No Audio via Toslink cable to Samsung TV - it's driving me mad! help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HFM, May 19, 2011.

1. HFM macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm new and I need help... I have a problem that's been driving me mad and I don't know how to fix it, so I need someone smarter than me's help! :)

I've been trying to connect my Macbook (bought Jan 2008) to my Samsung LE32A456C2D TV and been having problems with the audio.

I've connected the mini DVI to the TV via a mini DVI to HDMI cable and I've had no problems getting the visuals. I tried connecting a Toslink cable to the Digital Audio Out (Optical) port on the back of my TV to the headphone socket using the mini Toslink adaptor and I've had no joy in getting audio.

Opening system preferences and sound it tells me "The selected device has no output controls."

Anybody know how to fix it? Or what has gone wrong? Is there a setting on the Macbook or the TV i should be altering? I've tried checking the TV manual and online but haven't been able to solve the issue.

Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks! :)

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried connecting the TOSLINK cable to the Optical In of the TV?

3. HFM thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm that's the kinda conclusion that i am reaching... that my tv may not have one and i may be an idiot! suggestions on connection audio? if i'm daft enough to stick it in the out port, i clearly need help! :)

4. simsaladimbamba

Doesn't the TV's manual help in some way? The version I found (to check for myself) takes ages to download, as Samsung is not that kind of company to provide manuals for all their products I guess.

5. HFM thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i've been through the TV manual as well, they had it online at their website, but all it says is check your Apple manual...

i read the bits on connecting home entertainment systems and windows platform and they said use that port for audio. truth be told i don't really understand the concept of 2 way audio channels... and i've read that on some tvs it has to be overridden, but I couldn't find anything on it with regard to doing it for my TV.

think i may have to try wiring it up a different way...

6. simsaladimbamba

Uih, you found the manual on the Samsung page? Hmm, Google didn't find it.
    Anyway, I looked myself and HDMI seems to be the only digital input.
    Maybe there is a DVI+TRS (3.5mm) to HDMI adapter out there?

Maybe this can help somehow?

How to: Connect a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro to a TV

7. HFM thread starter macrumors newbie

8. HFM thread starter macrumors newbie

hello,

i've solved the problem so i just thought i'd let you know (in case anyone else experiences the problem).

the answer is:

1) connect the mini dvi to hdmi cable into hdmi port 2 on the tv to get the picture.

2) connect the rca cable with the 3.5mm jack on the other end to the dvi(in) hdmi2 port (next to hdmi port 2) to get the audio. it would appear you have to use that port otherwise it won't activate the audio!

Sound and vision! :)

9. Cpt.Caveman macrumors newbie

I have the same TV as you, same model of macbook, yet I can't get the damn thing to work with sound. mini dvi to dvi -> dvi to hdmi + 3.5mm to RCA.

Using hdmi port 2 and the audio in next to it. Do you think you could tell me your settings for the tv ? Like for the source settings, did you enter PC for HDMI2 ? Maybe a picture of the backside of the tv, who knows, maybe I'm doing it wrong, although it's kinda hard to get wrong from these instructions.

I am so stuck with this, the cables are new btw.