No built in 4G? What are you guys using for on-the-go internet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Walter Bell, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Walter Bell macrumors regular

Planning on using Mywi from my iPhone 4. What about everyone else?

2. hsl macrumors regular

i'm using a huawei mifi e585

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

iPhone tethering :D via Bluetooth
    4G or 3G uses a lot of power or battery

4. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

Virgin Mobile MiFi - $40 a month w/ no contract

5. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Im using Pre paid USB internet stick, but im thinking of getting MiFi so i just dont have to connect anything through USB.

6. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

USB internet sticks are cheap these days. Better on both devices' batteries and no need to JB your iPhone.

7. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

how do you go about this?

8. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I use Sprint's 4G Overdrive mobile hotspot which supports up to 5 devices. In our case, it supports a MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and two WiFi iPads when we are on the road.

9. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

iPhone 4 tethered with USB or bluetooth. The last thing I wanted was to pay for 3G/4G in this thing and buy another data plan.

10. HardLuckStories macrumors regular

I had 3g ipad on three uk, great service. how is the Huwai? i'm thinking of getting this, but also considering a usb stick? cheaper? but perhaps performance not as good.

edit: also have bberry but think o2 uk charge to tether

11. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Iphone 4 tethered for bits and bobs when i don't have wifi, but thats not at any of the usual places i go to.

12. hsl macrumors regular

Well, for one device a usb stick would do the trick fine, but it has two major disadvantages:

1. it sticks out of the laptop, quite annoying.
    2. you can only use it on the laptop, (sometimes I want to share the connection with other devices or/and people)

13. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

yes you can, same goes for iphone, jailbroken or not

14. elwood58 macrumors member

You can always turn on Internet Sharing on the MBA, and share the USB Data Connection out via WiFi.

15. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

3 uk do a wifi dongle which I have, it's made by huwaie and cost around £50! I think you can unlock them for other networks too!

Which I need to look Into due to 3 having no service at my new place :(

16. BillTheConqeror macrumors newbie

A rooted Samsung Galaxy S with 3G mobile hotspot.

17. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

So bummed I missed out on this. Anywhere to still find it w/out jb?

18. darrellishere macrumors 6502

Im using my iPhone4 on 3three UK! Tethering is a FEATURE! FREE! and SO SIMPLE! :D

Although it dose block my gay chat, directing me to their adult pay content on my Macbook Air! What!!!!!!!! Ow well cant have everything straight forward! LOL

19. rkb macrumors member

At this very moment I'm posting on my shiny new MacBook Air tethered to my iPhone 4 using MyWi:D

20. bossxii macrumors 68000

MyWi for the past few years on 3GS and now the 4. When AT&T gets their S@#t together and offers the iPhone as a hotspot and adds it onto the (grandfathered) 30 unlimited plan, for a reasonable price I'd consider not JB my iPhone as the it has no use to me other than the MyWi app. I considered a Mifi but it's another device to carry and charge, not going to happen for me.

21. HardLuckStories macrumors regular

Ok, job done. The Beast 11 is now complete. £40 for mifi, £15 rolling contract 5GB allowance. Web interface for setup, speeds comparable to home connection, its got win all over it

I work on ship in UK 3 weeks on/off, the ipad 3g on Three was awesome, this combo is even better, very satisfied customer!

A word to all the tether-ers, i tried that on the 3g iphone using Cydia- iModem. Mediocre performance, dropped connections, overheated phone all the time (destroyed battery), needed to be plugged in to charge, fail written all over it i'm afraid.

edit: O2 500MB p/month- £7.50 bolt on...yea right!

Attached Files:

22. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Do you have to pay extra for the AT&T tethering service to be able to tether your iPhone 4? I don't know how to do it. I have an iPhone 4.

23. KPOM macrumors G5

Nexus One with wi-fi hotspot "tethering." Froyo is great.

24. rkb macrumors member

I don't know if AT&T ever offered their anticipated tethering app, if they do than it's most like a high $ deal.

If you have the unlimited plan on your iPhone simple jailbreak the phone using limera1n. This is über easy to do and will allow you to install the third party app store Cydia.

Once in Cydia you can purchase the app MyWi, this app turns your iPhone into a wireless router that can be discovered by your MBA.

The app MyWi is 20 bucks but then it uses your 3G network and there is no monthly fee. If however, you do not have a unlimited data plan then be very careful with your usage!