No charges for 8 LAPD officers who fired 100 bullets on innocent women during hunt for deranged ex-c

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 28, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/no-charges-8-lapd-shot-innocents-manhunt-article-1.2511683

criminal negligence charges should be the LEAST they had faced. you can't trust the district attorney or police like this. are these clowns still employed?

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Insufficient evidence? How about the bullet holes in an innocent person's car?

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

how "innocent" can she be? after all she did make bullet sounds when she threw those newspapers out her window, how evil of her..............

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

more than 100 bullets at a pickup truck.....and BOTH women survived???

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This should be no surprise coming from the LA gestapo. One of the three most corrupt "police" forces in this country (along with NYC and Chicago).

It's 2016. Everyone in America knows police are above the law at this point. Laws do not apply to those with badges.

6. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Even if it couldn't be proven that they acted unreasonably when they shot up the truck surely there was something up with the 7 homes and 9 other vehicles they hit.

7. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

but they killed half a dozen birds dogs and cats and a rat or two.

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

spray & pray, spray bullets & pray they hit something :p

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The question here isn't about whether it was an example of good police work. (It obviously wasn't.)

The question is whether or not the officers were criminally responsible. And the answer to that question, at least under the way law enforcement currently operates in LA, and most of the rest of the country is: No.

For the officers to be held criminally responsible there would have to be evidence to suggest that they acted with either intent to shoot up innocent people; or exhibited a very high level of reckless indifference.

If you want to have the conversation that we ought to hold Police officers to a higher standard; or that all too often cops get away with killing innocent people - then I guess I'll see you at the next Black Lives Matter event.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

here you go.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The fact that anyone can actually believe throwing a newspaper on the ground resembles gunfire, is corruption in itself.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

In order to convict the police officers in the Dormer case, the prosecutor would have to prove that the cops actions were markedly different from what other police officers have done in similar situations. And, in something of a Catch-22 situation - they weren't. Cops (in this country) regularly riddle suspect vehicles with gunfire when they believe the occupants pose a risk. The prosecutors also have to take into account the totality of the circumstances - the suspect they were after had already killed; was heavily armed, and had vowed not to be taken alive. The vehicle the innocent newspaper delivery people were in somewhat resembled Dormer's vehicle - especially in the dark.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At least send them back to clown college to teach them keep their eyes open when they pull the trigger on their gun.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

this is why I hate the way they operate, civilians would be in jail for this while they can simply say it's part of the job blah blah blah..

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Translation ..... Cops are allowed to shoot 100 rounds into any vehicle that remotely matches a description and makes any type of sound.

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no kidding, if you don't prosecute them then please make them unemployed as they are not fit to serve.

17. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

bad ammo, they should use this :

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I prefer this one

opens to 1.25" on .45 ACP

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well not exactly.

But if they have reason to believe that the vehicle's occupants are armed and intent on committing violence - yes.

Don't think that I'm not concerned about this situation. It alarms me as much as anyone. But we have to address the larger issues of police violence; as well as the widespread availability of deadly firepower in this country. At the very least we need to have national conversation about how police are trained; what their individual police department policies are regarding the use of force.

Black Lives Matter tried (somewhat ineffectually, IMHO) to address this issue last year. And were promptly labelled a dangerous hate-group by most of the right-wing media.

Until we start taking the issue of police violence and excessive force seriously; then I'm afraid we are going to see incidents such as this. And its no use prosecuting cops who - rightly or wrongly - think they are just doing their job.

20. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

no it is a sign you should not be a cop.

21. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

It is just as ridiculous as this other similar incident, where the cops killed who they shot at:

Cleveland fires six police officers, including Michael Brelo, involved in 137-shot barrage that killed two unarmed people in 2012

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...s-involved-137-shot-barrage-article-1.2510533

Oh, they were fired? Isn’t that nice. They should have been charged and sent off to prison.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think the Albuquerque police are supposed to be pretty bad.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Cops should have to follow the Geneva conventions.. ie. don't shoot unless shot at. If cops can't handle that or are too paranoid, they aren't qualified to do the job. Period.

And I'm sick and tired of hearing how cops have "such a dangerous job" as an excuse for this crap. Police barely even make it in the top 10 of most dangerous jobs.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If a suspect appears to be going for a gun then the police should be allowed to shoot, for a recent example watch the video of the police killing the militant in Oregon, if they hadn't shot one of them would have died. However if police are going to use that excuse they better have video or a lot of witnesses to back up what they say.

25. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I'm not sure how one can measure corruption, but would say in modern times New Orleans beats LA. I have an opinion of a Northern California department is or at least was (no, not mine) more corrupt than LA.