No carrier anymore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sirpots, Mar 29, 2012.

1. sirpots macrumors regular

Was this a feature in the last update I no longer have a carrier showing on my iPhone. It looks like a photo from the apple website. My service has been pretty bad too even though it says I have full bars wit download speeds < .15mb

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

3. sirpots thread starter macrumors regular

sorry in lecture so im doing this low key haha

Attached Files:

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Probably a silly question, but have you rebooted the device recently? When did the issue start?

5. sirpots thread starter macrumors regular

yup I restarted, and I had just upated to 5.1

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Shouldn't make any difference.

This bug has cropped up in the past.

Try toggling Airplane Mode on and off again.

8. sirpots thread starter macrumors regular

Yea definitely can tell you that I am not roaming... yes I have toggled airplane mode on and off... still no carrier

9. jimbo999 macrumors newbie

I'm going to guess that you're on an Alltel plan, am I right? The reason it is showing up that way is the 5.1 iOS update changed the carrier settings, and your Alltel prl is apparently not flagging your SID as a Verizon system. My wife's 4s does the same thing when we are in our home area, which is an Alltel converted area. It shouldn't be a big deal though, everything should work just like it did before. My guess is that Verizon will push a new prl after enough people complain.

Out of curiosity, what prl are you on? (settings--general--about--carrier--then tap where it says Verizon 12.0)

There's a thread about it on Verizon's forum. See here: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/770205

10. sirpots thread starter macrumors regular

dude that is crazy I was a former alltel customer! I guess that solves it. my prl is 40087. I have a question for you, does your wife's 3G just drop randomly to 1xRTT? It does on my all the time and its annoying

11. jimbo999 macrumors newbie

No, I haven't noticed her phone dropping to 1xRTT at all. Her phone also has 40087.

I hope eventually they will stop maintaining a separate "Alltel" branch of PRL's. From what I've read, most of the old Alltel SIDs have been switched over, but apparently not all of them.

12. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

Dropping to 1X for no apparent reason is a characteristic of CDMA in general, I think. My Alltel phones did it all the time too. My area was divested to AT&T who built out a new UMTS network. Guess what? While not NEARLY as often, my AT&T phone will drop to GSM (similar speeds to 1X) for no apparent reason.

At least in CDMA there's an explanation (EVDO is data only, there's always a 1X connection). In the GSM family, UMTS handles everything. The phone has to connect to the GSM network after losing UMTS. Yet if it's been searching for awhile, and you drive back into an area that has both GSM and UMTS (see below my note on that here), it will often pick up GSM then some minutes later switch to UMTS. This is strange, but even somewhat explainable. What's really weird is when late at night, at home, I'll drop to GSM for no real reason. Alltel would drop to 1X at the same times often. AT&T has seemed to have fixed this recently - but WHY only late at night, and WHY did it continue to happen with the new AT&T network?

The really weird thing is that AT&T's UMTS coverage here is far greater than their GSM (Alltel ran both CDMA and GSM, GSM being only to provide roaming service, and thus they didn't have GSM on any newer sites or more isolated sites - WWCA was the company that built the GSM and Alltel just kept it up didn't expand it. AT&T added UMTS to every site, and *integrated* the GSM with their network, but did not expand the GSM coverage at all. And the many new sites AT&T has built have only UMTS).

13. sirpots thread starter macrumors regular

well my thing is that If i ever do "data" my phone will drop to 1xRTT to No service. IF i try to stop using the data, poof my phone will work and display 3G. I had a droid X before my iPhone and it happens on both phones, I think its from the transition and what the guy said above me, my PRL is telling it to look for non exisiting alltel towers instead of verizon towers.

14. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

CDMA is a weird beast indeed. The air interface is very modern, much more so than GSM (though not UMTS, aka "3GSM"). But the back end - authentication, switching, etc. That's the old ANSI system used by AMPS analog and the old IS-136 TDMA. It's been hacked onto a little (switch to MEID because ESNs ran out, A-key to prevent cloning, etc), but fundamentally the same. And yes, it does weird things roaming.

Still, I roamed and had good EVDO plenty of places with my Alltel phone, so that alone doesn't explain what you're seeing. I had lots of random drops to 1X (and even on AT&T I get random drops to GSM). So random drops to old tech are semi-common. What you're seeing sounds more like a specific failure to authenticate on the data network, or other failure to connect. Because you're seeing the network fine (so the phone isn't looking for the wrong network! Not a PRL thing!), but then losing it when you try to establish a session...

As for a solution however, I'm lost. Other than to say... the first couple levels of tech probably will be too. Push your way up the chain.

15. sirpots thread starter macrumors regular

Yes will try that. I also my try a thunderbolt just for the 4g. a my friend is selling one brand new for 5o. Hopefully android wont kill me :p. Hope apple hurries up with the next iPhone