No F-16's for Iraq :(

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Apr 22, 2010.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

They can't afford it. :(

Iraq announced in March 2009 that it wants to purchase a squadron of F-16 fighter aircraft, made by Lockheed Martin Corp. But the potentially multibillion dollar deal is still going through the lengthy process of approval from the U.S. Defense and State departments, and Iraq's financial crisis, caused by plummeting oil revenues, will likely further slow the process.
    http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2010/04/22/4188990-iraq-airmen-blues-no-mig-today-no-f-16-either

http://www.trdefence.com/?p=352

2. Queso macrumors G4

I would have thought the Iraqi government has much higher priorities than buying extremely expensive fighter planes.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

How many fighters were lost in the 1st gulf war? How many were lost in the second gulf war?

Iran is now a kissing cousin? Wait, if not, than maybe a viable military is a good thing.

4. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Me too. But why not just buy some old MiGs.

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Really? You want to set up a military in a country that is supposed to now be sympathetic to us in a very dangerous part of the world, and you want to equip them with Migs?

Oh, last time I checked, Migs weren't made in the US.

6. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I don't know if selling Russian fighters to Iraq would be good from a strategic standpoint.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The SU-30 is a passably good fighter... but I think Iraq should be focusing on domestic security, I don't think jet fighters are going to be very helpful there, and there's a high likelihood that, whichever planes they buy, they will later be shooting at our people. Let them wait till the oil market improves. :rolleyes:

As for Russian arms deals, on the con side, money that goes into the Russian military-industrial complex is likely at some point to be funneled into killing people in Georgia or Chechnya. Money that goes to a US company is obviously employing Americans, so we're personally interested in it. But I'm all for Iraq being more independent, and letting them source whatever they want from wherever they want, as long as any international trouble they might cause in the future is reasonably managed....

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

WTF! What was the point of invading Iraq if we don't get to reap the benefit of our imperialism? We should get all the oil, and they should have to buy everything from us!

Otherwise, what was the point of invading?

9. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

They need them against Iran…and of course everyone around there hates Israel, but we think we can control that situation while the US Defense industry maked a profit. It might integrate in some levels with all the other smaller US craft they've already bought.

Although F-16’s are ancient relics at this point, around that neck of the woods it’s still pretty fearsome. And they will be recycled/retrofitted to fall somewhere in between current generations and “local technology” so they won’t be a threat to us but can slaughter the F-14’s in Iran.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We really want to go down the road of arming one of these two countries against the other one... again? I mean, that's not me being a liberal wuss, at this point, is it? Has there ever been a time in the past when we did this and we didn't regret it later?

11. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

As long as we don't give them a bomber. cause that will be whole new meaning towards suicide bombers.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

BINGO!

13. Queso macrumors G4

Let them drink Coke!