No Christmas Tree at Sea-Tac

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by joepunk, Nov 15, 2007.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Ok so since the local airport, Sea-Tac, has decided to avoid another "war" over Christmas decorations, specifically Christmas trees

see link

They come up with this as the alternative to the Christmas tree

ugly fugly :(

Attached Files:

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I don't quite get it. They are still decorating for Christmas, so isn't it the same thing as a Christmas tree? Or are they decorating for "Winter"?

3. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

If the airport receives federal funding than technically it would be against the first admendment by "respecting the establisment of religion". Christmas is actually celebrated by Christians during the winter time because of the fact that the Pagans celebrated the Winter Solstice which falls on the 21st or 22nd (depending on the year) of December. Jesus was not born in December, it is believed he was born in the spring or summer. With that said it might actually be respecting Pagan beliefs to decorate at all. Either allow all or none. Their current decoration isn't all that bad, but it is surely to upset some people.

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I don't think it's so bad. It's a lot better than having to call the FBI in again.

5. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

yeah that is ugly once i went to Sea-Tac and the Christmas tree was butiful but now its ugly

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That is one ugly thing.

I'm not Christian, and even I object to this. Christmas these days is really a non-religious holiday. Just about the only people who do get religious over it are retailers.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sorry, but you are wrong. First Amendment deals with Congress passing laws endorsing or prohibting religion, not funding an airport.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html

8. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

This sucks. Being a local, I'm a little upset that Sea-Tac won't have a Christmas tree. Yes, christmas is a religious holiday, but the Christmas tree is not a religious symbol, is it?

I'm always curious if they people who object to this are really people of other faiths or are they athiests? Nothing against athiests, of course. I'd just be curious to find out :eek:

Edit: I read the link stating that a Rabbi wanted a menorah. My second question is more of a general one, not just this particular incident. BTW, I really have no objection to a menorah either.

9. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I never understand why people make the argument that Christmas (or Easter) is a pagan holiday. Sure the date was chosen to supplant a pagan holiday, but Christmas most definitely a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ and therefore a Christian holiday, no matter when the actual birth took place.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I don't really get it. Why couldn't they have a Christmas tree and a menorah in the same place? And whatever else-- does Kwanzaa have some sort of symbolic decorative thing? And whatever else another religion might have? Can't they all be displayed? :eek:

11. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I absolutely hate when companies get all into the politically correctness of stuff.

When they say "happy holidays" to be politically correct instead of "merry christmas" or "happy hanukkah" or whatever, they are still saying "religious" things.

What are the roots of the word holiday? hmmm.... "holy" + "day".

If companies want to be politically correct then they should just not say anything or put up any decorations. I suppose they could say "season's greetings" but what does that really mean?

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah but then you run into trouble because someone won't play nice with the others. If a Wiccan wants to have a star put up in their name to celebrate Winter Solstice in the same location as all these other displays, guess who's gonna get all upset?

And imagine if someone wanted to put a Voodoo symbol up. Or the Satanists show up. Or Fred Phelps. Or Christian Identity. It would get ugly fast. That's why most places opt to do none rather than all, given the choice.

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I know know that. :p But still... it's a bad sad and silly that we can't all just respect that we can be different enough to have different beliefs-- but similar enough to believe so passionately in a faith, you know? And to just, accept our differences and learn to be okay with that.

Sigh.

Peas on Earth and all that.

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

honestly, a christmas tree is as secular as they come in term of symbols and i seriously doubt that any atheist would object to it. it's like santa.

the equivalent of the menorah would be a nativity scene, not the tree.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The First Amendment also applies to states and municipalities. I'm assuming that the airport is city-owned, hence, religious items would technically be unconstitutional.

But then you get into trouble with atheists, who want nothing up. What do you say to them? Frankly, Chirstmas trees don't bother me one bit, I'm just trying to play devil's advocate. :eek:

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No problem! Just set aside some display space with nothing in it for the atheists! :p

18. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I can't possibly think of a greater tragedy than the lack of a Christmas tree in an airport. Civilization is clearly coming to a quick end.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I like it!:p:D

Seriously though, I would be upset if Christmas trees were a heavily religious item. The fact is, they're not. Now if you tried to put up a Cross or something, then I would have objections.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Only because it has been interpreted that way. The amendment as written dealt only with Congress. Not state, local or other authorities. Also, a Christmas tree is not a religious symbol.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

:D:D:D

While Christmas may be a christian celebration, christmas trees are a pagan german solstice symbol.

The world is not going to collapse without a tree at sea tac.

For those who aren't christian, the holidays can get pretty dreary. Either you pretend to be a part of it or spend an endless amount of time explaining and eventually arguing about it.

22. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

We've got two threads already about the "war on Christmas", and it's only half way through November.

Why is this even an issue? Does anyone lose their arse over nonparticipation in Talk Like a Pirate Day, or World Vegan Day?

23. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

It wouldn't be discussed in November if people didn't insist on decorating and promoting the Christmas season so early. The US literally spends almost 1/6 of the year in the "Christmas season".

It's an issue to people here because most believe it shouldn't be an issue to begin with, if that makes sense...

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What will all the little boys and girls do when they wake up at Sea-Tac on Christmas morning? :(

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I believe I know what you mean. Tis the season to be overbearing.