No-Contract/Unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hercurliness, Oct 31, 2012.

1. hercurliness macrumors member

So I want to buy a non-contract iP5 phone from Verizon....but the sales associate told me that the non-contract must be used with a monthly plan (rather than 2 year agreement).

Here on MR I see a lot of people buy iPhones at full price from AT&T and Verizon. Did you buy it without contract, and then proceed to unlock it yourself (or pay to have in unlocked)?

I'm really confused....

2. Cebuano1976, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

Cebuano1976 macrumors regular

I bought a Verizon iPhone 5 for $849, already unlocked, no contract, used on T-Mobile. I got it at Fry's Electronics though.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

All verizon iphone 5 phones are unlocked for any GSM carrier and offcourse will work for Verizon. You wont be able to activate it on sprint.
    What is the question again? That some sales rep said you have to use it on verizon with a monthly plan? What do you want to do with it and what company do you want to use it with?

4. buddybd macrumors 6502

Yea non-contract is the monthly plan, but you can cancel after you get it since you have no contractual obligation to keep Verizon's connection.

Verizon IP5 are unlocked by default but does not work on LTE spectrums of AT&T, so if you want to use it on AT&T + LTE, get one from them instead.

5. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

That being said, you can either buy it full price and it'll be unlocked, or buy it from someone on contract and unlock it via eBay or something.

6. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

I got my AT&T iPhone at Best Buy, full price. Unlocked using unlock_fusion on eBay.

edit: never mind didn't see your with verizon

7. hercurliness thread starter macrumors member

Makes sense. Since it isn't a 2 year contract, I take it that there was no early termination fee.

8. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

If you get the phone full price.. it's not locked. Device-only is unlocked AT&T or Verizon.

9. buddybd macrumors 6502

No there isn't. I upgraded at full price and all I had to do was transfer my old number to the 5. I can still transfer it back to my 4S and sell off the 5 if I want. In my Verizon account, nothing else changed, my subsidized-upgrade date is still the same as before, which means I am under the same 2 year contract and no extension of sort was made to it.

There are many on the forums who upgraded at full price and sold it off later for profit, so you should be good. Verizon reps (over the phone) have always been very helpful for me, so you can always confirm by asking them again.

10. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

I thought that too but when I first synced it with itunes it didn't give me the congratulations message.

11. hercurliness thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I see :) Thank you so much.

12. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Ah well you're supposed to restore it right away, and then try popping in a foreign / diff carrier SIM. Either way, sometimes it just doesn't show the message but is unlocked.