No day one buyer of the iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pmau, Aug 31, 2014.

1. pmau macrumors 65816

Here's a few of my reasons not to order at day one:

* Build quality of the iPhone6

I'm sure Apple is trying, but they have to ship millions in the first few days.
    They will go for numbers and will exchange faulty units if they get complaints.

* Hardware specs uncovered.

I really like to wait for iFixIt or similar.
    How much RAM?
    Will the new radio chips and sensors cause battery drain?

* Display technology

I'm skeptical regarding display quality.
    Apple has always tried to make a good display, but they never went for the best.
    I don't mean Amoled/IPS. I mean that the IP4 had the best display of all iPhones I owned. And I bought all of them.

* iWatch / Yosemite / iOS software HYPE

I will not upgrade all my systems like I always did in the past.
    I've used Yosemite and iOS8 beta.

I'm curious what the reviews really tell us about the usefulness of features.
    It's all great if you look at the keynote but I doubt it will be that seamless when used daily.

This time I will update together with new hardware.

Meaning that I'll probably wait for a MacPro and rMBP update and then
    update to Yosemite and iOS8. Including a Thunderbolt Retina display.

It's not about personal finance, it's about investing large amounts of money for basically the same technology.

What do you guys think?
    Will you be standing in line although you already owned previous models?

I understand that new customers grow into Apple's ecosystem.
    They buy first time and that's great.

But I'd like to hear from people who probably had iPhone 4's and non-retina MacBooks.

2. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

There's a 15-day window to return an iphone so no need to wait, plenty of time to test it out.

3. mjschabow macrumors 65816

I won't be buying at launch either. I want to go to the store to compare the two sizes...so if the 5.5 inch comes out later then I'm fine waiting.

4. pmau thread starter macrumors 65816

That's not really what I meant. But thanks for the reminder.

I was pointing out a personal feeling of "overdose", regardless of the upcoming features and specs. The point not to buy on day one and wait has been slowly increasing over the past weeks.

But you can buy and return it, if you feel that's your choice in a consumer driven market.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Had day 1 iPhone 4 and 5. Neither had any issues. The iPhone 4 developed a unresponsive home button about a month before the iPhone 5 came out.
    Buying on day one gives you the same amount of build quality and piece of mind as buying from Apple any other time.
    Your logic is flawed. I'll be preordering when they are available.

6. pmau thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't think that's true. Apple has changed production and quality controls during product cycles. Just remember all the knicks in the chamfered edge and anodization problems with the black (original) iPhone 5.

7. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

I can understand your point but personally I'll be upgrading to an iphone 6 on day one.
    Mainly because my upgrade was due last month and I want to reduce my monthly tariff.
    I've had my 5 since day one and haven't suffered from any of the issues that others have reported, and I know that if there's a problem with my 6 then it's just a simple case of visiting my local Apple store for a new one.

8. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I've been buying apple products for over a decade and they have NEVER made good on something that was defective. So waiting seems silly when you do have a warranty. How are you going to determine that it's a good time to buy? Based upon what the people are saying online? LOL. I heard everything on the internet is true. :rolleyes:

9. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Not ordering day 1!

Pre-ordering days early. :)

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Did you own one? Got my day one iPhone 5 here with perfect chamfered edges. Not one scratch. And yes it's the black model.
    I'm not saying there are never issues, but most of those people who complained just didn't look after their iPhone.

11. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I wasn't going to buy it day one anyway.
    I was going to wait for the unlocked one (comes later) bit after reading up, I can just get the tmo version and throw the sim away.
    But I'm also debating a contract....I don't even know anymore.

We'll see.

I feel like the 'I've had since day one11!!' Thing is so dumb. The only thing you get is bragging rights.

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

My 5 was perfect as well, as was my 5s. More people post to complain about quality issues than to post about getting a perfect product, so I'm not surprised at the perception that the 5 series was plagued with quality issues.

13. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

In the UK you can buy unlocked on day one.

Also no bragging rights. I just order my iPhone on day one because I can afford it. I don't give a rats about what anyone else thinks or does!

14. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

As people have heard me say before:

I've had every iPhone since the original on the day of launch. This has, of course, necessitated waiting in line and/or camping out for most of those.

I'll be doing the exact same thing for this one, absolutely. This phone is going to be another upgrade across the board (mostly -- I'd prefer if they kept with the 4" screen, but that's a moot point now). I'm all about the upgrades. :)

The biggest thing, though, is that this isn't just about the specs of whatever mobile device is in my pocket. It's about how it ties in with my other iOS device (iPad Air), how it ties in with my OS X devices (Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, etc), and all the benefits iCloud integration brings as well.

In other words, I'll be getting the iPhone 6 no matter what as it will continue to fill a very important role in my own personal ecosystem and will be a measurable upgrade over my 5S, and I enjoy the atmosphere of getting it on launch-day. Some of the new phone models I was less excited about, some more so: as it turns out, I find myself quite pumped about this one.

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I agree with this. Sure there are companies that will use early adopters as guinea pigs. I don't think Apple does this.

16. eoblaed, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014

eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

There must be a flaw in your process, then. Perhaps you go well after warranty, or the product is damaged in some other way, or you walk in there waving your peener in their face (metaphor: aggressive). I don't know. But with a wife, five kids, and a mother in law, all of which have multiple Apple products, I've had my fair share of defective merchandise over the last decade or so and I've been satisfied with every interaction I've had with them. It's one of the reasons Apple's customer service consistently ranks among the highest (often the highest) in the industry.

I've had them completely swap out phones for me on multiple occasions, swap out internals of macbook pros, etc, at no charge to me. So, if you're saying they never make good on bad equipment with you, there's got to be a reason outside of Apple for that.

17. cynics macrumors G4

Although the keynotes should cover the phone pretty throughly I'm more curious about actual user reviews and unbiased tech reviews. I'm going to give it 2-3 months before purchase.

18. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

What are you blithering about?

19. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

If pre order is available for the 6 I'm going that route. If not I'll get it on day one at my local att store. Using next to upgrade it. FYI I've had the 4S, 5, 5S since day one and no issues what so ever.

20. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

If there's a 5.5" iPhone to be, I'm ordering it on day 1 [ pre-order most likely ]. Have had numerous Apple devices that disprove the ' early adopter ' theory, at least for this company.

Plus, with great CS and factory/extended [ AC+ ] warranties... there's no reason to wait.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

OD-ing is a choice that you make when one chooses to consume too much. If one can't hold his own, then he ought to do as you are and take a step back.

RE: Build Quality - If it's sub-par, I'll exchange it.

RE: Hardware Specs - Those number have never amounted much to quantifying my user experience; I don't know why/how that would change now.

RE: Display - My iPhone 5 looked great (until it fell and spiderwebbed). I suspect that the iPhone 6 will look even better.

For me personally, this isn't my wedding day or choosing whether or not to father a child; it's wanting/needing a new phone and then getting it.

22. cmanbrazil macrumors regular

If android had a their act together, i would wait. However, they don't, so no matter if another phone has better specs, the os would kill its advantages. The only thing I would wait for is the 5.5 if necessary. If they don't have a 5.5 then the Note 4 would be a strong possibility but i would have to root it. Well, I probably still would buy the 4.7 because I think ios8 integration with my mac will be well worth it. So thats it, Iphone day one. :rolleyes:

23. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I'm not going to write off a phone that hasn't even been announced yet. Especially for problems that don't even exist right now.