No dual monitor under Boot Camp Windows XP Pro on Mac Pro with ATI HD 2600 XT

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fydupre, Jul 17, 2008.

1. fydupre macrumors newbie

Recently got brand new a mac pro with standard ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card. 6 Gb or RAM, 320G HD.

On the Mac side (Leopard), everything works perfectly: my second monitor (a plasma screen connected with HDMI to the second DVI of the ATI card) is fully recognized and I can use it as an extended monitor or in duplicate mode. Everything works just great on the Mac side.

Under Bootcamp (Windows XP Pro) however, nothing: in the display properties the second monitor always appears, but it is grayed out, and when I chose to activate it (either extending the desktop or in clone mode), it stays grayed out and nothing gets displayed on it.

I tried the following (in pretty much every possible combination - Thank god for WinClone that allows me to restore the Bootcamp image without having to reinstall everything on the Windows side...):

a) Bootcamp 2.0 (installed by default by Bootcamp assistant)
    b) Update to Bootcamp 2.1

1) Windows XP Pro SP2c vanilla install (from my Windows XP install disk)
    2) Update to Windows XP SP3 (with and without BC 2.1 - BC 2.1 didn't seem to be required for SP3 - maybe because this is a mac pro and not a MB or MBP)

i) ATI drivers installed by default by Bootcamp assistant (BC 2.0)
    ii) Latest ATI drivers found on ATI web site specifically under BootCamp / Mac Pro (interestingly, CCC install works, but it seems that the driver set itself does NOT include one for the HD 2600 XT - so when I install this driver set, it tells me that no compatible hardware was found...)
    iii)Latest ATI drivers found under Windows XP (these did include one specifically for the HD 2600 XT)

Nothing seems to work. I read posts about ATI Catalyst utility showing a 3rd monitor at some point, but I never got any 3rd monitor showing in any of my many many trials.

I am actually considering upgrading to an NVidia 8800 GT just to get the dual screen to work under BootCamp/Windows XP because I really need it and I read everywhere that drivers for NVidia are far better than ATI ones.

Any advice? What should I try next before getting an 8800 ?

Thanks!

2. chscag macrumors 65816

Not much you can do if the latest ATI drivers are not allowing your second monitor to be utilized from Windows XP. Nothing new for ATI and their "Win driver of the month" mentality. You can give the nVidia a try but make sure you purchase the card from a seller who allows returns. My experience with nVidia support and their drivers has not left me impressed with them although they are better to deal with than ATI.

Don't forget, if you install the nVidia you'll have to get everything working again in OS X - which should be easier than XP - but you never know. :(

Regards.