No excuses to not go OLED anymore - Samsung Galaxy S2 shows the way

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ped, Feb 14, 2011.

1. ped, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

ped macrumors regular

Pentile matrix used on some older OLED displays has been the only issue I've seen anyone complain about, with regard to OLED. Now it appears even that minor issue has been put to rest.

Samsung launches new Galaxy S2 smartphone, with dual-core CPU, 16/32GB of storage, 1GB of RAM, an 8MP HD-video-recording camera, and Super AMOLED Plus display using "Real Stripe Matrix":

http://powerusers.info/modules.php?...le=article&sid=81&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Here's a closeup of the screen - awesome!:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

3. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

4. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

It's going to take Apple two more years to catch up to those specs.

5. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Speaks the truth!

6. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Huh? What am I missing? That screen is lower resolution AND lower pixel density than the iPhone 4. What's better about it?

From the specs, it's WVGA (800x480), spread across 4.3". The iPhone 4 is 960x640 across 3.5".

7. ped, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011

ped thread starter macrumors regular

Speaks the truth!

Uh, EVERYTHING ELSE.

As if battery life, contrast ratio, pixel response and refresh rate are meaningless and the only thing that matters is cramming more pixels on an already-too-tiny-to-see cellphone screen?

8. OptyCT macrumors 6502

Looks nice, though I'm not sold on phones with 4.3" screens. A little big for my taste. Maybe Zack Morris will pick one up. :)

9. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

What I wan to hear about is battey life with he dual core processor.

10. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Lmao, the iPhone has "an already-too-tiny-to-see cellphone screen" now? Are you old and blind or something? Better get those eyes checked. I will never own anything made by Samsung, cheap quality.

11. ped, Feb 14, 2011

Not sure of total, but Samsung claims 18% reduction in battery consumption (may just be referring to the screen - not sure) as compared to the Galaxy S.

Sounds like BS to me - they're one of the largest and most successful electronics manufacturing firms in the world. In fact, if Apple ever gets OLED screens in use chances are extremely good that they'll be Samsung screens, since Samsung is by far the leader and the only one producing capacities that could feed an Apple product.

How many elements do you think you can squeeze onto a 3.5" display? Cell phones already have as many pixels as desktop displays 17" had just 6 or 8 years ago. Unless you think you can use an entire desktop OS on a 3.5" screen and it be usable and useful I don't see the point of increasing pixel density at this point.

12. mrochester macrumors 65816

These OLED screens looks great. Sadly, if they're anything like the previous generation, Samsung can't make them in great enough quantity to meet demand even for their own products. That means Apple probably don't even have the option to use them, and even if they did, I doubt Samsung could make the quantity that Apple would require.

It'll be a few years before manufacturing of these OLED screens will be great enough to be able to supply Apple. In the mean time, Apple will have to use something else. This is the unfortunate situation when you have to rely on other manufacturers to make your product.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Here we go again.

It's never been about the specs, it's the software silly.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

dual core should improve battery life because they are able to do the same amount of work on less voltage.

As for OLED apple is going to have a hard time getting its hands on them as my understanding is Samsung is not really supply them to anyone else since they are using them up about as fast as they can make them.

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

cool...

really? you guys do know that :apple: uses samsungs displays, flash memory, and even Apple's A4 chip :eek:;), my backup for my iPhone is have an older samsung smartphone and some flip phones and they have never given me any trouble...http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/14/apple-set-to-become-samsungs-biggest-customer-with-7-8-billion-in-contracts/

16. ped, Feb 14, 2011

True enough on the supply, but Samsung invested US $2.1 Billion last year for a new gen 5.5 OLED factory that will be coming online in May or June this year. Once that starts, they will be ramping monthly output from 3 million to 30 million (ten-fold). So supply should be a lot less of a problem.

Also related to that, their 2011 investment budget included US $4.8 Billion more for a gen 8 OLED factory that will be producing OLED HDTVs in sizes 55" and smaller.

With their new factory bringing their total screens to 30 million a month they'll have plenty to sell.

17. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I prefer my IPS display over OLED.

Galaxy S2 doesn't show the way at anything. That thing looks exactly like iPhone 4. Original Galaxy S looks exactly like iPhone 3GS.

But most importantly, I would never buy any phones from samsung. Give the way how they handled the software updates in US with galaxy S owners.

I do not want to be stuck in 2.1 software while the rest of the world is getting 2.2 and 2.3.

Honestly, if you have to jailbreak your phone to update the latest software that was promised many months ago. That's absolutely junk. I am surprised to see how generous galaxy S owners are in US. They can tolerate the software delays from manufacturer for so long.

When iPhone 3G was so slow with iOS 4.0, people cried like babies and even tried to sue apple.

I can maybe wait 2-3 months, but wait for 6-7 month for an update?
    No.

And guess what... Most of galaxy S phones still don't have 2.2 yet in US.

No, Samsung. You are out of my life. That tablet Galaxy Tab 10.1 ain't coming in my house either.

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

The very first competitor that has, at least, drawn my attention.

We'll see how it works real world.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

And MS is wildly successful, doesn't mean I want any of their hardware or software in my house.

20. mrochester macrumors 65816

This isn't about buying a Samsung product, this is about Apple making use of this new display technology.

I wonder what the colour accuracy is like on these new displays? OLED screens typically don't have very good colour accuracy and favour more a high contrast image (this is why they tend to 'pop' when you look at them as the bolder colours are typically more pleasing to the human eye).

This new factory is probably not opening soon enough to supply parts for the iPhone 5. I suspect that it could be the iPhone 6 when we see these sorts of displays appear in the iPhone.

21. hcho3 macrumors 68030

22. ped thread starter macrumors regular

As someone else in the thread has already pointed out, you're ALREADY using Samsung components in your Apple product.

23. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

owned

24. foodle macrumors 6502

Really? I don't think so ...

dual-core CPU
    Most likely the next revision of the iPhone will use a dual general purpose CPU core processor. However, the A4 already uses a number of custom accelerator cores to accelerate common functions (e.g., video decoding). So the A4 is arguably already a multi-core CPU depending on how you define "core." Additionally, one of the reasons that Android phones makers are so hot and bothered about dual core CPUs (besides using it as a marketing buzz word) is that Android doesn't currently support GPU acceleration of the UI. This is why Android phones are a hair slower at UI functions than iPhones. So Android phones rely on the general purpose CPU for all these functions. Hence, adding a second CPU core will help a lot. For a system like the iPhone that already off-loads a lot of work to custom accelerators, adding a 2nd core might not be that noticeable.

16/32GB of storage
    iPhone has had this since 3GS

1GB of RAM
    iPhone 4 has 512MB of RAM. Besides looking good on a spec sheet, what do you need more RAM for? Note that an Xbox 360 has 512MB of RAM, and a PS3 only has 256MB. So if you use it efficiently, 512MB is plenty. Over provisioning a resource in a cell phone is a big deal, since it will draw additional power that you can't afford to waste.

8MP HD-video-recording camera
    How many Mpixels do you need in your camera? You can make an 8x10 print at nearly 300ppi with 5 Mpixels. Do you print bigger than that? Adding more photosites will just hurt low light performance and burn more power for image processing and storage.

25. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Now that there's no more Pentile Matrix, there's really very little reason to not go for OLED. It's just better in every way.