No evidence of global warming? Oh really now?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by R.Perez, Mar 24, 2010.

1. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Disputed isle in Bay of Bengal disappears into sea

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100324/ap_on_sc/as_india_disappearing_island

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Perhaps you could tone down the combativeness a bit? Are we meant to discuss this or descend straight into culture wars rhetoric?

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

A few billion years ago the whole earth was covered mostly by water. Water levels are likely to change in the future also.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

And people are worried about it. Look at that... not only does it allow you to go to the beaches earlier in the year, its diplomacy is unmatched. :p

5. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

6. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I hardly think my thread title was combative.

That being said, I do live on an island.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

A few billion years ago, the whole earth was covered with volcanos and all life was anaerobic.

8. 184550 Guest

How long have we, as a civilazation been keeping accurate weather records? 200 maybe 300 years? Now think about 200 or 300 years in realtion to the billions of years Earth has been around. Hardly a blimp on the radar I'd say.

200 or 300 years of accurate record keeping hardly gives one the timeline needed to predict the future actions of a planet billions of years old. People who believe in global warming do not have nearly enough information on which to base their claims.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Wrap it up worldwide scientific community. It's been disproven right here. Thermometers are only a few hundred years old. I can't believe all you "scientists" tried to pull this over us.

edit: Next up: The world is only a few thousand years old because we only have documentary records from this time.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I agree, the issue is a blimp on the radar: a really big return and something we should pay attention to.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I actually just laughed out loud.

12. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

This statement is unbelievably ignorant.

13. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

You mean there are problems the world faces other than the United States' healthcare system?

Enlightening...

14. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I overlook formalities of your post... But I cannot overlook the fact that I will die before I reach 85 and the same applies to my kids. I couldn't care less about billions of years. I care about decades. As it looks now, even with some cynical consideration of the tedious eco-lobby, something is not right.

15. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Any chance Al Gore was on the island? ;) Listen, we all know sea levels fluctuate based on a variety of factors and it absurd to simply conclude that because some island in Bangladesh is more moist than normal that global warming is somehow now substantiated. Rather than worrying about some fictional climatic theory we should be concerned with real world famine in Bangladesh - I don't suppose the eco-researchers there offered to help the poor in Bangladesh did they? Or were they more interested in getting candid shots of said well-irrigated island? Moreover, last year was the coldest on record for China... are the global warming advocates figuring that into their data streams?

If this was an abstract theory I doubt folks would be as combative as they are about it; thing is, regrettably, some real decisions are being made based on this global warming theory and that has people truly concerned that their money is being wasted on fraudulent research. There are significant members of the scientific community who have exposed gaping holes in the theory of global warming. That, combined with recent well-documented instances of data fraud, indicate to the world that this "global warming" business is not yet ready for prime time and basing any policy on it is premature, whether or not far away islands in Bangladesh are wet or not!

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Got a link or did you make this up?

The scientists are - and short-term fluctuations are entirely predicted by climate change models. I'm not sure what the "advocates" are doing or indeed who they are.

edit:
    Got another link here?

17. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

I shouldn't have to provide what you can easily find yourself...

Siberian winds usher in record lows in Beijing
    BEIJING - January 4, 2010 - The Age
    http://www.theage.com.au/world/siberian-winds-usher-in-record-lows-in-beijing-20100103-lna6.html

China cold front moves south; record low in Beijing
    Wed, 06 Jan 2010 11:16:00 GMT - Earth Times
    http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/...-front-moves-south-record-low-in-beijing.html

Baby, It’s COLD Outside… Record Cold and Snow Across Globe
    Vicki McClure Davidson on January 4, 2010
    http://www.frugal-cafe.com/public_h...ld-outside-record-cold-and-snow-across-globe/

China's cold wave takes hefty toll
    February 02, 2008, Don Lee, Times Staff Writer
    http://articles.latimes.com/2008/feb/02/business/fi-chinasnow2

Forget global warming: Welcome to the new Ice Age
    Lorne Gunter, National Post Published: Monday, February 25, 2008
    http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/story.html?id=332289

Global warming sceptics buoyed by record cold
    Telegraph, Catherine Elsworth in Los Angeles
    26 Feb 2008
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ea...l-warming-sceptics-buoyed-by-record-cold.html

On global warming data fraud? You're kidding right? Do you just ignore a subject if the findings don't go your way?

UN global warming data skewed by heat from planes and buildings
    Telegraph
    http://www.climatechangefraud.com/c...data-skewed-by-heat-from-planes-and-buildings

Hackers 'expose global warming con'
    Mail OnLine
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...esearch-centre-massaged-temperature-data.html

Global Warming Fraud Exposed: The Bogus Scientific 'Consensus'
    The American Spectator
    http://spectator.org/blog/2009/11/20/global-warming-fraud-exposed-t

Climategate: the final nail in the coffin of 'Anthropogenic Global Warming
    Telegraph
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/j...n-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

And your claim was;

Moreover, and therein;

"Such temperatures are believed to be the coldest in the capital in 40 years."

"Heavy snow hit central China on Wednesday as a cold front continued to move south and brought a 38-year low"

Even this crappy blog is the same. 40 years.

"The worst snowstorm in a half-century"

"Snow cover over North America and much of Siberia, Mongolia and China is greater than at any time since 1966."

"In some parts of China and central Asia, snow fell for the first time in living memory, the NCDC noted."

So your mindless google dump of links you didn't read yet again completely doesn't support your claims.

Not ignoring anything. In case you've missed the memo the "climategate" emails amounted to naught. No fraud whatsoever. The Scientists have been completely cleared of any falsification of data in a number of investigations now. Nor does climate change revolve around any specific data set anyway. The only thing that stands is not complying with FOIAs made by climate deniers.

19. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Work with me on this one... :cool:

If global warming is proven, and it is also proven that humans have virtually nothing to do with it... should humans then actively try to end the warming? Should we work to stop-it/slow-it through atmosphere seeding, etc., or let 'nature' take it's course?

20. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If that were the case I would say no, let nature take its course. However, I think regardless of the cause we should continue to work towards minimizing our impact on the planet.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I guess that depends on whether we want to continue as a species.

22. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Exactly, surely it makes sense to at least attempt to slow global warming so society can continue...

Or is it just because it's so far away (and most of us will be dead before it's an actual huge environmental issue), that we simply don't care?

I'd love to know how future generations will look back, either calling us smart for not believing the "global warming myth", or, utter morons for not acting whilst we still had a chance...

23. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Regardless of whether you believe climate change is affected by man or not, surely it makes common sense to use less natural resources?

You can argue all you like whether or not the exhaust of a Hummer causes the icecaps to blow up or whatever, but that isn't going to change that;

1) Natural resources are finite.

2) Having loads of smog in cities, caused by exhaust fumes, factory fumes whatever aren't much good for your health.

So what would you suggest with regards to managing the worlds resources responsibly - let me take a guess and speculate that all those on the side of 'global warming is a conspiracy' haven't got anything constructive to say about this.

There is less to lose getting 'scammed' by ecologists, because we'll be able to conserve what we have an perhaps have cleaner air to breathe and all that jazz.

24. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Of course we should try to stop/slow it. Nature isn't a living being, it doesn't give a **** what we do, so why not try to save our species?

25. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

exactly: Everything we need to do to theoretically slow man made global warming is something we really should be doing regardless of the causes of global warming.

-->Fossil fuels release tons of polluntants when burned
    -->The realatively clean ones are running out and we need to develope ways to live w/o them.
    -->Mining for coal...well thats bad
    -->Developing green tech will be great for our ecconomy a capitalist nation thrives on change and we've been stagnant for too long.