs. The lack of a file system would most likely drive you nuts.

Unless you're in a really big hurry you might wait until this fall and see what Windows 8 tablets come out.

While the iPad currently has the best form factor out (IMHO) the OS isn't designed for what you do. If the new Windows tablets come close you might find that they will fit into your life much easier without the need to find work-arounds. Otherwise check out the Asus Android tablets.

11. no6sixto7seven, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

no6sixto7seven thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses, many of you are echoing how I felt after my initial research. In truth I have a good setup with my lenovo mobile dev & for group discussion. But it is big and not easy in the hand, and the display will never be as good as the iPad.

Crazy Question:
    Do you think it is possible to create a connection to local host (127.0.0.1) via an SSH app without jailbreak? and then maybe run java on some already compiled source code using the iOS java development kit (if it exists).

Or am I just day dreaming?

I did read that it was possible to use SSH & WIFI to gain access to iPad (version unknown) from remote PC to transfer data.

If I read you correctly, the only way to transfer data via copper is to use iTunes?
    Thanks for hint on developer account & potential java issues. I have a lot to think about.

12. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Sounds like you just need a good (or bad) old fashioned laptop. You'd be doing the iPad little justice, and as it sounds like you'd be typing a lot it won't be a great experience.

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I have to agree that an iPad is not what you want. Judging by your questions, I'd like to make sure you understand that:

1) There's no ethernet port on the iPad - networking is WiFi only.
    2) The USB port is through the dock connector and (without jalbreaking) is only used to sync content through iTunes.
    3) I am pretty certain there's no way to SSH into an unjailbroken iPad.
    4) Without jailbreaking, you can't execute, compile or interpret code that isn't signed by Apple. (excepting self signed code from a valid developers account which can be sync'd to a limited number of devices).
    5) There's no video in (some of your questions made it sound like you were thinking of it as a display, so wanted to point it out). There are some apps that will let you use the iPad as an extended monitor from your computer, via wifi, though.
    6) iOS development is, more or less, Obj-C only. There's a few "middleware" type projects I've seen to translate some other languages into Obj-C which you can then compile into an iOS application, but you can't develop Java apps on the iPad directly.
    7) There are some decent text editors for coders on the iPad, though. A few of them have syntazx highlighting and will save your files to a remote drive via FTP/WebDAV/etc where you could then execute or compile them, etc. Not much you can do with them ON the device, other than edit the files though.

Good luck!

14. mikepro macrumors 6502

It sounds to me like you need to rethink your need for a custom java application. Why don't you list the requirements that you need that application to do, and maybe you will find that there are apps that can already do that. I mean, if your description is just moving around a png drawing on the screen, then you can do that in the photos app. (But I'm guessing your needs aren't quite that simple)

Similarly for your command prompt "need". You don't "need" a command prompt. What is it you want to do? Start there, and see if there are apps that will let you do that.

Also, as an aside from a long time Linux guy that used to use windows laptops: When I switched to my macbook with OS X, OMG, what a weight off my shoulders! Plays soooo much nicer with Linux than windows. Terminal window with bash, vi, ssh, vnc, perl, all that goodness built right in, I feel right at home. Plus, it can still run Windows if I need it in a VM or bootcamp (and I've found I almost never need it). Consider a Mac next time you are shopping for a laptop

15. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I’d say there’s no reason for you to consider an iPad. :)

16. no6sixto7seven thread starter macrumors newbie

mrgreen4242 thanks for taking the time & effort.
    I really appreciate point 6 (Obj-C).

mikepro, I could not agree more. There are so few engineering mobile laptops around, and the MacBookPro is still WUXGA, and not 1080p. Plus all the other advantages that you just listed. Thanks.

17. kirp1234 macrumors newbie

Laptop or Android, seen too many people get disappointed:)

18. D.T., Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Just to clarify I’m not even slightly disappointed in our iPads, but I knew my usage model up front.

As a developer I wouldn’t even think about using a tablet for a development system. :)