No credit $500 deposit wont receive it for 12 months

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DAM-Photography, Jun 16, 2009.

1. DAM-Photography macrumors member

So I went to ATT yesterday to get setup for my iPhone; I'm switching providers. After waiting for 25 minutes I'm finally helped and was told because i don't have any credit I will have to pay $500 deposit and wont get it back for 2 months. Is there any way around this? I find it ridiculous.

2. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

There is no way around it, period. Unless you happen to have an extra nice customer service rep. Why do you find it ridiculous? You have NO credit. They have no idea if you are a stand up individual who pays their bills on time. What if you decide to purchase the iPhone get the plan and not pay your bills. Then, they are stuck with trying to get the money from you. If you pay $500 deposit, if you disappear on them, they have your $500.

3. chriszzz macrumors 6502

Get credit and try again in a few years or pony up $500.

4. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

its not Att's fault. Without Credit, they can't tell if you're gonna pay

5. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

You get it back in 12 months. You'll basically get 5-6 months free service. How would you suggest they give people with no credit or bad credit phones?

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This is actually common amongst ALL wireless carriers. I've even read reports of some people being asked to pony up $750 or more.

Chances are good that another carrier will also request a deposit from you if you were to switch. And yes, you do get the deposit back after you pay your bill on time for 12 months.

7. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

DAM-Photography has a point. Why can we just pay for the phone up-front. If its $799 or $999, let it be. If people can't cough out $799, let them get the $299 or $399 iphone with a 2 year contract. No More 2 year Bull crap contract.

The credit check is TOTALLY stupid. If I paid $39 a month for x minutes, just shut my freakin phone off when my minutes are up.

8. joro macrumors 68020

joro

It goes back to risk, if I am a new customer and even if I pay full-price for a phone, there is still a cost to a cell phone company of you using minutes and data. So if you don’t pay for your plan the company is now stuck with the bill. Moreover, there is a rather substantial charge to send these types of accounts out to collection agencies which further increases the cell phone company’s costs.

Bottom line, if you’re willing to pony up a $500 deposit, chances are you are going to pay on time. It’s a simple equation really.

9. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Also, one more thing I forgot to point out is that I do agree $500 is a little steep for a deposit but maybe it’s tied to the plan he’s choosing. Obviously an iPhone plan with data is going to be more expensive than a plan that is for a basic cell phone and DOESN’T include data.

10. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I understand about running up the minites and data. It is not difficult to shut off a phone from the carrier when the minutes are up. For example, TMobile's pay as you go kinda plan. Minutes up, you are done.

11. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

u have a friend or family member that could put it in their name?

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate to state the obvious but OP, you need credit to do almost anything in this day and age. Given the fact that you have no track record,i.e., credit, ATT has no idea if you'll pay your bills on time.

Build up your credit and you'll not run into these issues.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

If you don't like their rules go to another carrier.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

AT&T is also subsidizing the cost of the phone - so the $500 deposit is also securing the fact that you received a $599 phone for $199, for example. If you were to bail on the 2-year contract, AT&T would be left holding the bag on the cost of your phone if you didn't pay the deposit.

There typically are ways to buy a phone and pay as you go, but you pay full price for the phone. In the case of an iPhone, I think that price is $599. At least with a deposit you can get it back; not so if you buy the phone outright.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats how all cellphone providers did business for years now. Welcome to the real world.
    Either pay up the deposit or get someone else to put their credit on the line for you and add you as an authorized user to the account.

16. csmitty macrumors regular

I had to pay $750, was pretty floored when I waited in line at AT&T for the 3G launch, they were out by that time and was placing an order. Said no thanks, still in shock. Went into Apple store a few weeks later and they said the same thing. So I just paid it. So it cost me almost $1k to get an 8GB 3G. But I get it back next month so free money right :D. I tried calling a few times to a few different customer service managers and they all said they couldn't do anything till 12 months and on time payments.

It'll probably go towards a 3GS, or tires for the truck. Or with this economy probably in the bank.

Bad/no credit sucks this day and age. I couldn't believe they'd want that much for a deposit. I hate to see people with worse credit than mine.

17. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Until the cell phone company declares bankruptcy and can’t afford to pay back those deposits…;)

18. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I am just curious if they will pay that $500 deposit back with interest. ;)

When I was in college and rented an apartment with deposit, I got the money back with interest.

19. joro macrumors 68020

joro

That’s amazing you got it back with interest, most of the apartments I rented I rarely got the whole thing back they also found “something.” I did get over on one apartment one time though because our dog tore up the carpet, I cut out a huge patch, replaced it with a slightly lighter piece of carpet, glued it down, and rub dirt on it to darken it to the original color. They never said anything about it though they did dock my security deposit $50 because the fan blades weren’t cleaned...little did they know…:D

20. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

haha.. rubbing dirt on new carpet is a funny story.

But, $50 for not cleaning the fan blades?? That's a robbery.

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

Most likely not

Look at it this way you are building Credit! ;) Also you might try a cheeper phone and or data plan! they might ask a smaller deposit. easier to Get a Yugo then a Rolls!

22. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I agree with the $50 being ridiculous but then again it did save me losing $500 because of the carpet being messed up. Maybe they were to busy looking at the ceiling to see the floor color inconsistency?

23. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

No you won't get interest.

The bummer about the cellphone companies is also your history with them does not build your credit except with them.

So it is good to establish that relationship with AT&T, but they do not report the credit bureaus every month and would only report you if you are late or default. All risk and no reward from that standpoint.

they need to rethink that btw. It costs them money to report to the credit bureaus every month, but it might get them better paying if people can help build their credit up by being on time with them. Which means they might keep more people on time with their payments.

Perhaps they have crunched the numbers and decided it is not worth it.

24. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Interestingly enough, the only reason I've been with AT&T for a few years is because when I first got out of college, all the other cell providers said I didn't have enough credit and wanted rather large deposits. AT&T, for some reason, accepted me as a customer with no questions asked.

I guess what I'm saying is just go with whatever provider is willing to give you service. I realize that iPhones are nice, but if you want to help build your credit (which is REALLY important), the account has to be under your name.

Or, of course, pay the deposit. :p

25. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601