Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlDavis

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I purchased a new LG 4k monitor (LG-UK650) and now there is no boot screen. I have to turn the monitor off in order for the Mac Pro (Mid 2012) to show a boot screen. The video card is an AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072 MB and I used all connections with no success. The OS is Sierra 10.12.6. Any suggestions? Is the fix in High Sierra?
Thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I purchased a new LG 4k monitor (LG-UK650) and now there is no boot screen. I have to turn the monitor off in order for the Mac Pro (Mid 2012) to show a boot screen. The video card is an AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072 MB and I used all connections with no success. The OS is Sierra 10.12.6. Any suggestions? Is the fix in High Sierra?
Thanks
BootScreens don't work with DP1.2, you have to set your monitor to DP1.1.

No software update or Mac Pro firmware update can resolve this, it's a problem of Sapphire HD 7950 EFI.

There are various threads about this problem, do a little search and learn the workarounds people do to overcome this.

AlDavis

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2007
DP1.1 on new LG 4k monitors do not exist.

The Radeon HD 7950 supports 4k over display ports. However, we have to tweak it in order to get it to work thus making no sense to me.:(

Oh well...

Last edited:

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Unfortunately it's not a new issue. Nothing much you can do. If you have a second monitor or are willing to obtain one, you should be able to use that one to display the boot screens, and then your 4K will turn on after booting.

If you want it all (a single 4K @ 60Hz monitor that shows boot screens) your only option is to buy a Maxwell or later card from MacVidCards. Aside from the expense, the biggest downside is needing to install Nvidia Web Drivers every time the OS is updated. And if you have (or will have) any desire to install Mojave, there are as of yet (two months after release) no Nvidia drivers for those cards in Mojave. It's anyone's guess as to whether or not there will ever be.

AlDavis

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2007
What I'm hearing is very disappointing. Is it not Apple the problem??? All drivers should work, but wait..... The new Mac Pro is $3,000. So thanks a lot Apple. It's all about business!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.