No FAN discount on the new 3GB plan??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NikeTalk, Jan 25, 2012.

1. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

I was considering switching to a tiered plan from my unlimited but AT&T only offers a FAN discount on the 5GB option now?? I checked several FANs (ranging from 25-28% off) and didn't see any discounts on anything below the 5GB option.

To be honest i'm not surprised just disappointed. Do they really need to be this greedy??

2. antman2295 macrumors 6502

If that's true, I'm so glad I didn't switch from the 4GB plan, and my family didn't switch from the 2GB plan.

3. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

FAN discounts vary by contract.
    The discount is negotiated between AT&T and the company you're getting the FAN discount through.

My company has NO FAN discounts for any data plans, only voice and messaging.
    That's what they negotiated.
    Greed has nothing to do with it.

4. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

Are you a student?? you may qualify for a student discount.....

I get about 15% off my monthly bill signed under a student account.

5. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

the 15% monthly bill discount applies to the voice plan, meaning if you pay $49.99 for the voice, +$30 for unlimited data, you get 15% off the 49.99 and nothing off the $30.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

7. NikeTalk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I checked another FAN which is 20% and they get a discount on the 3GB.

I just found it odd cause my FAN which is 25% works for the 2GB which it always has (got unlimited thru the loophole) but now disappeared for the 3GB plan but not 5GB. Not buying all the "negotiation" stuff, doesn't add up.

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I guess you don't understand what a FAN account is then.

FAN discounts are unique to each company or school.
    They are negotiated based on usage agreements on the back end by that particular company or school.

The company I work for provides free phones and service to it's employees for business use only.
    The service is provided by AT&T.
    As a result, AT&T has agreed to provide a FAN discount to the employees if they want to purchase a phone and plan for personal use.

That negotiated discount is based on the minimum number of corporate liable accounts the company has agreed to purchase from AT&T.

Sine my company also uses Verizon and T-Mobile (we have a choice of carriers based on region to ensure coverage), our AT&T FAN discount is not as good as if we used AT&T exclusively.
    That being said, we get the biggest discount from AT&T (23% off voice and messaging) vs. 15% off voice only form Verizon and T-Mobile.

Can you tell which company we do the most business with? ;)

So I'm not sure what doesn't "add up" in your eyes.

9. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

I agree. Our account always got 20% off the 2GB plan. I don't understand why 3GB wouldn't also get a discount. I can see 300MB getting no discount since 200MB never got one.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Why would you want to downgrade from unlimited to the 3GB tier in the first place. I could understand if you wanted to go to the 5GB with tether plan.

11. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

This !! :)

12. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

13. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

No, what happened was our landline internet went down for a while so we switched from 2GB to 5GB hotspot. Then when we switched back we could only pick 3GB. I really don't understand why all the plans can't just include hotspot. Data is data.