No call or voicemail indicator

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PostHate, Sep 17, 2012.

1. PostHate macrumors member

I get home and drop my iPhone on the coffee table, I jump in the shower, I come out and relax on the couch for a couple hours watching a movie.

A few hours later I pickup my phone to check the weather or something and I see that many hours ago (right when I was in the shower) I missed a call and a voicemail message.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Is there any way to have a new call indicator, such as a beep every 5 minutes or so? I hate that I have to check my phone all the time. I only live in an apartment, but there are times that I can't hear my phone in the other room (like when washing a glass in the sink) and I hate that I have to check my phone every time I come back.

For such a versatile device you would think that there is a way to do this, no?

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I understand that this is (apparently) very important to you, but it's not that difficult to set the ringer on high or to check your phone after you've been away from it.

3. PostHate thread starter macrumors member

My ringer is on high and it's a pain to have to check the phone so often. That one time when I forget to check it is when I missed an important call that I didn't know was coming. It seems like a very easy task that many of my previous phones have been able to do.

There are a lot of things that "aren't difficult" to do yet ways are found to make them easier. The iPhone (and Apple in general) is the epitome of this concept, so I don't think what I am asking for is too out of line.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

There's a "Repeat Alert" option under Messages in notification center that applies to SMS/iMessage notifications. It would be nice if they added the same option to missed calls and voicemail.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Perhaps. Perhaps not. I guess Sir Ive hasn't deemed it necessary or aesthetically pleasing.

I suppose my real gripe is that you're simply rehashing the exact same thing that's been discussed before, but you felt the need to start a new thread about it. I did a simple search for "indicator" in the iPhone section and found these for you:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1439674

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1438719

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1401519

Enjoy. Perhaps the people there will be more sympathetic to your complaints.

6. PostHate thread starter macrumors member

Honestly, I don't care about your gripe. You can start a new thread with it instead of trolling my thread. This is NO way to treat new members.

----------

Agreed.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Wow. Sensitive much?

I was giving my opinion, some advice, and giving suggestions for how to use the forum. I fail to see how that qualifies as trolling. In addition to that, I gave you several links to help you out (something I did not have to do). In what ways are those actions mistreating you as a new member?

Last I checked, this is a forum, with the implication being that it thereby contains opinionated back-and-forth. If you can't handle that, may I suggest that you go elsewhere?

8. omyard macrumors regular

While his wording might be a bit harsh, he did provide you links and before just posting a new thread it's always good to look for a search function before asking as question that might've been asked a hundred times before. It's the best way to treat new members, and old members too, don't spoon feed people information because they're too lazy to look for themselves.

I've joined plenty of forums and done the exact thing you just did and received zero help because of it. It's taught me that instead of just asking a question that has been asked hundreds of times to use the search function. Maybe I lose the ability to ask my specific question, but I can read the same type of responses I'd receive without having to wait.

Plus he provided links. That's far more than most people will do.

9. PostHate thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, people hijacking threads just to crap them about their own gripes does tend to set someone off, just like intended by the troll. As for being sensitive, there is only one guy here who came to complain about his delicate sensitivities being hurt by someone asking for an option on a phone.
    The links you gave are worthless. One of them is talking about a WATER indicator inside the phone and the other two are about red light indicators which we all know the current iPhones do not have. None of the links help with a software update to make an audible indicator, something realistic.

BTW, you didn't post the links to help me, you posted them to scold me for bringing up an issue that you apparently are sensitive about.
    This is a technical thread that you purposely chose to crap on because you don't like the topic. It's YOU who needs to go elsewhere. I'm sure there are plenty of off-topic forums you can go troll.

----------

Another post that has nothing to do with the topic.

Both of you are trolling in a technical forum and this behavior has to stop right now.

If you don't like a topic being posted too often, do not click the thread. The title is very clear, you knew exactly what the topic was. Instead of moving on to the next thread, you clicked on this one in order to get on top of your soapbox and scold me for doing something that you didn't like.

What children...

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

Oh I see what your problem is. You are talking about a software feature so you should look in the iOS forums.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Wow, wow, wow. You worked up quite the rant in your little novella there, didn't ya? Feel better? Like crapping on others trying to give you a little help? That's a surefire way not go get any more. For the record, if there is any trolling going on, it would be from your end.

Don't forget, you're the one who started a thread asking if said situation happened to anyone else and asking for thoughts and opinions. However, once they were provided, and additional help & advice were thrown in, you blew your gasket and started to rage against the other posters.

That's trolling, newbie.

BTW, in regards to your "childish" accusations, your fit is FAR MORE reminiscent of my daughter's than anything anyone has posted in this thread of yours.

12. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I haven't tried this but phone does have a LED flash for alerts under settings/general/accessibility. I'm pretty sure it just flashes the camera flash for a alert but might do the job?;)

***Nevermind it looks like it might just flash once*** I tried lol...

13. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

But to get back on topic... I agree with this 100%. All of my previous phones have had "repeat" reminders, or at least a flashing LED indicator to remind you that you missed something. This, along with status bar icons for missed calls and texts... Very much missed from my Android phone. I'm not sure why iPhone doesn't include these.

14. PostHate thread starter macrumors member

Yup. I can't see how it would hurt. They could put an LED under the black tint so you would never know it's there into it flashed. Even if they didn't want an LED, they could allow a reminder alert to be sounded at preset intervals. How could it hurt to have this feature?

----------

I mentioned that in the first post:

I think the general iPhone forum is a perfectly fine spot for this question.

15. Codepiink macrumors regular

I have the same issue as you. It's that one time I don't immediately check my phone after getting out of the shower or from re-entering the room where my phone is that I miss an important call. I wish iOS6 has a repeat reminder as the messages feature has. I utilize that, but not having one for phone calls is killing me.

16. PostHate thread starter macrumors member

Maybe with so many people supporting this, they will make a modification int he next release.

17. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Not likely... Back before iOS 5 released, I had a similar thread, regarding status bar icons for missed calls and texts... A simple feature that I'm pretty sure has been on every dumbphone I've ever used, as well as Android... Now we got a notifications pull-down, yet no status bar icon to indicate that you have any unread notifications... Drives me crazy that I have an extra step (pulling down the notification bar) which shouldn't be necessary (and isn't on any other phones) just to check.